Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found my stock shocks to be too stiff, and the bike a bit tall, so I bought progressive 412 shocks, 11.5 long. I like the lowered stance, but they are not much softer than the stock shocks. Should I have gone for the 440 progressives? Does anybody know the spring rate for the standard, not heavy, duty 412? I see that progressive offers springs for the 412 in 70/120, 90/130, 115/55, 90/130, and 105/150. If I knew what came on the 412 standard, then perhaps I could order some softer springs. I live in New England, where the roads are hilly and curvy, which is great fun, but the surface is often poor, due to the frost heaving the roads in the changing seasons. The rough roads are killing my back. This bike is much stiffer than my harley or my kawasakis, and I could use some relief. Thanks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the same setup on my Rocket, 11.5" 412s standard, they came off my VTX 1300. The 412s had about 4 to 5 thousand miles on them when I put them on the Rocket. The ride is very much improved over stock. If your shocks are new it may take a while for them to soften up, be sure that they are on the softest setting also. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
On 2006-11-27 16:19, TooManyBikes wrote:
Should I have gone for the 440 progressives?
I have no idea about springs but Progressive told me to get the 418's. They said the 440's would be too stiff for my weight (165) and not to get 440's unless the load was greater than 200 lbs. I got the stock length (12.5") and standard springs. :cool:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Biker 1059, I have them on the lightest setting, just too stiff to suit me. Thanks for the reply. Hey, my uncle lives in Longview. I just saw him last weekend, when he came east for his sister';s 84th birthday. I told him I was making a bike trip to see him next summer.

Dougl, I saw the 418 on the web site, and wondered about them. They seem more adjustable. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Toomanybikes, my father-in-law was originally from the Hartford-Bristol area. His last name was Ronzello, said thier old farm house was where ESPN is now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I called yesterday, and after a half hour of being on hold, and the recording telling me "all technicians are busy assisting other customers. Please hold for the next available technician" every 5 rings of the on hold system, I gave up and posted here. I guess I will have to try again, and ask about the light springs vs the 440s and 418s.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
On 2006-11-28 07:55, TooManyBikes wrote:
Thanks. I called yesterday, and after a half hour of being on hold, and the recording telling me "all technicians are busy assisting other customers. Please hold for the next available technician" every 5 rings of the on hold system, I gave up and posted here. I guess I will have to try again, and ask about the light springs vs the 440s and 418s.
Patience. I called them twice and got right through. :cool:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called again, and got through. We decided to change to lighter springs. If they are too light, they recommended going to the 418 shock, which has adjustable dampening, which should make for a softer ride. I ordered the springs from J&P, and when I get them installed, will report on the result.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I recieved the new springs, and got them installed, which is not an easy task. There is a bizarre two piece rubber retainer under the C shaped metal retainer, and that rubber retainer is held in place by a snap ring that is difficult to reach. Anyhow, I put the shocks in place, and set the preload to #3, and took a short test ride. It was short because it is 33 degrees F today, and snowing, and I have a badly damaged leg from an accident a week and a half ago, so I did not get far. It seems to be bottoming out, so I will try increasing the preload and retest on a better day. Winter has arrived in New England. Happy spring to those down under.

·
Registered
167 Posts
That winter thing is getting in the way of riding!
Only made it a few miles on Sunday for the Toys for Tots ride. The temperature was 12 F and layers and layers of clothes wasn't cuttin' it.
Oh well....maybe next week!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
On 2006-12-05 14:14, TooManyBikes wrote:
I recieved the new springs, and got them installed, which is not an easy task. There is a bizarre two piece rubber retainer under the C shaped metal retainer, and that rubber retainer is held in place by a snap ring that is difficult to reach. Anyhow, I put the shocks in place, and set the preload to #3, and took a short test ride. It was short because it is 33 degrees F today, and snowing, and I have a badly damaged leg from an accident a week and a half ago, so I did not get far. It seems to be bottoming out, so I will try increasing the preload and retest on a better day. Winter has arrived in New England. Happy spring to those down under.
How much do you weigh?

From your first post, the 11.5" 412's presumably with standard springs, were too stiff. How many pre-load settings are there and what setting did you have them on when they were too stiff (presumably #1?).

Now you have lighter springs than standard and they're bottoming on #3 out of 4 or 5. Sounds like the new springs are too light. I don't think you want the shocks on the highest setting with one-up riding. Maybe part of the problem with the lighter springs is that the shocks are 11.5", one inch shorter than the 12.5" stock for the Rocket.

I'm 165 lbs. and the 418's with standard spring (12.5") work great on the lowest pre-load setting (#1) - not close to bottoming out.

:cool:

[ This message was edited by: dougl on 2006-12-05 16:09 ]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dougl, I weigh about 200 with clothes on. I had the 412 shorts on the lowest preload setting. Perhaps you are taller than me, or have longer legs, but I found the stock springs to be a bit high, and could not get my feet down flat. Maybe that is not going to happen with this bike, and I should go back to the 12.5 with softer springs, so I get the ride I want at the sacrifice of flat footedness. I will try these shocks with the light springs cranked up a bit more to see if that helps, but it seems the swingarm travel is severly reduced with the short shocks. Too bad someone does not make a lower shock mount relocater to use the long shocks with a lower ride height. I have those adapters on my harley road glide, and they work well. In the meanwhile I will wait for a warmer day, and for my leg to feel and work better before going out again. Maybe I will talk my son into road testing it when he next comes for a visit. The support guy at progressive said the 418 would be a better shock, as it is adjustable in the preload and the damper. I wonder if anybody has tried the 418 shorts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts