Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I've read the threads, and I'm still unsure. I need to upgrade my suspension. Specifically, I am looking at the Ohlins, and the Hagon Nitros, which I understand have been upgraded. My issue is, I'm a big guy, 300 pounds, plus I have a full rack and aluminum panniers plus a top box on the back, and my existing Hagons were set up to max out lower than I currently carry. In my situation, which way would you go?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
IMO most important thing is getting the correct springs for your application.

·
Banned
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We thought we had, but they set it up for me naked at 20 pounds lighter. The expense of installing new springs (and having to get them from Europe) makes new shocks a viable option for me.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
I would call Dave Quinn and talk to him about it. When i upgraded to Hagons on my T100, his advice was spot on and he outfitted the shocks to fit my weight and riding style.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I have the Nitro Hagon shocks shown on the far left; chrome with black tops. I am 250 lbs and the shocks are very firm. I bought the bike used and contacted this company. They were very nice and sent me a free adjustment tool. You might want to give them a call.

Hagon Shocks, LLC
1788 La Costa Meadows Drive
Suite 101
San Marcos, CA 92078
760.510.2758 fax
[email protected]
www.hagonshocksusa.com

Attachments

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
What ever you buy at least look at
Works Performance shocks.
Built in good ol USA and built to
YOUR specs. It is all I buy now.
Been riding 46+ years on Works.
Works shocks is what Uncles Sam
puts on alot of their aircraft when they
are spending our tax dollars...
I think you should call em and chat
then decide...thank me later if you like em.

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
Still peddling them Works - hope you're getting a decent commission! :D Besides which, you got a problem with Essex? Seriously Owenbrau, have a chat with th eAmerican Hagon chap first about swapping the spring. I'm pretty sure they'll come in a damn site cheaper than a new pair of Öhlins

·
Banned
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, we have been talking with Hagon directly (I'm going through my local dealer), the issue was that the original setup was for me somewhat lighter with no gear or luggage. Neither realized I wear ATTGATT, and then I added a full rack with aluminum panniers and a topbox. So I'm now about 10 pounds over the original intended max. I decided to go with the new model Nitros, with 26 kg rate springs instead of 20. That's what the Hagon folks recommended. I had the option of just getting the springs, but the new dampers are better and it would actually take longer to get. I'll be selling the old ones.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Nicht so gut...

Still peddling them Works - hope you're getting a decent commission! :D Besides which, you got a problem with Essex?
Ha, I wish I did get a commission from Works.
I did take your crack about "peddling" Works shocks as a bit of an insult to my credibility but I; will let it go since I know how Germans can be at times,,,but I do need to respond...If I lived in Germany as you seem to per your post info, I might have heard of Essex shocks. Never heard of Essex sorry. Does Essex supply the Luftwaffe with shocks? I'm sure SSx shocks are nice if you say so. The OP lives in the United States I believe so I recommend only what I know that works and is local. If he was looking for the best beer I would recommend German beer. Have you ever used Works shocks? Probably not in Germany. Anyway I only suggested the OP check them out by window shopping before buying. I also think for low cost the TEC shocks are a good economy $hock to use. I have used other high dollar shocks on many bikes. I prefer Works. There are a lot of good products out there. But Works will work with you till they are right for you but I found they are right the first time out of the box since they build em for your specs and not off the shelf.

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
I can see you're a funny guy - Germans, war, Luftwaffe. My goodness, how original. Next you'll be making jokes about how they 'bombed our chippy' or gas chambers. Hilarious. Germans eh - not renowned for their engineering prowess, but boy can they make beer. Just as a little FYI, Essex is a county in the UK just outside London and is where Hagon shocks are made.

Oh, and I'm English - not German. No doubt you can come up with some 'jokes' about Limeys now, just to set the record straight :rolleyes:
As to your 'credibility' - do try to get over yourself. It was just a little joke, because whenever shocks are mentioned, you pipe up with a post that sounds like an advert for Works, how great they are, how they're the best in the world, how they'll walk over hot coals for their customers, etc.

·
Banned
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We looked at Works; in fact, I have their springs in front. But we decided they weren't the best fit for me.

btw, the best beer in the world comes from America. Most countries specialize in a few styles, our craft brewers do them all.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you elect to go the Ohlins route, I can reccomend Cogent Dynamics http://www.motocd.com/contact.htm. They built the Ohlins 36E for me and a few others on this board. They also did my BMW GS. They will make sure whatever shock you buy (they sell other brands as well) will be set up right for you and your riding style. They could probably rebuild your current shock to make it bettr for you. Great folks and good prices.

Good luck!

Rick G

1 - 13 of 13 Posts