Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Driftless Admin
11,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm developing a obsession with knives, in a consumerism sort of way. Kids are out of the house and wife and I are in the kitchen together more, and I've realized we just have a ton of shitty knives everywhere. So I've been researching, starting to learn about different sorts of steel, deciding between Japanese knives and German, etc. Not quite knowing what I want.

We have one good knife. When we got married a friend gave us an old knife with a note equating our love to the knife, or something. I forget the note, but this knife has been in our kitchen since and I like it. It has a cool patina, sharpens nicely and holds a edge pretty well. And it was a great wedding gift. Honestly, I'd have forgotten about the fellow without it, he was a good guy but more acquaintance than friend. But now I think of him every time I use the thing.

The other night I realized there's a faint logo on the handle of the old knife, it's a Sabatier. That can mean anything, there's a lot a crap sold under that name. But quality ones are still made in France. So I bought some. Kinda neat having a set, old with new, like that.

High carbon steel, none of this fancy stainless stuff. Old school, authentic, simple and pretty cheap. Got a 6" and a 4" for $100, including shipping from France. Just the sort of thing an air-cooled Bonnie rider would dig.

So, what do you got?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Those are some classic good looking knives. The only photo that I have of my favorite knife (Colonel Rex Applegate Fairbairn Combat Folder) is with my first generation Walther P99 .40

·
Registered
217 Posts
This is a Kukri, sometimes referred to as a Ghurka knife. When I was in Afghanistan, we did several missions with Gurkha (Nepalese) soldiers. As a thank you, one of them made this knife for me. It is a prized possession.

View attachment 718551
Super. I have a similar one for exactly the same reason. As you say, a treasured possession.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
235 Posts
This is a Kukri, sometimes referred to as a Ghurka knife. When I was in Afghanistan, we did several missions with Gurkha (Nepalese) soldiers. As a thank you, one of them made this knife for me. It is a prized possession.

View attachment 718551
My father got one when fighting in WW11 with them in North Africa (unfortunately gone now)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Not exactly kitchen knives though ! Money spent on good quality equipment is usually a good investment bit like buying a Triumph .😇🔪

·
Registered
819 Posts
This is in my pocket all the time. Ken Onion design. It’s illegal in the UK with a locking blade, which is dumb. I’m also able to carry a concealed weapon anywhere is the US as a retired LEO.
AEFAEDFE-DE31-4E94-88E5-F676E34C7AFA.jpeg
781B926F-3A76-40A6-AD7B-61C2D0C42FD6.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
The other night I realized there's a faint logo on the handle of the old knife, it's a Sabatier. That can mean anything, there's a lot a crap sold under that name. But quality ones are still made in France. So I bought some. Kinda neat having a set, old with new, like that.

View attachment 718540
yes, quality knives are still made in the town of Thiers, France which is a centre of traditional knifemaking

some more info here https://www.couteau-laguiole.com/en/8-the-thiers

I've been meaning to get on myself

·
Registered
82 Posts
Top is a Fiskars Santoku , a very reasonably priced excellent knife and the only knife I've used in the kitchen for quite a number of years now , will take and hold an exceptional edge .
Middle is the trusty Opinel No.6 .
Bottom is a Laguiole pocket knife with Ebony scales , bought by my Wife on behalf of my Daughter for Father's day about 20 years ago , If the house was on fire and I could only grab one thing , it would be the Laguiole .
And a Lansky carbide / ceramic sharpener , which is the only thing that ever goes near any of these knives .

20200216_132732.jpg

20200216_134616.jpg

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Kramer chef knife
Tops Zero Dark Thirty
Vulture Equipment Works, Cholera Mk1
Benchmade Adamas
Granfors Bruk Small Forest Ax (not a knife...but still...)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts