Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding today the shifter decided to not spring return to the middle position. My fear is that the spring for the detent arm has broken on the selector drum, it is part number 9 on this diagram:

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2011-triumph-speed-triple/o/m154246#sch737408

I'm going to make sure the shift linkage is clean and all that, but it has no problem moving freely, it just won't return normally.

The manual says to remove the engine and split the cases. Which, to say the least, is undesirable to replace a 3 dollar spring. Has anyone had this issue before and were you able to solve it all without actually removing the engine.

Bike still works fine, but it sucks having to ride that way.

·
Super Moderator
22,196 Posts

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll probably have to wait until u open it up to see what part I need anyway, I was just hopeful there might be a way to get there without engine removal but it doesn't look like it. Oh well, a new experience I guess.

If I do split the cases, anything worth replacing while I'm in there?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But even if I pull the clutch to look at it, I could see what to order, but if it's one piece with the shaft, it doesn't look like I would be able to pull the shaft to replace it. The clutch has to come out either way so might as well start with that.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again, that would be great and I'll give it a try. Will update once I can get in there and see what is going on.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Big thanks for pointing me in the right direction DeCosse. Pulled the clutch and was able to remove the shaft with no parts falling into the crank case. It was indeed a broken return spring. The difference in the spring set-up on the newer models will necessitate replacing the whole shaft which fortunately looks like its only 35 dollars. That and a new clutch cover gasket (9 bucks) and I will be good to go. I will have to swap the stuff on the front (parts 13 through 16 on the 2011 parts fiche) but that looks to just be held on by a circlip and shouldn't be a problem.

Now hopefully the parts don't take forever to get here.

·
Super Moderator
22,196 Posts
Good news
That shaft is remarkably inexpensive - hard to complain about that
(although obviously better if hadn't broken in first place! :grin2: )

... I will have to swap the stuff on the front (parts 13 through 16 on the 2011 parts fiche) ....
Took me a few minutes to digest that (thought you meant those would also require replacement) but then realized you meant just have to transfer them off the old shaft to the new one.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes sir, the whole kit is a hundred some odd dollars, but I can buy just the shaft and swap the parts from the old one. Also pleasantly surprised that it was as cheap as it was. Interesting that the spring broke since it is a relatively beefy spring, but it probably just fatigued and is afterall just a wound piece of steel so it happens. The nice part too was that it was still attached and only totally broke off after I touched it so didn't have to hunt for any parts.

As you mentioned, that last washer was on the outside of the case on the shaft, I was a little nervous since the manual says "collect the washer from inside the crank case" but after seeing all of the parts on there, I couldn't imagine there was another one not mentioned, and the picture in the shop manual even shows it on that side of the case. I guess they just want to make sure it doesn't get lost.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts