Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm BillR, out near Seattle, WA.
Rode a 1200 Trophy last fall and loved it, so shopping for one with cash in hand. Hoping to find one with top box and warmers.
Correct me if wrong, but the 99-03 are all the same right?
I am seeing silver ones, almost no emerald green or blue or red or brg.
Guess they're so nice to look at nobody sells those.

I am seeing prices for a couple with less than 20K miles of $4k to $5K, is that good, high?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
464 Posts
$4000 isn't too bad a price if the bike is clean,been well maintained ,has a top box,fairly good tires and under 20,000 miles.I've got almost 50K on my '01 1200 and have never had a mechanical problem.It's got a Rich's custom seat(from Seattle),Trident mufflers,Gen-Mar handlebar risers,heated grips,DID Gold X-Ring chain and completely re-did the front forks with RaceTech springs,bushings,seals etc.I would probably never get $5000 if I tried to sell it,because of the mileage,but it's worth much more to me than that.It's been a great bike.The only downside to the Trophy,is it doesn't do well in strong side winds.But I suspect that may be true with all Sport Tourers with that much fairing and a top box.You're presenting a lot of sail.Good luck...By the way,the Platinum ones are by far the fastest.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They both sold....

Thanks for the reply. I know what you mean, they are a lot of bike for the price. I've only test ridden one of them, with top box/grip warmers, and she sure was smooth.
Well just my luck, Both of those faster Platinum 1200's sold, one yesterday one this morning. One was in WA, one in OR, craigslist finds. I have a stack of 100's sitting here so been cruising clist, cycletrader.com and ebay, and ads here. I shipped a bike once, my Buell (great bike btw), so maybe find a Trophy priced such that shipping makes sense.

Back to hunting.
Is there an active RAT group out here by Seattle?

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'm sure a good one will turn up.Look for an '01-'02-'03.The inline 4 1200 is a bulletproof motor.When I got my Trophy,I bought it off cycletrader.It was in Oakland.I flew down,the seller met me at the airport,took me to his home,we checked out the bike thoroughly,I paid him and rode it back to Eastern Washington.Saved me the shipping and I got a nice ride in.The bike was immaculate,with only about 1700 miles.One of the best deals I've ever made.Cycle Barn in Lynwood has a RAT Pack.The leaders name is Dave Preston.His e-mail is [email protected] Their RAT Pack makes an annual trip over here the end of June every summer.Those guys get over here and it's like Disneyland to them,due to the lack of traffic.If you can find a good Trophy by then,maybe you ought to ride over with them.Good luck and happy hunting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's diff on 01/02/03 from earlier

Bill,
What's diff from 99/00 to the newer years, any?
Sent an email to Preston.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Trophy search

Did you contact Cascade Moto Classics in Beaverton? They are a great shop and I have seen a 1200 there - sold recently. They also had a 900 which is gone too.

Call them and have them put out some feelers regarding finding one. They have a large customer base and guys bring their bikes in from out of state for service.

I will keep my eyes open for you too and let you know if I find anything. I know what it is like trying to find a good bike. They are out there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
LOL, I bought the 1200 at Cascade Moto. Love it. Good luck on your search. LEt me know when you find one and we can ride sometime!!.:)

·
2014 Bonneville T100
1,475 Posts
Nationwide 1200 Search Results

Hi BillR,
I've been shopping 1200's nationwide (mostly craigslist) for the past three months. I settled on an immaculate BRG BBBB from Nashville priced at $3500. It's got 43,000 miles; owner has all service records going back to brand new. It's been immaculately maintained. I am not afraid of a high mileage Trophy because, as other posters have said, the motor is bullet proof. I live in Minneapolis; expect to pick up the bike in 2-3 weeks.

I have seen '96 to '02 Trophy bikes ranging from $3,400 to $7,500; miles from 9,000 to 65,000. Average price is about $4,600 for a bike with 25,000 miles. I seriously looked into about 8 of the bikes. Sellers were willing to spend lots of time on the phone and send pictures. Having the service records was the clincher for me.

I spent a lot of time reading through the Hinckley website's files; this helped me ask good questions and gain confidence in choosing a bike that I'll gamble a flight to go see and buy. That web site (focused solely on Trophy) is

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/TriumphTrophy/

Good luck with your search. Hope this was helpful.

John F
FasTriumph
'96 BRG BBBB
'91 Goldwing 1500 (passed my motorcyle license test on that beast)
'87 CB 900

·
Registered
48 Posts
900 is the bomb!

The triple has loads of more character than the 1200/4. I turn more heads when I'm on mine than the 1200 ever could. I just got a corbin seat for it. That's about the only main replacement I've made to the bike. The stock seat just looks like crap. Find one with bags, as they become essential in everyday commuting. Mine is a 1996 that has 46000 and is running as strong as the day I got it. I got about 44 mpg with it on my last tank of gas. If you can find one for about or less than 3500, take it! They don't hold their resale value so that's another plus for you as a buyer!!!!;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Still shopping

Still shopping.
Heard from Dave Preston at Cycle Barn, heads up the RAT group, said nobody wants to sell theirs.
Yet.
So still have cash sitting waiting. A friend has an ST1100, looked at one but much heavier than the Triumph.
99-03 1200 is the target.

I let Cascade Moto know I am looking too.

·
2014 Bonneville T100
1,475 Posts
2000 Trophy 1200 4 Sale in Minneapolis

Hey boatz,
Here's a nice 1200 for sale in my neck of the woods. 13,000 miles. Looks to be in great shape. They are asking $5,300.

I bought my bike from a guy in Nashville; going to pick it up in a couple weeks. Had someone I trust check it out. I'd be happy to take a look at this bike for you. Not sure if you want to fly and drive. Let me know.

Here's the link:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/1138694061.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool, emailed him.

Sent him an email asking for phone number.
Thanks for the offer, we'll see what he says.

·
Registered
84 Posts
1200 Trophy

Boatz, I've decided to sell my 99 1200, 18,000 miles British Racing Green, Corbin seat, hardbags, Givi trunk, 6piston front brakes, current service, new chain, Nology coils, Clearview screen. $4200, it's in Illinois, not far from St Louis, MO. Let me know if you are interested.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts