Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any recommendation for a shipper who will pick up a frame, wrap it and ship it across country (US) I am thinking of buying one from another part of the country as I cant find what I am looking for locally ( '73 T140) but most sellers only offer local pickup and don't want to get involved in packing and shipping. I looked at UShip but it seemed VERY expensive. Thanks

Registered
When you start getting pick ups and wrapping the costs add up quickly.

I have sold & shipped maybe four frames over the years to different parts of the U.S. Whoever your buying it from should securely wrap it in cardboard and take it to UPS. At least that's the way I do it

K 馃樂

Registered
If you can get the frame wrapped/packed by someone, you can then have the box shipped via www.bikeflights.com. They evidently have a corporate bulk rate with fedex and can ship stuff cheaply. For instance, counter rate to ship a bicycle across country is upwards of $200, but through bikeflights, maybe $50.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, the seller doesn't seem motivated to wrap the frame I was interested in so I will let it go and see if I can find something nearer to home.

Premium Member
Hello reltub. There has to be something you can use closer to where you live. What exactly are you looking for? I know there are a lot of good parts available but you gotta keep looking. Good luck,Mike

Super Moderator
I have received, and shipped, frames across the US by both USPS (just pad the corners and make the entire bar code label totally visible), and Greyhound Bus (same).

Bus is a bit cheaper, and faster, if I remember right...

Registered
I have used Greyhound to ship a frame from NY to TX a few summers ago. It was very reasonable. I did not box the frame. Instead I used flat cardboard, bubble wrap and tons of tape. The frame arrived in a short time and it cost about $70. They provide a tracking number. You have to physically drop it off or pick it up from the Greyhound bus depot closest to you. I would have no issues using them again and the buyer was very happy with the price and service. You could probably get away with shipping a bare frame with no tape or bubble wrap. There isn't much damage that can be done by just moving it around.

Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts