Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

221 - 238 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've got a "tall touring" screen on order from Power Bronze in the UK for the 2001 Trophy I recently bought. They are the OEM supplier for Triumph, and their replacement screens maintain the same profile, shape and curvature of the standard model. I ordered one from them for my previous Trophy 1200 about 7 years ago and it was great. It's 24" tall vs. 18" for the factory screen. I'm 6'4" and the standard screen puts the air right on the tip of my nose and up under my sunglasses. The tall screen puts it right at the top of my forehead and all the bugs go right over my head instead of on my cheekbones and forehead. Clearview offers a nice replacement for taller riders also and it can be built with some lower air flow vents too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a ride last week that ended like that. Gives me an excuse to stop riding and finally wash the bike :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Current state of my Trophy 10 Years Hibernation

A gift from a coworker who's wife wanted her gone. Sitting/rusting for 10 years, 24k miles.
I have been working on her for a couple months and finally got the title today! I have her running well and put her in my name today (finally!)
I have been learning as I go, here is what is done so far...

Replaced fork seals and oil
Changed Engine Oil
New Brake Pads rear and service all around.
Bleed front and rear brakes
Bleed / cleaned clutch
Cleaned Carburetors
Synchronized Carburetors
New , Less Rusty Tank Cleaned/ Derusted Tank (Acid Treatment)
Changed Airbox filter
Fixed Shifting issue, Grind Kickstand
Cut Windshield
Cleaned and repaired Fuel Sender
Repaired Clock
New Fuel Hoses
Recovered Seat
Fixed Right Mirror
Replaced Left Mirror
New Battery
Repaired Alternator/ Replaced regulator
Replaced Spark Plugs

I will get the valves checked this weekend which is basically the last mechanical issue. Put this off due to potential cost for tool and shims.
Including the registration I am in for $346 and the valves have a potential $200 cost though I am crossing my fingers.

Super fun bike to ride! I have a 09' BMW GSA 1200 and classic 74' R90/6 and I need to let one go soon for space/wife considerations.
Not sure which one is going to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
A gift from a coworker who's wife wanted her gone. Sitting/rusting for 10 years, 24k miles.
I have been working on her for a couple months and finally got the title today! I have her running well and put her in my name today (finally!)

Changed Engine Oil
Bleed / cleaned clutch
Cleaned Carburetors
Synchronized Carburetors
Changed Airbox filter
Cut Windshield
Repaired Clock
New Fuel Hoses
Recovered Seat
Fixed Right Mirror
Replaced Left Mirror
New Battery
Replaced Spark Plugs

I will get the valves checked this weekend which is basically the last mechanical issue. Put this off due to potential cost for tool and shims.
Including the registration I am in for $346 and the valves have a potential $200 cost though I am crossing my fingers.

Super fun bike to ride! I have a 09' BMW GSA 1200 and classic 74' R90/6 and I need to let one go soon for space/wife considerations.
That's a lot of work, but it will definitely pay off. I did the valves myself with a buddy on my 99 Trophy. It isn't too hard. I'd suggest doing it yourself if it you the time to save some cash.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey janich4644,
Do you know if I can check/ reshim the valves with just the right fairing off? I took the right side off once. it was a bear to get back on. Any advice on the job?
I am guessing that I can check the clearances but not sure if something is out of spec how much further I will have to go with disassembly to replace the shims.
Also guessing that if anything is off that it will be tight rather than loose and considering sanding or grinding the shims down if needed, mostly due to time considerations. I am not sure if my local shop would have the correct shims in stock.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You'll have to probably take both side fairings off since the tank will need to be removed. Once you get the cover off the the top of the engine and the camshaft cover off of the right side of the bike that should be all you have to take off to check the shim clearances.

Do you have a Haynes manual or other shop manual for the bike? It'll be able to guide you through how to check the clearances for each valve.

I would never recommend grinding down shims. You'll probably never get them even and precise enough to work correctly. If you live near a Triumph dealership, they should have all of the shims you need. A Japanese bike dealership may not have the shims. They're a bit of an odd diameter. Almost the size of a quarter. I also recommend taking note of all of the shim sizes you have because you can always swap shims around to save some money when replacing them.

I guess it would never hurt to ask your local dealership for a quote to do it for you, but it's a good learning experience and much cheaper to do it yourself.

PM me if you have more questions.

·
Registered
257 Posts

Changed Engine Oil
Bleed / cleaned clutch
Cleaned Carburetors
Synchronized Carburetors
Changed Airbox filter
Cut Windshield
Repaired Clock
New Fuel Hoses
Recovered Seat
Fixed Right Mirror
Replaced Left Mirror
New Battery
Replaced Spark Plugs

I hope you add tires to that list..after 10 years I think they’d be suspect. Great bike!

·
Registered
257 Posts
My 1999 Trophy 900. It has 42k on it right now. I have the side cases, bag liners, factory cover. It was originally blue but some time in it's life it got painted green. The one bag decided to jump ship at 20 mph so it doesn't match as well.
looks just like my ‘97, which had the same amount of miles on it when I got it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 1999 Trophy 900. It has 42k on it right now. I have the side cases, bag liners, factory cover. It was originally blue but some time in it's life it got painted green. The one bag decided to jump ship at 20 mph so it doesn't match as well.
Had that happen on a 99 Trophy 1200 that was custom painted with the Union Jack flag streaming off the headlight bezel and down the sides including the side cases. I had been out for a fast backroad run of about 30 miles and was pushing through the sweepers at 90-100. Parked it in the garage at my business office and walked past it several times think something was off, before I realized the right hand side case was gone. I drove that stretch of road weekly for a month going slow and looking out into the pastures on both sides, figuring it came loose at that speed it could have skipped like a flat rock on water and sailed 50 yards of more off the road. Never found it. Finally found a set of green ones on craigslist down in Georgia and bought them and had my local body guy repaint them to solid silver.

Reactions: NurseBill

·
Registered
123 Posts
Here's my 1991 Trophy today, touring in Kent, South of England, unseasonable lovely September. Currently wearing a later tank with fuel sender, with clock and fuel guage to suit.

·
Registered
123 Posts
87,750 miles beneath her wheels, 50,000 ridden by me. Get on your bikes and ride, as Queen done sung it.
IMG_20200919_173725.jpg

221 - 238 of 238 Posts