Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a lame question, but because of the "sewing machine" exhaust - I am having a hard time learning the "sweet spot" of where I should be shifting on my new 07 Bonnie.

Does anyone (865cc) have any experience at which speed would be more appropriate for changing gears?

I really don't want to buy a tach - but - I do want to take good care of my baby... so she will take care of me.

Any advice is welcome! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I shift around 3500 just riding. But without a tach I would just not lug it down. It ain't no Harley or John Deer. It will pull well from low rpm's but I don't think that is good on the rod bearings. I don't mean they will get beat out soon. It is a tough motor I think. If I am at low rpm's I accelerate slowly or down shift.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I hit "submit" instead of spell check. Get some loud pipes & then you will hear the sweet spot. Around 5-6000 rpm. Like I said it ain't no Harley but it ain't no Honda either. Sorta in between.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
On 2006-12-26 20:39, 357Bob wrote:
Get some loud pipes & then you will hear the sweet spot.
+1, although they don't need to be loud. I have the TORs, which is why I've asked others here why they need a tach on the twin.

With my 955, I used the tach in some cases. With my Thruxton/TORs, I never even look at it. I'm tossing the tach when I decluter. Spend your money on exhaust.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Spybond,

I was having the same trouble. As a matter of fact, I probably was not winding mine out enough in each gear. One thing that helped me was to pop in some earplugs and jump on the freeway.

This eliminated most of the "nuts/bolts in a coffee can" noise , and allowed me to listen to the motor itself.

I'm still going to get louder pipes, though. :-D

-OTR

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I can't respond, since I don't remember, but I'm sure someone with an 865 could tell you what speed their bike is running at 7000 rpm in first, second, third gears, This would be sprocket-specific ... they'd have to specify 17 or 18t sprocket.

My riding buddy purchased an 01 model, and put removable thin tape markers on the speedo showing the shift points for the three lower gears. I think he used 6500 or 7000 as his 'personal' red lines in those gears.

Bob

[ This message was edited by: ohiorider on 2006-12-27 08:35 ]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

If someone has the actual MPH, that they are shifting... I would appreciate it.

Though, its pretty obvious that Pipes are in my near future. Now another troubling decision... which ones to buy. I think I better find a So Cal rider with pipes to figure it out.

-Lance

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I asked the same question a while back.

I was told to take it up to the rev' limiter in each gear, note the speeds, and shift accordingly. I used to have some Gold pinstripe on the speedo where it hit the limiter in each gear..... cheap pinstripes were almost BETTER than a tach'!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Like my old VW Bus that had hash marks on the speedo where you should be shifting.

Just take it easy on her for the first 600 miles. Then run it to the rev limiter once or twice to see where it is.

Mine has a tach, but I can ride almost totally off feel now. You get used to it

·
Registered
80 Posts
On 2006-12-27 13:08, spybond wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.

If someone has the actual MPH, that they are shifting... I would appreciate it.

Though, its pretty obvious that Pipes are in my near future. Now another troubling decision... which ones to buy. I think I better find a So Cal rider with pipes to figure it out.

-Lance
Ditto on that. I didn't want a tach either because of the look I'm trying to acheive.
If anyone has the actual MPH per gear that would be keen!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts