Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi--first time changing the tires on my Thruxton and am really intrigued by the styling of the Shinko 705's. From what i have read on this forum, it seems like this tire is widely popular for Bonnie's and Scramblers but the information for a Thruxton is more limiting given the sizing limitations with a front 18" rim.

Has anyone made this swap for a Thruxton and if so, can you confirm the sizes you went with along with tubes? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
760 Posts
One word of warning: these tires are very "tippy" compared to what you might be used to in the same sizes. For that reason alone, I would not suggest going wider than stock. So definitely stick with a 130/80 in the rear and maybe a 4.10 on the front (104mm). It will still wind up much more tippy but they don't have the correct size tire (100mm) in an 18" for the front.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One word of warning: these tires are very "tippy" compared to what you might be used to in the same sizes. For that reason alone, I would not suggest going wider than stock. So definitely stick with a 130/80 in the rear and maybe a 4.10 on the front (104mm). It will still wind up much more tippy but they don't have the correct size tire (100mm) in an 18" for the front.
Thanks for the input. Motosport has the 4.10 in stock but for the rear, 130/80-17 is tubeless and 130/90-17 is tube type. Would i be able to put a tube in a tubeless tire?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
It's fine to run tubless tyres with a tube.

While the tyres do turn in quickly (I guess thats tippy) I run wider 705s on my Thruxton wheeled Bonneville. With 140 rear and 120 front I like the look and the handling, but that could be just me. The fronts a universal front or rear fitment but is grippy enough for spirited road use.

I did have to swap the bolts that mount the fender mount / brace to the forks for bolts with lower profile heads but a 110 would be fine for clearance.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Reactions: queeze

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
I put the Shinko 705 tires on my 2006 Thruxton and I like them. They handle fine and I prefer the aggressive look.
I run these same tires, in different sizes of course, on several of my other bikes like my Honda XR650L and also a Yamaha TW200. They work great.

·
Registered
2014 Bonneville
496 Posts
I love Shinko 705 tires. They give good grip in all weather, are inexpensive and long-lasting. I have had them on 3 different bikes so far and they were great on all of them, but on my mag-wheel Bonnie I found the 120/70R17 size on the front gave a lot of headshake over 140 km/h. It looked a lot bigger than other tires in that size I have mounted. Perhaps the rubber is extra thick? I would get them again, but I would buy stock size for the front and 150/70R17 for the rear.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I would get them again, but I would buy stock size for the front ...
They don't make a 110/70-17. I wonder if the too-large rear tire was related to the head shake? My GS500 feels like it wants to fall down all the time and is very unstable at low speeds, only made tolerable by running very high tire pressures with the 705s in 150/70-17 rear and 120/70-17 front. It has the same size wheels as a mag wheel Bonneville. The whole problem is the rim width is not big enough for 150 and 120 tires.

·
Registered
'13 Thruxton
2 Posts
I have a pair of Pirelli MT60RS on my '13 thruxton. They're nice but too pricey IMO. Will be going for these Shinkos next time!

·
Registered
2014 Bonneville
496 Posts
It has the same size wheels as a mag wheel Bonneville. The whole problem is the rim width is not big enough for 150 and 120 tires.
My bike feels great with 150 and 120 width tires from other manufacturers, but they are street tires. I think the Shinkos are just bigger for the size because the tread rubber is thicker. The front in particular looked way fatter than other 120 width I have run. Never rode with Shinko on just the rear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts