Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got kinda a disjointed affair myself.....here where I live, I have an 18'x20' tin building where we kep our bikes out of the weather, and I do general maintenance....fairley well equipped, MIG welder, small lathe, drill press, sand blast cabinet....
But the "SHOP" as my Dad and I call it, is at his place. We built it in '70, and immediately started equipping it, splitting the cost on all the tools, building....everything. This is where most of my engine building has been done over the years....

Like I said....we been doing this stuff for years.....looking at some CNC equipment now.....but heck...the ole manual stuff works great, and we're both retired.....nah....more bikes!

[ This message was edited by: kliff on 2006-11-21 15:31 ]

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Wow Kliff, looks like fun!

I've recently moved into my girlfriend's Duplex, and it doesn't have a garage, but it has a nice secure carport.

I moved out of a house with a nice big garage that I had pretty well "shopped up" with my MIG welder, a big drill press, a 4'x8' welding table that my grandfather made just after WW2, a huge vise and a ton of hand tools, grinders, drills, and all my other stuff.

Now all that stuff is stacked in the back of my friends' garage waiting for me to organize it to where I can work in there, he wasn't using the garage so he let me move my tools in there, and my project hardtail XS650.

I hope to buy a house in the next year and start what you started one day.

Nice shop.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I just inherited a ton of hand tools, my grandfather passed away about 10 years ago, but his shop was still pretty intact. He was a machinist and had his own shop, all the machines were still there until recently, but hadn't had power to the shop for about 8 years, it was all 3 phase and my grandmother didn't want to keep paying for the extra service.

I'm 26, and I was 16 when he died, ever since I knew him he was basically bed ridden which was really a sad thing. He wasn't into bikes, but he was a helluva machinist from what my mom and uncle tell me.

All his machines were too big for my needs, the smallest lathe was a 19'' and was about the size of my car. My uncle sold most of the stuff off but I got a ton of hand tools and bits and various machine stuff.

I'd love to have a small lathe and a bridgeport mill. and a CNC, and a Tig Welder, and a pipe bender...like you said, the more you have the more you want.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
WOW!!! kliff
Man oh man... am I jealous I only started my shop about 6 years ago.
And I thought I was doing good. Now I see I still have a long
way to go.
Very nice, it looks like your ready to tackle any job that comes your way.
Bill

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I know it sounds like a ton of cash, but stuff like that mill, sells for about 1500.00 now, the big 12x36 lathe about 2500.00......side jobs, tax refunds.....poker winnings....just takes time. and when buying machine equipment, remember the machine is just the beginning.....chucks, bits, centers, vices....all the extras.....start with the basics, and add as you need.....you'll be surprised at how soon the equipment piles up.....

Here's one more for you....Dad has become the "Genteel Retired Machinist." He bought 4 castings for this....upper and lower crankcase halve, flywheel, and timing gear cover.
Everything else he made, even including winding the valve springs, building the cam, crank, rods....EVERYTHING.

Oh yeah....it runs too.

Sorry but my stuff ends up in engines, on bikes.....I guess I need to slow down and get refined to......naaaaaaahhhh....still having too much fun!

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
kliff,

Now that's the best few posts I've ever read in this forum.

What an outstanding shop - and what a cool dad you have!

Amazing stuff!

That's it, I'm packing my bags and heading south... outta the way, McQueen... now, kliff, what town did you say you lived in...?

Cheers,

D9

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
HEY!

I was in line first!

Besides, this is my current toolset:

:(

...and I had to rough up a six-year-old to get it.

[ This message was edited by: McQueen on 2006-11-21 17:03 ]

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
That's some very impressive work there kliff.
Having all the machinery is one thing
having the now how and talent and imagination
is another. Great work.
bill

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Your Dad is a very talented man, and, I'm sure the apple
didn't fall to far from the tree.
I love tools and, one can never have to many.
Bill

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
bonnevillebilly said
That's some very impressive work there kliff.
Having all the machinery is one thing
having the now how and talent and imagination
is another.
Truer words were never spoken. Although my forte is electronics and my collection of tools tends toward that field, I know enough about mechanics to recognize an awesome home machine shop when I see one. :bow: :bow: :bow:

And Kliff, you can never have too many "cool tools"! :hammer:

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hey Kliff, that's a very impressive shop; and its a great father - son thing to do, repairing things, be it cars, motorcycles, or even a lawn tractor, especially when you have as nice a shop as yours!

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Now that is funny!

Uh... can I borrow that saw?... I forgot to shorten one of my turn signals...

Cheers,

D9

On 2006-11-21 17:01, McQueen wrote:
HEY!

I was in line first!

Besides, this is my current toolset:

...and I had to rough up a six-year-old to get it.
[ This message was edited by: D9 on 2006-11-21 22:18 ]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts