Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A long time ago I did the wiring upgrade on my 04 Sprint. It seemed to help but I was never quite satisfied with my idle speed charging. I also installed one of those led voltmeters at the time I did the wiring upgrade.

http://www.signaldynamics.com/products/Modules/HUVM.asp

Then along came the Regulator/Rectifier upgrade. I followed that thread with interest and finally scored a regulator for $49.95 delivered from eBay. It is off an 08 CBR900RR.

I don't remember what my charge voltage was before. I should have tested it again before I started tearing down. However I can say for certain that whenever I was stopped at a light, the bike lights would dim a bit. The led indicator would also turn red. I know that I did not have the led wired in the best way. I tapped into the running light(just above the headlights) to monitor the voltage. I know it was not the best way... Don't hammer me for that.

While I installed the new regulator I redid the voltmeter. This time, I did it properly. It is reading directly off the battery with a relay to shut it off when the key is turned off. When I fired old blue back up, the led immediately turned green (it used to show yellow for a half second before showing green). I let the idle settle and grabbed the voltmeter. At idle the battery connections now have 14.1 volts. At 3k rpm.... 14.4 volts.

YEA!!! I now have a "proper" charging system. THANK YOU DECOSSE, OND and CLB!!!

I no longer have a voltage drop at idle that causes the lights to dim. This is an upgrade that compares to the 18tooth sprocket. Should have done it sooner...

I love my Sprint...

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Good post triumph_955_st. Credit where credit is due. The wealth of tech knowledge on this forum is a phenomenal asset to us all.

I had a mate with an 03 RS (even the same colour as mine) and directed him to DEcosse thread and he has done the upgrade after having a few issues with the Triumph one!

Great place here. :D

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Good post triumph_955_st. Credit where credit is due. The wealth of tech knowledge on this forum is a phenomenal asset to us all.

I had a mate with an 03 RS (even the same colour as mine) and directed him to DEcosse thread and he has done the upgrade after having a few issues with the Triumph one!

Great place here. :D
Oh arrr it be great indeed Mr Chef great indeed it be aye.:jimlad:

Was 'is Orress fixed then waaz it?

DaveM:cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts