Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 3rd Shoei helmet and was wondering.... what is the correct pronunciation of Shoei? Is it shu ee? or show ee? I've heard it both ways. And what about Arai? Anybody know?

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
The main thing is how does it work if you hit your head?? I'm not Japanese and have no idea of the correct pronunciation-say it like you like it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
if Shoei and Arai are Japanese then Arai would sound like: Ah-rah-ee

I'm not sure how Shoei would sound cause I thought in Nihongo an "e" makes an "ah" type sound. So I would guess: Show-a-ee or Show-eh-ee

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
"Shoei" pronounced "Sho-ee-the-moneeee"

"Arai" pronounced "'Arry" [short for "'Arry-sell-'im-this-one"]

Hope this helps.

Incidentally,

"Schuberth", pronounced "Shu-berth-be-joking, 'ow much?"

HJC - acronym for Heavy Japanese Cra*

MOMO - acronym for Mor-On, More Off

·
Registered
2019 Triumph Street Twin
2,422 Posts
OK, none of the previous attempts at correct pronunciation is correct for how a Japanese would say it.

Shoei is a 4-syllable word that distinctly sounds out the "sho" (sounds like the word show), the "e" (sounds like eh), and the "i" (sounds like the letter e) with equal emphasis.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, from the responses, I guess the best thing is to say it the way you see it! Regardless of how you say it, they are the best fitting helmet (for me) I've ever had. Just retired an old Duotec last year and tried a Nolan N102. Didn't fit my head and was too heavy. Sold that and just bought a TZ-R. Feels good so far, will have to change cheek pads (at least I can)but other than that, it's good. My 3/4 Air Platinum is also a great fit and great for the extreme hot weather riding here in Texas. :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I also say "show-eee". Don't know if that's correct, but I say it like it is and no one's corrected me yet! I have the TZ-R too. Great helmet. I love it.

SaltRat

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
On 2007-02-25 20:17, Scrambler900 wrote:
Shoei is a 4-syllable word that distinctly sounds out the "sho" (sounds like the word show), the "e" (sounds like eh), and the "i" (sounds like the letter e) with equal emphasis.
So that's three... where does the fourth syllable come from? The groan when you see the price tag?

--mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts