Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally received my Shorai LFX14A1 on Monday, but I have issues?

Connected up the battery and measured the voltage at 13.5v. Thought this was ok, as the instructions said it arrives at 90% charge.

Anyway first crank and bike started, but not without some horrendous clacking from the sprag. Stopped the bike, tried again and the noise got worse until nothing. Yep, sprag toasted.

So new sprag kit ordered and fitted last night. Attempt to start and it turns over slowly like the battery is flat. Charge battery for an hour with my standard type charger and bike fires up instantly. Bike seems to be charging between 13.6v and 13.9, so figured that's ok. Stop bike and leave for 15 minutes and once again, it starts right up.

Morning: Check battery voltage at 13.46v and bike will no longer start. I can't keep doing this, as I have no desire to eat another sprag, so what the hell is going on here? Do I just have a dud battery?

·
Super Moderator
22,199 Posts
What does it measure when you have the ignition/lights on, Ferris?
Resting (off load) voltage doesn't count for much

It doesn't sound like you got it fully charged - the charge you got in it for an hour, you probably drained again with a couple of starts
Give it full charge overnight & try again
(But first report the voltage with the lights on)

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It drops very quickly to 12.5v and then slowly decreases from there with ignition on.

Not sure my charger is up to the task, as it pretty much shuts down. My other charger can't be used, as it has the anti-sulfation stage.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for that DEcosse and I'll do exactly that!

At least I've got a full tank of gas, so no need to stop at the servo:D

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well I finally received my Shorai LFX14A1 on Monday, but I have issues?

Connected up the battery and measured the voltage at 13.5v. Thought this was ok, as the instructions said it arrives at 90% charge.

Anyway first crank and bike started, but not without some horrendous clacking from the sprag. Stopped the bike, tried again and the noise got worse until nothing. Yep, sprag toasted.

So new sprag kit ordered and fitted last night. Attempt to start and it turns over slowly like the battery is flat. Charge battery for an hour with my standard type charger and bike fires up instantly. Bike seems to be charging between 13.6v and 13.9, so figured that's ok. Stop bike and leave for 15 minutes and once again, it starts right up.

Morning: Check battery voltage at 13.46v and bike will no longer start. I can't keep doing this, as I have no desire to eat another sprag, so what the hell is going on here? Do I just have a dud battery?

sounds like you might have got a dud. I also fitted for the first time my shorai that I have had for about 3 months sitting on my bench. It had only 13.2 v never been charged by me, and it started straight up and then again after running only for a few minutes and several times that arvo after all very short runs with no probs.At 13.5 volts that over 90% capacity.After the testing and punishment that Decosse gave the battery previously yours sounds sus.
Did you get the terminals tight, I found the posts very flimsy and awkward to tighten without supporting them and make sure the cable lugs are clean.

http://www.shoraipower.com/images/tech/VoltageVsCapacityLg.gif

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you get the terminals tight, I found the posts very flimsy and awkward to tighten without supporting them and make sure the cable lugs are clean.
I know what you mean about the terminals and I apparently have the new type. I didn't do them up tight at all and only used a screwdriver. I also have the 4 gauge starter mod.

I'll take it for a long ride before I go further, but if that fails to produce results, I'll remove it for good.

·
Super Moderator
22,199 Posts
Yes, the terminals struck me after my initial reply, especially since the resting voltage seems so strong
You probably need to revisit the 4ga mod also - especially if this was done right before installing the new battery - and make sure everything is good there.
Are all those terminals asscoiated with that tight also? And you installed the engine ground?
Had you tried with another battery to determine if the battery or associated with your mod?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 4ga mod was done months ago and had been absolutely fantastic until my previous battery started to fail.

The engine ground is the only thing touched recently, as I added a ground wire for a terminal block and that is definitely tight. I'll revisit all the connections though.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

Before checking cables, I tried another battery from the Bonneville SE (YT12B-BS), which I knew to be good. Although I had some concerns with the 125 CCA, it's the standard fitment for the 1050 Tiger. The bike cranked for about 3 seconds and started. It seemed slightly longer and slower than normal, but it was healthy.

I replaced it with the Shorai and this time, fastened it with a spanner. I had a jumper pack at the ready, but I thought I'd give it a whirl on its own. It fired into life instantly!:D

Just got back from a 160km ride with no issues, stopped the bike and re-started with no problem. All seems to be fine now, voltage is resting at 13.43v, so I can only put it down to terminal connections not tight enough in the beginning.

Thanks guys for helping out!:D

·
Registered
359 Posts
Before checking cables, I tried another battery from the Bonneville SE (YT12B-BS), which I knew to be good. Although I had some concerns with the 125 CCA, it's the standard fitment for the 1050 Tiger. The bike cranked for about 3 seconds and started. It seemed slightly longer and slower than normal, but it was healthy.

I replaced it with the Shorai and this time, fastened it with a spanner. I had a jumper pack at the ready, but I thought I'd give it a whirl on its own. It fired into life instantly!:D

Just got back from a 160km ride with no issues, stopped the bike and re-started with no problem. All seems to be fine now, voltage is resting at 13.43v, so I can only put it down to terminal connections not tight enough in the beginning.

Thanks guys for helping out!:D
Very good then, hope thats all it was.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmmm, for some reason it likes to start on the second attempt first thing in the morning? After which, it starts perfectly well.

I've just ordered the FH012AA regulator and the Triumph link lead (NZ$30):eek:, so hopefully that'll help.

·
Super Moderator
22,199 Posts
Is it cold there right now? (it's Winter, right?)
Turn on lights for a little bit before attempting to start - that will self-heat the battery and improve the current capability.
Yes, it sounds backwards but that will help - when battery is cold, ions are less mobile - battery works better when at a 'normal' operating temp. Supplying current (to lights) will do just that, bring its 'core' temp up & improve its performance

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers DEcosse, I'll give that a try, though it does sound backward. Yes it's Winter, but low temps are currently around 11 degrees C.

Any idea how long that link lead has been available? Just that Triumph NZ has never had a request for that part.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, that's not all it was!

The battery is a dud and will be replaced under warranty.

Six days resting and it had to be jump started. Once bike had been running, the battery seemed to work fine until its next long rest.

I connected a YT12B-BS to the bike and left it for a couple of days to check my bike wasn't draining and that all checked out. Bike started straight away with the Yuasa (twice), so all good there.

Over the last 2 days, the Shorai had been sitting inside connected only to a multimeter. No noticeable drop, so I swapped it back into the bike and attempted to start. Not a chance, as it would barely crank.

At 854.7g, the bloody thing wouldn't even make a good paper weight!:D

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, good news there anyway!
Yes, certainly is and apparently they're very good about it too. Only interested in which order it related to and have referred the relevant info to their tech team.

·
Registered
359 Posts
So it was a dud after all. And it is good news about the warranty and service from shorai. I have always found the Yanks to be very good with warranty issues , probably because there are so many of them and they do a lot of business and they can afford the odd comeback, whatever the case its all good.
I was thinking again about the battery terminals and have found usually that when they are loose or dirty that when you first try to start the engine you get a cracking or arc at the battery post and then the connection opens circuit and everything goes dead.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.