Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1101 - 1119 of 1119 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
When I fitted my Meerkat X pipe I wasn’t sure whether to leave the top heat shield attached to the bottom of the engine or not. In the event I left it there, but never really liked that the front mount was visible. See first pic in @Captmilk post above. I even attempted to remove it at one point but didn’t feel like pulling the X pipe off to do it, and considered cutting it off instead.

Anyway, I really like the look of the Evotech belly pan so ordered one. That cat mount point that I disliked so much is now not only hidden but is essential for mounting the bellypan.

So, just posting here to let people know that if they are removing their cat, leaving the top heat shield in place not only doesn’t hurt, it is probably a very good idea, especially if you intend fitting a bellypan. Otherwise a 10 minute job could take several hours.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
When I fitted my Meerkat X pipe I wasn’t sure whether to leave the top heat shield attached to the bottom of the engine or not. In the event I left it there, but never really liked that the front mount was visible. See first pic in @Captmilk post above. I even attempted to remove it at one point but didn’t feel like pulling the X pipe off to do it, and considered cutting it off instead.

Anyway, I really like the look of the Evotech belly pan so ordered one. That cat mount point that I disliked so much is now not only hidden but is essential for mounting the bellypan.

So, just posting here to let people know that if they are removing their cat, leaving the top heat shield in place not only doesn’t hurt, it is probably a very good idea, especially if you intend fitting a bellypan. Otherwise a 10 minute job could take several hours.
I put a different belly pan on and it works pretty well, when you get it please post a picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Updated pics with black Öhlins springs!

Mods:
Rizoma front fender
Rizoma mirrors
Rizoma bar ends
Rizoma front signals
Rizoma frame sliders
Track racer kit
Luimoto seat cover
Arrow headers
Cone Engineering shorty pipes
Analog Cycles tail tidy
Öhlins black springs

Enlight258.jpg Enlight257.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
290 Posts
Weather & work finally permitted me to get some pics of the Meerkat and BAAK belly pan with an added stainless mesh. Next up are the M.View Spy Bar End Mirror by Motogadget and Canyon Motorcycles TT wheel set and then the broomstick mods are done.......

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
I finally looked at all 1100+ posts in this thread, and I came away with a sense of the passion we have for our Thruxtons. And no, passion is not too strong a term. The Thruxton is a fabulous bike; I don't know that I've enjoyed any bike more than my "S".

None of my modifications have improved the bike's appearance; probably the opposite. And much of the bike (fenders, exhaust, saddle, engine covers) came from the factory exactly as I would want it. Still, I appreciate others' vision of what the Thruxton can be.

Mods -
sealed rims
stainless steel spokes
OEM heated grips
Scott chain oiler
SW-Motech bag mounts
Wolfman tank bag

·
Registered
290 Posts
Today the Canyon Motorcycle TT "Sulby" wheels were installed on the broomstick. Unfortunately the Gaffer wave rotors didn't make the shipment so the stock ones went back on. Oh well, another day I guess.
All in all I dig the new look, takes the broomstick to a new level with the 180 rear wheel. I'm running Dunlop's SportMax Q3 rubber and am anxious to work 'em out. Both Adrain @Canyon Motorcycles and my local shop, BHP motorsports here in Sac, were great to work with.
And now I've finished the mods

I hope.......

·
Registered
865 Posts
Today the Canyon Motorcycle TT "Sulby" wheels were installed on the broomstick. Unfortunately the Gaffer wave rotors didn't make the shipment so the stock ones went back on. Oh well, another day I guess.
All in all I dig the new look, takes the broomstick to a new level with the 180 rear wheel. I'm running Dunlop's SportMax Q3 rubber and am anxious to work 'em out. Both Adrain @Canyon Motorcycles and my local shop, BHP motorsports here in Sac, were great to work with.
And now I've finished the mods

I hope.......

The wheels look great, as does the rest of the bike(y)
will be interesting to hear how different the bike feels with the lighter wheels, do you have the weights vs the original lumps?

·
Registered
290 Posts
@CafRacer
No, I didn't think to get the weights between the wheel sets. My guess is the new TT wheels will be slightly lighter as they are also tubeless. I'd have to check with @Canyon Motorcycles to see if they've got a weight spec to confirm.
I will say, riding it yesterday was blissful and felt effortless. With the cat recently removed and this wheel set I'd get the bike dropped at least 5 lbs

1101 - 1119 of 1119 Posts