Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First winter with my TBird and wondering whether I "need" to winterize?

I had her filled to the top, with fuel and stabilizer, wheels on wood.

Got up to 50 farenheight today, and my cage is in the shop, so went for a ride. Wasn't too cold, so I'm thinking that I might be able to ride now and then through the winter (December/January/February).

I might be able to ride or at least run her about once a week on average.

Is it OK to just fill her back up with the gas and stabilizer and run her now and then?

TIA

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
On 2006-11-19 15:29, highcard wrote:

I might be able to ride or at least run her about once a week on average.

Is it OK to just fill her back up with the gas and stabilizer and run her now and then?

TIA
That's what I do. I usually ride at least a couple of times a month during the winter months. I just keep the tank full and I add Stabilizer to the fuel during the winter months. I use a battery tender also to keep the battery fully charged up. I find that makse the bike much easier to start when it's cold out. Clear sunny days and mid 30's is really not so bad riding weather if you have decent gear, and stop for a rest a little more often. I prefer that to 90 degree weather for sure.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your weather is probably pretty similar to ours...you just get it after us.

BTW, I'll be going to a golf outing with "the boys" next summer in French Lick. Any good roads around there, or should I leave my bike at home?

TIA

·
Registered
353 Posts
You're not a world away from me (NW Arkansas). We can ride through our winters. You're on the right track. Stabil if needed, battery tender, warm riding gear. Should do it.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad that I didn't do the full winterize...got in about 250 miles today...60 degrees fairenheight and sunny...twisties galore while the bird was roasting and then beer ,bird, wine and family to relax.

Life was really good today!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I live in NC, and the only thing I do different besides a full tank and the tender is I'll cut the petcock off and run the remaining gas out of the carbs if I know I wont be riding for a few weeks. I don't use stabilizer so I don't know if that negates doing this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts