Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're considering a flip-up helmet the Shoei Multitec is one of the best. It's also one of the most expensive. I paid around $440.00 for mine through a local dealer but I've seen them on line from $399-$495 so shop around.
I've owned the HJC and Nolan flip-ups in the past and while they both cost half as much as the Shoei there is no comparison.

Things I like: The quality of the paint is amazing. I have the anthracite metallic color and it looks like the paint job on a Mercedes. Deep and rich. First rate materials throughout the interior. It's padded firmly but comfortable. The liner is also removable for cleaning. The venting seems about average and so far I've had no fogging issues with the face shield. The face shield stays put in any position when open.
The chin bar is also easy to open and close with one hand while riding even with thick gloves.
The biggest improvement over the cheaper helmets I've tried is how quiet it is and it really is quiet. I couldn't wear the Nolan without earplugs. Shoei claims they've spent the last 2 years developing this helmet to be quieter than the Syncrotec it replaces and it shows. The outer shell has spoilers and bulges to smooth out turbulence and it works. I bought the large and it fits me well.

Things I don't like: The chin strap still uses double D-rings which work great but are soooo old fashioned and slow. Even the cheap Nolan had a quick release ratchet buckle. I bought an aftermarket quick release to handel that. The chin bar is a little close to my chin but it's not a problem. Apart from that it's a fantastic helmet.

Great quality, as quiet as advertised (still not as quiet as a non flip-up but close) and very comfortable. Expensive but you get your monies worth. Highly recommended.

[ This message was edited by: daytonacharlie on 2007-03-06 22:14 ]

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
How is the weight of this helmet? My Fulmer flip up is heavy and after riding a while my neck really starts to hurt :hammer:

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oldman,
I'm not sure what your Fulmer weighs but the Multitec weighs 3 lbs, 15 oz. which is a little on the heavy side of average but I've not experienced any discomfort from the weight. By comparison a Shoei RF-1000 full face (non flip-up) weighs 3 lbs, 8-3/4 oz. It's all in what you're used to I guess.

Check the chart here Motorcycle Helmet Weights to see how they compare.

dc

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
daytonacharlie, I put my Fulmer on the bathroom scale, being that it was not listed on the flip-up list :-D (great site by the way thanks) and it was a shade under 4 lbs, probably the same weight as your Multitec. I guess I will have to do neck exercises :-D

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm seriously tempted by the flip-up helmet because I wear glasses, but I've never felt all that comfortable with the safety aspect compared to a traditional full-face.

How solid is the Multitec when it's latched closed? how burly are the latches that attach the chin bar to it?

For that matter, anyone have an opinion about safety and modular helmets? I'm an ATGATT guy, and wouldn't feel comfortable without a chinbar on my helmet. I read somewhere that 71% of helmet impacts are in the areas covered by a full-face, but not by an open face helmet...

·
Registered
896 Posts
I use a Caberg/Jarrow/Justissimo Mono X2

Caberg FlipUp

It passes the EU certification. The catches are metal to metal and there is a metal bar that runs through the chin portion. The one handed flip up works well, with just one hand. It uses a quick connect instead of a Dring setup.

I had a grazing face plant in my off last year and the helmet took it on the chin (literally) and suffered a scrape, but stayed on and functioned well after the crash.

I wear a flipup for the convenience it affords a prescription glasses wearer.

While the helmet is slightly heavy when up, it just isn;t worn like that often enough for it to be a serious issue. Note that range officers in MC schools will justifiably argue that it does make a huge difference to them...

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On 2007-03-14 10:24, rustbucket wrote:
I'm seriously tempted by the flip-up helmet because I wear glasses, but I've never felt all that comfortable with the safety aspect compared to a traditional full-face.

How solid is the Multitec when it's latched closed? how burly are the latches that attach the chin bar to it?

For that matter, anyone have an opinion about safety and modular helmets? I'm an ATGATT guy, and wouldn't feel comfortable without a chinbar on my helmet. I read somewhere that 71% of helmet impacts are in the areas covered by a full-face, but not by an open face helmet...
I also wear glasses so the flip up appealed to me as a matter of added convince. As far as safety the latches are very solid, no slop or play at all. It's very secure in my opinion. I've never heard of a flip up failing as a result of a crash.

I crashed 3 years ago wearing an HJC flip up. Even though it was a cheap lid compared to the Shoei it held together just fine and it was totaled (the helmet) from the accident. I'd say with as much liability as helmet manufacturers face with their products I feel pretty secure with a modern flip up.

dc

·
Registered
944 Posts
Man, I must need new glasses. I just posted this today, totally missing yours from a week or so ago.

Page Title

All in all, great helmet...and the first one that actually fits my head.

[ This message was edited by: NinjaRAT on 2007-03-15 21:28 ]

·
Registered
944 Posts
I forgot to mention in my review that I do miss the ratchet style fastening mechanism of my Nolan. Which after market solution did you go with?

I've seen a few, but none that rivals the Nolan. Oh well, guess we can't have EVERYTHING, eh? :-D

·
Registered
944 Posts
Actually, according to WebBikeWorld, riding behind a windsheild is usually noisier, due to turbulance. I find that if I'm riding my wife's SM, I notice less booming from under the helmet. With earplugs, of course.

Thanks DaytonaCharlie...I'll check out the link.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts