Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, I currently have a Thruxton and have found a guy that is interested in trading for his scrambler. I'll start off with admitting I am foolish for even considering this now, because I haven't even ridden the Thruxton for 10 miles yet. Here's the background: I started looking for either a Thruxton or a Scrambler. I like them both just about equally. About two months ago I found a very nice 2004 Thruxton that was priced right for the mods and was substantially less than any scramblers I could find at the time, so the decision was made. Of course the weather has prevented any real riding to see how I like the bike for longer rides. On another site I found a guy that has a similarly modded Scrambler for a price that I think is reasonable beyond my Thruxton's value that I am now thinking of trading.

I really (I mean really) can't decide and would like some input from the community here. I lust after the looks of the Thruxton, but I am afraid that long 3+ hour rides will be miserable to the point of not being feasible. My riding buddies all ride Harley's or metric cruisers, so when I ride with them the pace will be only mildly spirited and more about enjoying the ride. I would like to enjoy scenic ride with the wife or a couple day trip solo. I honestly don't have an extreme desire to drag knees with the Thruxton, but will ride it harder than the cruiser gang. So, the Scrambler seems perfect, right? But, I just can't get over the cafe look. And I know that I can mod either bike to look like the other... looks wise the clip-ons are key for the Thrux and the high pipes are key for the Scrambler and all of these things cost $$$. I am looking at about a $500 + my Thrux for the Scrambler, which is way cheaper that buying the pipes for the Thrux. I also can't imagine that the rear-sets would be comfortable with a riser bar.

Your thoughts please. Thanks!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Imo if you live in the country, the scam would be fun to have.
But if you live in th suburbs.. Thruxton is the way to go.
I like both bikes pretty equal too.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Sounds like what you would use the bike for most - cruising with buddies, riding with your squeeze, suggests a Scrambler. The cut of a Thruxton is more for spirited riding, either alone or with other rapid riders. Besides, it is easier to get a Scrambler Thruxton-like than the other way around.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Besides, it is easier to get a Scrambler Thruxton-like than the other way around.
My thoughts exactly, but I can't stop thinking about how much "better" the Thruxton bits are. Just seems like a more nicely equipped bike (alloy wheels, more chrome, etc), yet they are essentially the same price new. In the used market it has been easier to find good deals on Thruxtons than Scramblers, which is why I am intrigued about the one I found.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think I can answer your questions some what decent.

I own an 07 Thruxton, 5500 miles on it with plenty of three plus hour trips. No worries, with any bike, its about adjusting, the fuel range makes it so you stop every 100 miles or so anyway. The thing that both the Scrambler and the Thruxton have over cruisers is the ability to adjust in the seat while riding. You can hang a cheek, sit up, sit back, whatever you want.

I borrowed my brothers scrambler last summer for about ten days. I will honestly say, its a completely different beast. The 270 engine as opposed to the 360 is noticable. I just bought a Scramlber also. I love the Thruxton, its sex on wheels, hands down the best looking motorcycle on the market today. The Scrambler is more for me and the lady for day trips and over nighters and to calm my modiying bug.

Its a really tough call if you cant have both. Honestly, with what you described wanting, the Scrambler might fit you better, that kills me to say though as I love the Thruxton so much!!!!

Ultimately its just going to boil down to you getting or keeping what you want. Mods should not be that makes up your mind. Mods can be done over time, its the ride of the bike that should determine it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would ride that Thruxton for more then 10 miles before you decide. If I got another bike it would be a Thrux.There are a lot of people who try to turn there bike to a cafe style bike, but the Thruxton is a true classic, so give it a chance.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for that Unbeliever. I was hoping to find someone who had both. And yes, the age old dilemma: form over function or vice versa.

I do have a few specific question, if you would. Not that it is the final determiner, but is the thrux really that much faster than the Scram? I know with my other toy, a 911 is faster in a drag race than a 944 but on a track they are even. I am more interested in general riding, not trying to squeeze every last second of the lap time. I heard one other poster comment that two up on the Thruxton felt scary. Can you confirm this? What about for the Scrambler? I don't know how to really phrase this, but is the Scrambler really that much more comfortable? One assumes, but like I said, I haven't really gotten to ride the thrux much and I may have to make the decision without really spending a lot of quality time on the Thruxton.

Thanks,
ben

Edit: I should add, I went into the motorcycle thing at a time in my life (pre-kids) so I could get it out of my system. I can't predict the future, but I can't be sure that if I gave either bike a year and changed my mind that I would go get the other. Might just be the end of it. I have plenty of hobbies and now was the time to try this one.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would ride that Thruxton for more then 10 miles before you decide.
Yeah, I know. It is currently in the teens here, so not for a few days. If it wasn't for work I would have hard time to register it earlier, but without work no money. Life.

Hey if you have a 911, you can have both the Thrux & Scram
I wish. The 911 is 27 years old and worth about one used scrambler + one used Thruxton. It will likely never be sold, at least not to get two motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
Neither will be completely wrong, and the choice isn't life or death so the stakes aren't that high.

The questions are:

• Where are you going to ride?
  • How long are your typical rides going to be?
  • How aggressively will you ride?
  • Do you prefer the cafe racer position, or the sit-up and beg position?
  • Are looks important to you? Which looks sexier to you?
  • Which fits your personality?
  • Which one makes you smile when you look at it?
  • Which one makes you horny for a ride?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Choices choices

Neither are wrong really.
Both are fine, though the scram is really easy going lazy to ride kind of bike, but i still feel held up by my cruiser friends.

Get the one you will feel the best on, the reason i didnt get a thruxton was i want to get a Triton eventually and thought the scram could be more of an adventure bike for some tours.

mmm probably didnt help much....

Cheers
Clive

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Scramber Claimed by Triumph at the crank
Power: 56bhp @ 7000rpm
Torque: 51ft.ft/lb @ 4,500rpm

Thruxton (Carb) Claimed by Triumph at the crank
Power: 69bhp @ 7250rpm
Torque: 53ft/lbs @ 5750rpm

The figures speak for themselves.

For me, the upright riding position (of the Scrambler) puts too much weight on the base of my spine, meaning that an hour in the saddle is enough for me. The Thruxton riding position takes the weight off my spine and is more comfortable. However, the cafe riding position does put the weight on your wrists, which in traffic could be an issue. For me, the Thruxton is the more comfortable option.

You need to ride the Thruxton to see how you get on with it. The clip-on bars can be replaced with the later (EFI) bars for a more relaxed riding position, if needed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
should i trade my thruxton for a scrambler

On the matter is the scrambler more comfy than the thruxton, well for riding distance at the speed limits then i have to say yes.
Once you get over 70mph you start to catch a lot of wind and thats where the thruxton comes into it's own. But how much time do you spend riding over the speed limit anyway and what do you actually see at the higher end of the scale. I Have a very bad back but on my scrambler i ride for 3-400 mile round trips very often with no real probs.
I must say i like the thruxton alot but honestly think 50 mile is enough on it. Well for me anyway, hope this helps in some way.
Steve.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for that Unbeliever. I was hoping to find someone who had both. And yes, the age old dilemma: form over function or vice versa.

I do have a few specific question, if you would. Not that it is the final determiner, but is the thrux really that much faster than the Scram? I know with my other toy, a 911 is faster in a drag race than a 944 but on a track they are even. I am more interested in general riding, not trying to squeeze every last second of the lap time. I heard one other poster comment that two up on the Thruxton felt scary. Can you confirm this? What about for the Scrambler? I don't know how to really phrase this, but is the Scrambler really that much more comfortable? One assumes, but like I said, I haven't really gotten to ride the thrux much and I may have to make the decision without really spending a lot of quality time on the Thruxton.

Thanks,
ben

Edit: I should add, I went into the motorcycle thing at a time in my life (pre-kids) so I could get it out of my system. I can't predict the future, but I can't be sure that if I gave either bike a year and changed my mind that I would go get the other. Might just be the end of it. I have plenty of hobbies and now was the time to try this one.
I will say without a doubt you notice the difference between the two. On the Scram I did miss the top end like I had on the Thruxton. Bottom end the scram pulled harder.

As for riding two up on the Thruxton, easy as any other bike. Not scary at all. My girl and I have done 100 mile plus days on it often, no problems.

Lots of people talking about the riding position on the Thruxton. Im sure you sat on yours enough to realise you lean forward. It is not even close to sport bike aggresive in its riding posture. You can scoot forward, backward, side to side to save some discomfort on distance. The main thing on the Thruxton is dont white knuckle the bars, just hang your hands on them. Your support comes from gripping the tank with your knees and using your core. Its not exhaustive or difficult.

My problem is I was born far to late in life. My ideals in motorcycling are from the 60's. I love cafe's, desert racers and the likes. That is what draws me to the Scrambler and the Thruxton.

If your worried about the Thruxton, You can change the seat to a breadloaf and put on the risers and bars. You keep the power and you have a more upright position with slight rear sets wich believe me is pretty comfortable.

Someone mentioned the upright of the scrambler being hard on their back, this is true if you cant scootch around, the rear sets with an upright bar position helps this alot.

I honestly say it would boil down to the look your going after. If you love the cafe look, do the cafe thing. If you like the desert racer look, do the desert racer thing. Its really about what YOU want and not what people will try and tell you YOU want.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I had a Scrambler and traded it on a Thruxton.

The scrambler is a great, cool bike but for me, where I live there is no legal plce to ride off road. I found a few fire type roads which took about 5 minutes to ride. After doing them week after week, I wanted something geared all for the street.

I came across my thruxton which had tors, flyscreen and i had the dealer put on heli-bars to make for a more comfortable ride. Havent been happier. Thruxton is a bit faster and as others have said, looks great.

If you have some dirt roads where the scrambler can be used as it was somewhat intended, you'll have a blast. If you have NO dirt roads and can make a few mods to the thrux to make it more comfortble on longer rides, that might be better option.

Either way you cant go wrong, there both great bikes. As its 10* here now, none of us can ride for a bit.

Happy riding....

Dave-

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the insight guys. I know this is a decision I must make myself, but I do appreciate the different perspectives. I left out this piece of information as to not muddy the waters, but this is my first street motorcycle. I have ridden enduro and mx style bikes since I was old enough to touch the ground, but this is the first time having to decide between two riding positions and function. I would like to do some light touring, but I am really getting the impression that the thruxton bars aren't THAT bad and the rearsets are actually a plus regardless of handlbars. This really is turning the favor towards the Thruxton. However, the charm of the thruxton is the clip-on cafe racer style. A friend of mine stated changing bars would ruin the looks. I kinda agree, at least with my Thruxton (see pic). Remove the clipons and it is a bonnie with upswept pipes.

Dave1068 brings up a good point. I am sure in rural Alabama there are dirt roads/trails to ride, but I don't know them and that isn't really the plan. It is more the image of for both anyway, but a good point to consider.

I will definately put in a couple of good rides before I let the thruxton go.

http://www.triumphrat.net/attachments/riding-jackets-pants/10008d1226248398-newbie-needs-jacket-advice-can-one-do-it-all-p6290057.jpg

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Remove the clipons and it is a bonnie with upswept pipes.
And just what may I ask would be so wrong with that? Have you looked at a Bonnie w/ up swept pipes, or a Thruxton w/o clip ons? I've seen quite a few of both (including my Bonnie), and they all look great IMO. Personally, I think you'd be crazy to trade your Thrux.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And just what may I ask would be so wrong with that? Have you looked at a Bonnie w/ up swept pipes, or a Thruxton w/o clip ons?
Nothing wrong with either one pre se. The Bonnie is my least favorite of the retro-mod Triumphs, a personal preference. My preference is that since my bike is missing the seat cowl and has a Bonnie paint scheme on the tank (which I like more than the std Thruxton scheme), take away the clip-ons and it looses its cafe racer appeal and becomes a Bonnie. Nothing wrong with that, just not what I want in a Thruxton. My point is that there really is one key element of each style bike that I want to preserve for my tastes: clip-ons (drag bars would be OK I guess) for the Thruxton, and the high pipes on the Scrambler. All other elements are secondary. Take a look at a Bonnie with clip-ons and no other mods, it looks very cafe. Take the high pipes off the scrambler and you have a Bonnie with knobby tires.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One question that I am curious about. I see when people convert to superbike bars on the Thruxton they buy one of the converison kits that comes with a new top clamp. When I was at the local shop I found bar clamps for about $40, add a used bar from ebay for ~$50 and you have the conversion for a third of the aftermarket kits. Of course you have to drill the top clamp, is there anything preventing somone from doing this? I have a drill press at home and access to a milling machine if needed. Is it the time is money issue, or something I am missing?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts