Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During my last ride, my clutch suddenly began to slip rather severely. No weird noises or anything, and when I pulled the primary everything looked fine. Turns out that two of the three screws that hold the inside plate of the clutch hub came loose, allowing the hub to slide out a bit and causing the first steel plate to actually slide behind the hub. The threads are no good anymore. So instead of fixing the threads, is it worth it to buy a later model hub that used through bolts instead of 6 small screws? such as this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/57-4435-Triumph-T140-Clutch-Shock-Absorber-Unit-Hub-650-750-/230696202488?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b690b0f8&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
That should work fine. If it's only the screws threads that are trashed. You can buy
new one's. Use Loctite blue when putting them in. That will be enough to keep them in.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I put it together a few years ago, I used red loctite, but it's the threads in the hub that are bad unfortunately.

The two screws were in the bottom of the clutch basket, and the third was loose. Luckily, they didn't do any damage.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
A 6-screw cush drive would be getting old by now.The journals and plates are probably worn and running out off-centre.
The through-bolted 3-bolt cush drive is more reliable,and a worthwhile up-grade.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the rubbers during the last rebuild (20,000 miles ago) and I didn't have any problems with the screws. It's the original hub, which has around 70,000 miles, and I did notice that it didn't run quite true. I think it's just worth it to replace.

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts