Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking thru Craigslist I came up with a 1965 Bonneville for sale. Excitedly, I clicked the link and saw the following picture. I nearly choked on my dinner!
The only thing I can think of is the owner did this many years ago when he may have thought there was an endless supply of these machines. Apart from that I can't think of why anyone would do this to a 1965 Bonnie!

There are some nice choppers out there, and some do appeal to me, however this looks like something out of a circus (complete with air horn on the handlebar) :confused:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I guess one man's meat is another man's poison.

For some reason when I look at that picture I hear a David Lee Roth shriek in my head..

"AHHHHHHH YYYEEEEAAAAHHH!!"

:knockknock:

·
Super Moderator
13,272 Posts
How is it that can only sell for $4,000, and Rick Fairless' bikes sell for 5x that much?

The engine might be worth $2,500 if in fantastic shape, and I'm not so sure the head is raked. If it's a bolt-up hardtail, it's not a total loss.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Blame the OCC boys. The sooner that show goes off the air the better.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The engine might be worth $2,500 if in fantastic shape, and I'm not so sure the head is raked. If it's a bolt-up hardtail, it's not a total loss.
Agreed. Additionally, with a little time and black powder coat or paint, the front end has decent value ... the old school stacked twin rectangle headlights ... the bolt on hardtail section ... the king / queen seat ... the oil tank (again ... painted black) ... etc

One could recoup a portion of the purchase price to start the financing on building a decent bike out of it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
hey guys ,,,,way back in the 1970s most of my mates here in sydney , was doing this style of chopper as for the colour its not what i like, ..... back then it was all the go to be that bit differant,, so no crime there,,,,,albert the tiprat

·
Registered
240 Posts
it looks like 2 hippies having sex while listening to strawberry alarm clock. i can almost smell it.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Agreed. Additionally, with a little time and black powder coat or paint, the front end has decent value ... the old school stacked twin rectangle headlights ... the bolt on hardtail section ... the king / queen seat ... the oil tank (again ... painted black) ... etc

One could recoup a portion of the purchase price to start the financing on building a decent bike out of it.
True indeed. But could you really buy it and have that thought wondering in your mind of what it was like?

Those colours, that horn, that gear stick thingy, the garden gate seat back. Probably be like buying a house and finding out there had been a murder there in the past.....a gruesome murder.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I don't think its a crime. Its hilarious... sort of. Born to be wild... that's what it is. I kinda like it, to look at anyway... except... can anyone find the brakes?.
Oh it could have smoother lines and a different color scheme.. that would be better, but its no worse than the wooden chopper or any of the modern choppers in my opinion. Heck a lot of modern choppers look like insects, some kinda 'smart bug' from Starship Troopers!

In my opinion:
Quintessentially there have only been profoundly few modifications that have ever been made to a naked Bonneville that have improved its appearance or its classiness or its content of 'cool'.

But I enjoy looking at some of them.

·
Registered
355 Posts
if its a crime he could plead insanity....just imagine someone actually put the time and money into this thinking they were improving it....idiot area...theres a norton like this for sale on ebay in australia....claims its a 1957 norton and has engine no starting with G15 and wont wear that he just might be wrong

1 - 20 of 32 Posts