Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to buy a very low mile (<1000miles) 2004 Rocket III. Are there any known issues with the first model year? Any recall notices or reasons I should stay away from this bike? Since it is out of warranty and has low miles I'm somewhat leery of having a problem due to a manufacturing defect. Would it be worth $8500? Thanks.

Pete

·
Registered
690 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
there were a few minor problems, like anything mechanical.
Nothing to stop you.
I'm sure it has a full mechanical history it comes with.
With that few miles there "could" be problems,
but then theres other guys who have riden 40,000 or more miles with no trouble ,
so you just have to roll the dice and take your chances.
Triumph has been handleing any issues even with a bike out of warrenty,
so your "low mileage" should work in your favor, IF you do have any issues.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
I endorse what xhdskip said. There was a recall for some improperly assembled rear drive assemblies, so check to make sure that was done if it applied to the one you;re looking at. The gearbox and the timing chain tensioner were the two other main concerns on the early models, and not everybody has problems with those.

If it's a "real" 2004, it would be an extreme rarity, however. Only a tiny handful of members have ever reported having one titled as a 2004. Alhough released in the early summer of 2004, the bikes were officially introduced for the 2005 model year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts