Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is my first Tiger and I want something that in New Zealand I can do both commuting and adventure riding. I am in the perfect country so no excuses. I have been considering another R1150GS which for a 2001 model is approx the same price I have been offered an 06 Tiger (Brand New Still in the box) NZ$15k.

I am 6ft 3" so the height is great for someone my size, I am also aware of how top heavy these beasts are so if I drop it, it will not be baucause I didn't know.

In the UK I owned a 2001 R1150GS which we used to tour most of England and Scotland and it was great. A few complaints like weight and handling but other than that it was an awesome bike.

I am not wanting to tour (Well I do want to but wife wont let me) the world like Ewen and Charlie so I dont think I need an GS Adventure or a KTM (Who I will not touch for their negativity during that Long Way Round Event.

I want something that will protect me and provide me good value and awesome entertainment.

So tell me whould I go with the 06 Tiger, splash out the extra for an 07 or consider another GS???

Now the serious part - I am looking to buy within 12 hours so I hope someone reads this and helps me with my dilema. The truth be known if I dont get a response I will buy the 06 runout model, so I suppose I have made my decision and looking for someone to talk me out of it. I dont think this will happen as I cannot find a negative review of the bike anywhere.

All help appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
540 Posts
looks like you will get the 06. It's a great all-round bike,and with accessories you can make it do everything you want.Accessories are cheaper than BMW,it has more included in the standard price and it has a great motor.We toured the Spanish Pyrenees last year and the bike was perfect.Next year we are touring France and the French Pyrenees. In between I do 300 mile days in Wales with friends on sportsbikes and the Tiger is as quick as I need. I am considering the 1050 Tiger for the future but I'm in no hurry. If you have not ridden a Triumph before then you will soon discover that the triple engine is a great one. Good luck.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Adventure Riding ? Depends what you had in mind, broken surfaces or gravel skiiing ?

Would that rule out the 07 immediately or would you just stick a pair of tourances on it and take it easy ? I know a guy who green lanes on his Pan so you can od most anything on any bike really.

For the money, buy the 06 Tiger and forget the GS. The GS is a lovely bike but the triple is a joy worth owning, and you have the pleasure of riding a British bike in the far flung fields of the empire.

Paint the map pink again and saddle up your Triumph, God is in his House :cool:

·
Registered
783 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Nigele.
I'm new here myself. Are you a member of kiwibiker? If not it is a must site for any Kiwi. www.kiwibiker.co.nz I'm on there (zadok). Big Dave is the man to talk to regarding anything Triumph. I think he lives in Auckland. www.davidcohen.co.nz He has an article he wrote on the Tiger.
The run out models come with panniers which I consider a good bonus.
I'll be in Paeroa for the races in February. Might catch you there. :-D

·
Registered
518 Posts
Two different bikes, you need to read the reviews and based on what the description of what each bike will do and how they peform should lead you to purchase the right bike for you. If you will be on paved roads most of the time, the obvious choice is the '07.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, for your responses, I think my mnd is made up. My first ever bike was a brand new 1998 Triumph Sprint ST Executive in British Racing green and it was awesome. so I do like the triple engine as they perform well.

The thought of having another British bike in NZ is an exciting thought, feeling a little patriotic and supporting one of the most exciting motorcycle manufacturers available at the moment.

The package is awesome with the luggage, heated grips and centre stand as standard so really it is a no brainer. And for the money I cannot see anything similar. A 2005 BMW R1200GS is selling for $25k so for $15K I would be stupid to ignore.

Anyway thanks guys I am sure this article will prove highly beneficial to other like minded individuals torn between the two spectacular bikes.

Thanks again and Happy New Year to you all. I love this site and I am sure I will chat to you again.

Al the best :razz:

·
Registered
679 Posts
SO what did you decide??????

I would have gone for the '06. After sitting on my first '07 which I was seriously considering...I am sticking with my '01 for a while. I am not a fan of the BMW engine, although people tell me the 1200 is great.

Fred

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I amsorry, but I backed out at the last minute from the Tiger, as I dont think it will meet all my needs. I really want to do some adventure riding and I cannot find any reviews that disagree with that comment.

I am now back at the BMW 1150 & 1200GS and thinking what to do. The Triumph I think is an awesome machine and will certainly look after me long term. But shaft drive and reputation of the BMW is driving me to go with the safe bet.

This has to be one of the most difficult decisions I have made. I can buy a 2001 GS with 14,000k's on the clock for $14K Thats fully loaded, luggage, heated grips and ABS. or $2k more and get a brand new Tiger.

Bugger, I am confused.

·
Registered
679 Posts
On 2006-12-28 19:38, pineygroveshop wrote:
No response!
I completely agree. The 'safe bet' post does not compute. If you like the BMW better, great. But there is no chance it will be cheaper to run and highly unlikely it will be more reliable than the Tiger (at least the old one, the new ones are an unknown quantity at this stage).

Fred

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What I am saying is I cannot find any information/reviews claiming the Tiger is an all round on/off road bike.

This is why I am back considering the BMW as

A: I have had one before and used to tour the UK on & off road.

B: Every review tells me the bike is made for this dual purpose riding.

Hence why I commented on the safe bet as I can verify what the bike is used for.

Now please don't get me wrong, I love the Tiger - I love triumphs and I hope that the 06 Tiger is still the right option. I have hung off from buying anything and I will look to buy on the 3rd January as this will give me more time to consider.

So if any of you have used your Tiger for on/off road trails then please let me know as this will help cement my decision. (or links to reviews)

Thanks again all.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Have a look on the official Triumph website. Herve (Triumph France) organises annual trips to Morrocco and for 2006 it was a Tiger only event for offroading in the desert.Riders had to attend a separate 3 day offroad experience in France as preparation. I would have thought this amply demonstrates that the Tiger is capable of offroading. Personally a 2001 BMW with the old engine would be inferior to an 06 Tiger.Plus you get a 2 year warranty and much cheaper running costs.BMW have certainly got the market cornered for media hype.For me the offroad capability will be more dependant on the ability of the rider than the differences in machines. Just like it is on a trackday with sportsbikes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think Tiger is pretty good adventure bike. It depends more on a rider where he is willing to take it.

Good luck! :chug:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
You know of all the postings the best bit is on the first one, KTM wouldn't touch one because of the negativity on the Long Way round,i bet i've read that bit ten times and still don't beleave what i'm reading,what because they wouldn't give e'm free bikes your not going think about buying one,please tell me YOU ARE JOKEING!!!!

'IF' you can ride offroad, most people think going down a forest track is offroad!!!! it ain't go buy a KTM cuz their light years better,their a competion bike adapted for the road,neither the BM or the Tiger could hold a candle to it.

If on the other hand your a pretend offroader and your honest with yourself,then either of the other two will do,but just remember when you thinking about Charlie and Euan,about the support team behind the camera to pick the bikes up and wipe their collective backsides!!.

I enjoyed watching it,but buy anything or be spured on by anything i saw in it??? dear me that really is sad.

:mad:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think the idea of using something youare familiar with, like the GS, has some actual merit since you know what it is, what it does and that it meets your needs. I've had both, a '02 R1150GS and the current Tiger. Both had pros and cons. I saw it something like this:
BMW likes:
abs, telelever, tipover protection provided by cylinder heads (better yet with crashbars), support of bmw motorcycle owners of America, greater availability of accessories.
BMW dislikes;
Poor fuel mileage, suspect reliability (long story), high maintenance costs, gearing too tall, engine stalled easily at very low running speeds (for example crawling along on rough road), unresolved mechanical issues (pinging for example).
Tiger likes:
Fun, zoomy engine, sharp handling, good fuel mileage, runs well on regular, inexpensive price, inexpensive maintenance, engine is super tractable at any speeds and can run at a crawl as well as at redline.
tiger dislikes:
tranny took a long time to overcome stiffness, , almost too tall, slightly odd ergos especially foot pegs, mediocore suspension and brakes, iffy detailing (why it takes two keys, one for iginition one for bags, the bags have three locks each, BMW has one key for all, bags have only one lock to open and take on and off).
I'm not going to trail ride either one but out of the box I think the BMW is slightly less vulnerable to damage. The Triumph oil cooler and radiator look vulnerable. I would think for seriously rough terrain both could use some 'up armoring'
I like both bikes. I got three good years out of my GS before I got aggravated with poor dealer service and traded it off.
I've only had the Tiger for a year and so far I am liking it a lot. I have a very good local dealer and I truly enjoy each ride on the bike. Bike for bike at the moment I would simply rather have the Tiger. There could come a time, if we had a good BMW dealer that I could see myself wanting a R1200GS, that bike has many features I covet, but we're not there yet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fano - Awesome pictures so thank you for that.
Twin Rider - Again good comparison and excellent point re the BMW support. I just met with the BMW dealer in our local area and I have to say not as flash and as helpful as the Triumph Dealer.

Now Winger what can I say to you but WOW!!! oh and Anger management. I started adventure riding back in 1999 which yes it does not make me an expert hence why I asked for advice from people with experience. You provided neither.

My comments around the KTM I believe are justified as is your comment re a crew picking them up and wiping their backside but still have some balls. The real reason I withdraw from the KTM was nothing more than my own personal doubt on reliabilty and maintenance costs (2x times higher than the BMW and 4 times higher than Triumph.

If you read my previous posts, I owned a R1150GS in 2000/01 - Yes 3-4 years before the Long Way Round was made so please dont think I am buying a bike to replicate Ewen and Charlie (For the record I believe Charlie Boorman to be one of the most annoying little men I had watched ever on TV so not really inspirational).

My motiviation around this purchase is my own personal wish to continue my past passion for off & on road riding, something that handles the hot and cold weather, desert roads, trails, water and all out off road.

It is true most of it comes down to the rider so maybe all these bikes are more than adequate to meet my needs so I could choose anything and it would be fine. But what I dont want to do is buy something to then discover that because of my ignorance and not asking questions it doesnt.

So I will get to my point and what this initial post was about. I have dismissed the 1150GS and opted for the 06 Tiger and will receive it in 8 days time.

So thank you for all your excellent advise and support.

Now Winger - Remember - Anger Management :razz:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Congratulations, You won't be sorry. If you are planning taking it off road, make sure to get some crash bars. :upthumb:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Twinrider

Your abslolutely right,but i can't help it when someone comes asking questions that you wouldn't exspect from a 5 year old,oh and by the way can i have a answer in 12 hours,when the only person who's got e'm is YOU.

Your playing a silly game.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Congrats Nigele. I hope you end up being happy with the bike. Nothings perfect but I've sure found it to be a charmer so far.
Theres nothing exotic or ground breaking in the Tiger, just solid, proven, engineering and design.
What I find most curious for me was that I had another bike with very similar attributes, a Suzuki 650 V-Strom, which many people love. It has about the same strengths and weaknesses as the Tiger, mediocore suspension, not as fully developed a package but a very good engine and running gear. Curiously i found the Strom totally uninvolving to the point where I just didn't like riding it. It functioned perfectly well but I had no more attachment to it than a blender. I knew from the day I bought it that when trade in time came for the Strom I'd let it go like cashing in a pop bottle.
Here we have the Tiger which I feel completely differently about, a bike I look forward to riding and one that I find myself thinking of as one of the best I've ever owned.
Funny thing how we end up perceiving these things. Hope you post back your impressions after your get the bike and have a chance to knock off some miles on it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Winger, I have to say this was my first time on this site and you dont inspire me to come back. People like you give these resources a bad name and push people away and destroying the sites reputation on your way.

If you did not have anything constructive to add then you should not have participated into this post at all.

You claim I asked a question of a 5 year old yet you are the one acting like a spoiled child...I suppose I should have expected that from a brummy.

To everyone else I would like to thank you again for the advice whilst assiting me to buy my bike.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts