Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Bonneville Black
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Bonnie SE is short enough now that my wife can sit on it and put her feet flat on the ground, just barely. But it seems she can't back it up though without banging her shins on the mid-set foot pegs. I guess she's not feeling stable when she positions her feet farther out and is then on her toes.

What's the trick here, besides new wife? Does anyone have a system that holds the pegs up for backing the bike up?

·
Registered
306 Posts
location, location

I tend to bang my shins on my pegs if I am not careful. My solution has been to move up to the front of the seat almost on the tank if I have to back very far. The seat is narrower which allows you to get more of your feet on the ground and allows you to get your legs outside the pegs a little further. It also puts you closer to the bars to give more leverage in holding the bike upright if you have to turn as you go back. I learned some of this as I was (unsuccessfully) trying to keep my bike off the ground backing in a gravel drive. The other thing is small steps so that you don't lose your footing.:D

Pops

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
http://www.newenough.com/armor/elbow_shoulder_knee_worn_on_the_body/icon/field_armor_leg.html

No, it's not a joke, I use these every time I ride. Not just for barked shins either. When I went down last June I broke one bone but it wasn't my knee or shin! (Was a hand) I can't ride with naked knees - It feels ....... wrong.

A guy in a moto mag once said, "If you think you don't need knee protection, go out into the parking lot and just drop down onto your knees. How does that feel?"

As soon as I healed up I went out and bought this armor.:D

Comes in handy at stop lights too as I can hold the bike from rolling back with just my shins.

There, I said it. I wear leg armor.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Yes - get rid of the stock pegs and free up about 2.5 inches by moving them back by installing Norman Hyde rearsets.

I have said many times on this site that the stock pegs are - IMHO - dangerous as they get in the way of your foot when you are wanting to stop. THe NH rearsets free up that vertical space and they allow you to manoevre the bike by holding the bar and under the seat. Essentially, they are not in the way anymore.

Combine them with M bars - and you will transform the bike.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I have said many times on this site that the stock pegs are - IMHO - dangerous as they get in the way of your foot when you are wanting to stop.
I couldn't agree more with that statement. The first time I came to a stop sign and almost dropped the bike because my boot hung up as I tried to slide my foot off the peg, the stock pegs had to go. I replaced the stock pegs with Oberon touring pegs as soon as I could. They're soooo much better! (But when I bang my shin now, I reeeeally bang my shin. :p)

Back to the original question... I don't think there's any way to hold the pegs up like you're asking. The Oberon pegs are a good bit shorter than the OEM pegs. But I don't put my feet outside the pegs to back up. Catching my leg on the end of the peg seems like it could possibly hurt worse than bumping it straight on. So, to avoid banging my shins, I lean forward and put my feet a little further back... behind the pegs. That, and simply using baby steps, are my only suggestions.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Armored

http://www.newenough.com/armor/elbow_shoulder_knee_worn_on_the_body/icon/field_armor_leg.html

No, it's not a joke, I use these every time I ride. Not just for barked shins either. When I went down last June I broke one bone but it wasn't my knee or shin! (Was a hand) I can't ride with naked knees - It feels ....... wrong.

A guy in a moto mag once said, "If you think you don't need knee protection, go out into the parking lot and just drop down onto your knees. How does that feel?"

As soon as I healed up I went out and bought this armor.:D

Comes in handy at stop lights too as I can hold the bike from rolling back with just my shins.

There, I said it. I wear leg armor.
Draggin Jeans has two choices for knee/leg armor. At this time, they are unloading a set for about $18. Not a bad deal for sure.

http://www.dragginjeans.com/

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
pegs

I couldn't agree more with that statement. The first time I came to a stop sign and almost dropped the bike because my boot hung up as I tried to slide my foot off the peg, the stock pegs had to go. I replaced the stock pegs with Oberon touring pegs as soon as I could. They're soooo much better! (But when I bang my shin now, I reeeeally bang my shin. :p)

Back to the original question... I don't think there's any way to hold the pegs up like you're asking. The Oberon pegs are a good bit shorter than the OEM pegs. But I don't put my feet outside the pegs to back up. Catching my leg on the end of the peg seems like it could possibly hurt worse than bumping it straight on. So, to avoid banging my shins, I lean forward and put my feet a little further back... behind the pegs. That, and simply using baby steps, are my only suggestions.
I wonder if simply grinding the outside lip off the oem pegs would help smooth the on/off transition.
I had a fall at a stop in which one of the factors was a new set of wellington boots catching on that lip. I no longer wear those boots but have switched to a boot with a flat sole. No more problems.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I bang my shins all the time. Luckily when I ride I wear knee and shin guards, so no longer an issue

·
Registered
45 Posts
Boots?

Maybe you've already taken care of this, but my wife had a similar problem getting traction on her BV 500 (no pegs, tho). A trip to our local H-D store found her a pair of thick-soled motorcycle boots that lace up for fit, and then zip for convenience. She gets better reach and traction to move her scoot, and a much better plant of her down foot at stops.

Hog logos can be removed.

·
Premium Member
2008 Bonneville Black
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe you've already taken care of this, but my wife had a similar problem getting traction on her BV 500 (no pegs, tho). A trip to our local H-D store found her a pair of thick-soled motorcycle boots that lace up for fit, and then zip for convenience. She gets better reach and traction to move her scoot, and a much better plant of her down foot at stops.

Hog logos can be removed.
I think good boots and practice are most of the answer. There are other good tips here too though, thanks.

She's actually been looking for boots and you're right, she might have to break down and by some HD branded ones. But remove the logo? I think that is the most expensive part of the boot, it alone seems to add a bunch to the price :eek:

·
Registered
306 Posts
good source for boots

I got my boots from LeatherUp and have been very happy with them. I have bought all of my gear from them so far. The quality has been excellent and no problem with fitting either. Their prices are a fraction of what you find else where. I am just a happy customer and have no connection to the company. :D

Pops

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think good boots and practice are most of the answer. There are other good tips here too though, thanks.

She's actually been looking for boots and you're right, she might have to break down and by some HD branded ones. But remove the logo? I think that is the most expensive part of the boot, it alone seems to add a bunch to the price :eek:
I think you nailed it. Gaining confidence through practising initially on flat smooth ground is probably the commonsense thing to do. Planning ahead and risk assessing should also help to avoid potential problems. Making alterations to the bike's riding position by putting on different bars and rearsets might not be the best thing to do until she is really sure that's what she wants.

When all else fails, getting off and pushing works well for me. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts