Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey - Maybe we can have some fun with this--

I'm waiting for the snow to go away before picking up my new Street... Show me something about the bike -quirky, fun, different- something the brochures don't tell you, things you find out or really like but only realize after spending some time with the bike...

:beerchug:

·
Registered
904 Posts
The British folks have a different keyswitch than we normally see here in the USA. They have a "Park" position, that locks the forks BUT also leaves the lights on. I accidently ran my battery down twice until I realized that I had to quit turning the ignition all the way over (counterclockwise).
My other gripe is why did they position the seat lock so far under the seat? It's a little cumbersome to reach. But these are minor gripes - the bike is a beast! :)

Neanderthal

·
Registered
582 Posts
That's funny. I did the same thing when I got my bike. Locked the bars (all the way to the left) and went into work. Came out 8 hours later than the damn thing wouldn't start. Learn that lesson really quick.

The seat lock is also in a funny place and I often find the seat a rather pain to get back on. The best method for me is to get the seat pretty much locked and then give it a nice fist to lock it home and simply pushing it won't work on my bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the intake note sounds awsome after 8k but you wont know that for awhile cause breakin sucks :).

your headlights will be nice and bright at night compared to some other bikes.

you have 7 blue LED's on the right of the guage cluster that you can set to different settings and RPM's to act as shift lights. you can have 3 light up or 7 light up or scale them to a point so they progressivly light up as you get close to the shift point.

it has a clock!:p

·
Registered
42 Posts
OK guys - 'coz you all seem to be men on most of these threads - I'll risk the provocative comment here .... why don't ANY of you read the book???!!!:p It's clear to anyone that does so : there are 2 locking positions, one with lights (and dead battery) and one without. Even in the Dutch translation it was perfectly obvious that going to P with lights makes you run a risk, especially 8 hours or more later! So, hohum, maybe it's a woman thing, but I was glad I did read the book on the first run home from the garage!

Up to 6000 rpms now, wish the b----y weather would improve though, I'd like to get to the 1000km service ASAP, and start planning fun things to do, instead of just going to and from work:D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Is there a little 'trunk' or storage space under the seat?
About the size of a card holder, from what I recall from the brief glimpse I had at the garage - I haven't even bothered re-opening the seat to look at it, I was so convinced it was useless! I keep my front-wheel lock in my jacket pocket whilst riding, so not much need for under seat storgae here!

·
Registered
904 Posts
OK guys - 'coz you all seem to be men on most of these threads - I'll risk the provocative comment here .... why don't ANY of you read the book???!!!:p It's clear to anyone that does so : there are 2 locking positions, one with lights (and dead battery) and one without. Even in the Dutch translation it was perfectly obvious that going to P with lights makes you run a risk, especially 8 hours or more later! So, hohum, maybe it's a woman thing, but I was glad I did read the book on the first run home from the garage!

Up to 6000 rpms now, wish the b----y weather would improve though, I'd like to get to the 1000km service ASAP, and start planning fun things to do, instead of just going to and from work:D
For me it is not "natural" to lock the forks and not be turning the key all the way, just a habit from every other bike I've been on. :)

Neanderthal

·
Registered
57 Posts
I find the seat a piece of cake to take on and off, but then, i'm only 5'6". There is a little trunk under the seat, but it doesn't hold more than a small tool kit, pair of sunglasses, insurance papers, OR maybe a granola bar for emergencies.

I also managed to fit a small helmet lock on the the frame on the left side, just under the seat incase I am in a place where my helmet might look too tempting for some passer-by.

And yes, there is a most sweet sound at about 7000 rpm that I didn't notice until after break in ;). It's well worth the wait!

·
Super Moderator
4,765 Posts
About the size of a card holder, from what I recall from the brief glimpse I had at the garage - I haven't even bothered re-opening the seat to look at it, I was so convinced it was useless! I keep my front-wheel lock in my jacket pocket whilst riding, so not much need for under seat storgae here!
It's big enough that I have a 12volt air compressor in there and i've stashed a tire plug kit elsewhere under the seat.

For me it is not "natural" to lock the forks and not be turning the key all the way, just a habit from every other bike I've been on. :)

Neanderthal
BMW, Triumph, Ducati and most European bikes have the parking light as the last stop.

·
Registered
904 Posts
It's big enough that I have a 12volt air compressor in there and i've stashed a tire plug kit elsewhere under the seat.

BMW, Triumph, Ducati and most European bikes have the parking light as the last stop.
OK - I gotta ask. Why the hell do they have a parking light? :confused:

Neanderthal

·
Registered
582 Posts
OK guys - 'coz you all seem to be men on most of these threads - I'll risk the provocative comment here .... why don't ANY of you read the book???!!!:p

I read the book. But that's about as much as me saying I listen when the wife is b****ing at me...:rolleyes::p

·
Registered
30 Posts
Something else to look forward to

"warp speed" !!!!

I've just finished running in and all I can say when I keep it pinned through first, second and a bit of third ( want to keep my license ! ) is holy moly.

I've had all sorts of bikes over the years but never one which turned the scenery around you into a greeny browny tunnel similar to a sci-fi warp drive effect on terra firma :D

And as already mentioned, the induction growl from 7-8000 rpm will put a grin on your face.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts