Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Yes.
See if you can knock them down just a little on the price and put the money into goodies.
Corbin seat, Trident or Remus canister, Givi top box and mount.

More power, roomier, better bags, more comfort, better brakes, plush handling, good lights and did I mention more power?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about old gas?

How do you determine if old gummy gas was run through a low-mileage engine? 8-year-old bike with only 3,400 miles means it's been stored for a long time. Story from the seller is that it is on consignment from a seller that is retiring and selling 3 of his 5 bikes.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
A quick ride would show up rough running from old fuel deposits.

I bought my GT in the Spring of 2018 and it spent most of its life sitting.
I just did all of the fluids, greased the rear hub and shock linkage (it didn't need either part greased as somebody beat me to it) and then onto the fun stuff.

A great bike, it really is THE touring model of the Sprint line up.
Your 955 ST will feel like a 7/8 scale version of it if that helps any.

Michelin Pilot 5s work great on this bike, by the way.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you're looking for confirmation, I vote yes!

You've certainly gotten a lot of life out of your '03. If I were in your shoes, I'd want to upgrade before dumping much more money into a bike with 91k miles.

Depending on how risk-averse you are this might interest you:
https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/mcd/d/portland-2011-triumph-sprint-1050-gt/6918230456.html

Looks like it was stolen, recovered, and then sold at auction. These guys replaced the ignition and gas cap and are looking to make a little money off it.
(I'm sure it's a salvage title, but you seem to be the kind of guy who rides your bikes till they die.)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I saw that one. But panniers are a must for me. I ride year-round (hence the 91K!). Plus, it's my understanding that a helmet doesn't fit into the new-style ST's bags and I sorta don't want to lose that. So I'm torn between getting an ST and GT but a practically new GT is a hard thing to pass up.

·
Registered
273 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2899313233444644

I currently have an '03 ST with 91K miles. Nothing wrong with her except gas mileage is down to 40mph and it needs fork seals and I can't imagine the wheel bearings lasting much longer.
You would be hard pressed to find anything close to that for the asking price. You would want to change all the fluids. If it starts and runs right, I would just run a couple tanks of gas with Stabil Marine through.

If I were even thinking about a newer bike and I lived near that one, I would be sorely tempted, might not even try to make lower offer if it started easily and ran smoothly. I did not recognize the tires. If they were Bridgestones, budget for something good - Pirelli Angels and the various Michelin PRs are usually recommended here. The OEM Bridgestones my Sprint GT came with were by far the worst tires I experienced on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny thing...I have a brand new set of Angel GT II's sitting in my garage for my Sprint as it'll need new tires in <500 miles. This bike is 180 miles away...I'm in the process of remotely making them an offer. I just can't pass this up.

·
3,078 Posts
I'd try and get it for 4500, up to 5000. Really sweet bike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
3,078 Posts
My new baby is home, next to my current one! :grin2:
Congrats! Two of the fastest color

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts