Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm strongly considering a Shoei RF1200 helmet. I've had a number of Shoei helmets and the RF1200 looks good to me now. My one concern is that some owners say they whistle on bikes where you sit up. Since I lean forward on my Street Triple, I'm thinking this won't be an issue. Have those of you who wear a RF1200 had an issue with whistling?

·
Registered
129 Posts
No issues with my RF-1200. I ride a T120 and a Tiger 1200 and don't have any whistling.
The RF-1200 is my favorite / most comfortable helmet I've ever had. Without hesitation, I'll buy another one when this one expires.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I just bought one a few weeks ago and love it. It might be because it’s new but it really seems to me to be the quietest helmet I’ve owned. But my previous helmet was a Bell RS-1 which had a shield that never sealed completely on top, let rain in as well as noise (thanks Bell for your s....y customer service). I wore it out of spite and poverty for the last 6 years.

The Shoei shield snaps satisfyingly closed and there’s a dramatically sharp reduction to ambient sound volume. I haven’t noticed a whistling but I listen to music which might mask that.

I also ride in as full tuck position as I can on the Street Triple and while I do wish there were more vertical visibility it’s no worse than any other helmet I’ve had. Maybe slightly better.

The Shoei can also use a pinlock. My HJC before the Bell could too and I really missed that feature while riding with the Bell. Another complaint about the Bell: the supposedly fog-free coating only lasts a half-year at most, then it’s back to riding with a cracked open shield at any temps below 60°F.

Also had two Bell shields trashed because the tiny plastic tab (literally 1mm thick) that locks them into the helmet catch would break after a year or so.

Don’t buy Bell.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Well, you are comparing apples to oranges. Price category, older helmet. Bell makes anything from $100 to $1500, and Bell Race is tops. Vertical view is unparalleled. I’m actually itching to buy the new Bell race flex.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well, you are comparing apples to oranges. Price category, older helmet. Bell makes anything from $100 to $1500, and Bell Race is tops. Vertical view is unparalleled. I’m actually itching to buy the new Bell race flex.
Yeah, you’re right. I still think the shield not sitting flush lot was either a manufacturing error or bad design. Whichever, I wish Bell took responsibility for it because it is a basic feature of a working helmet.

It’s the position that feels most comfortable and in control to me, butt back, weight forward. It also allows me to grip the tank with my knees. Partly it could be the techspec tank grips which don’t reach as forward as I’d like so I scoot back to compensate. Swear to dog I’m not trying to look cool. In city traffic I’m not in full tuck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have 2 RF1200s and an X14, also a Bell Qualifier. I've not noticed any whistling, but I wear earplugs all the time. The RF1200s aren't the quietest helmets around, but the fit & feel is great on my medium-oval head. Also, all 3 Shoeis shields have fittings not only for Pinlock, but also for tear-offs. I bought the Qualifier for the graphic (Isle of Man 2018) because I'd waited too long to spring for the Star (a better version of the same graphic) and my size became unavailable. I was interested in the MIPS technology, and still am, but I don't like the Bell Q nearly as much as I do my Shoeis: the Q shield doesn't lock, and it's harder for me to slide my glasses over my ears...

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all of you for your responses. I rode to Cycle Gear yesterday and bought an RF-1200. I wore a GT-Air for about six years and then a Neotec 2 and I am surprised at how light the RF-1200 feels (286 g or 10.1 oz lighter than the Neotec 2.) When I swivel my head back to look behind me, it's like I don't even have a helmet on. It's not as quiet as the Neotec 2, but there isn't any whistling. I think I'll be happy.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Good move - I have (2) RF-1200's and can't complain. The fit my head great. You can also change the stock pads in it if you need more/less room. My other helmet is a Bell ADV helmet and of course the Shoei by comparison is better. The wife uses a modular HJC - moreso because it fits her head better.

I recently put in a Cardo set-up into one of my two RF1200 helmets and I did notice the removal of the speaker pads made a noticeable wind noise difference. So I just use foam ear plugs when I wear that one (versus my reusable's).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts