Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I went out for about 110mile ride. On my way home I was coming to a red light and down shifting into first gear when the shifter just gave out and was hanging. I pulled into the parking lot and saw the the piece that links the shifter to the, transmission I guess?, came out. I did not have any tools but managed to screw it back in just enough with my fingers to finish the ride. Has this happen to anyone else? I have an 08 Thruxton that I just bought in February.......Therefore it is under warranty. Should I take this in to get looked at? Seems pretty simple I just tightened it up when I got home, but I am starting to think I should at least take it in to get looked at.

·
Registered
615 Posts
This has happened to me before as well. Luckily, the screw is held in place by the design having ball on one end or something like that from what I remember. I tried tightening it but would check it every few days and it always seemed to loosten itself back up. I finally put some lock-tite on it and it has never loosened up since.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
So today I went out for about 110mile ride. On my way home I was coming to a red light and down shifting into first gear when the shifter just gave out and was hanging. I pulled into the parking lot and saw the the piece that links the shifter to the, transmission I guess?, came out. I did not have any tools but managed to screw it back in just enough with my fingers to finish the ride. Has this happen to anyone else? I have an 08 Thruxton that I just bought in February.......Therefore it is under warranty. Should I take this in to get looked at? Seems pretty simple I just tightened it up when I got home, but I am starting to think I should at least take it in to get looked at.
That is scary - def take it back and insist they fix it for the long term - that is why we have warranties. 20 years ago the gear shifter fell off my Triumph Tiger Cub. I walked a mile to find it on the grass verge and hammered it back on with by boot heel. It got me home but gave me a fright - you cant go anywhere without a shifter!

·
Registered
389 Posts
It does happen occasionally, I've had it happen once on another bike. Make use of that warranty them be sure to check your shifter regularly. If you are lucky to be in 1/2 gear when it happens you can limp home.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Happened to me once.

It's nothing that the turn of an 8mm wrench can't fix -- but it sure is annoying. I applied blue Loctite to mine so it wouldn't happen again. I bring an 8mm wrench on long trips for just that reason.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Happened to me once.

It's nothing that the turn of an 8mm wrench can't fix -- but it sure is annoying. I applied blue Loctite to mine so it wouldn't happen again. I bring an 8mm wrench on long trips for just that reason.
same thing happened to me last week just around the corner of my house. was making a left turn, shifting into second and thought it felt wierd, and hit the gas and was in neutral. coasted intoa gas station, got it rigged just enough to get me back home, screwed it back in, blue locktite and so far so good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts