Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My roommate was having a tough time shifting to 1st so he banged my shifter down, bending it. Looking for a replacement, but cannot find such thing on bikebandit, etc. Anyone know of a way to get a replacement lever (either OEM or aftermarket?). Bike is a 16 Street Triple R, thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,638 Posts
1. Your roommate should never again be allowed near your motorcycle. In "banging" the shifter down with enough force to bend it, he very may well have done serious damage to the internal shift mechanism. That leads to an important question: Did he bend the entire pedal, or just the toe peg. Either way he's a moron, but if it's just the toe peg, there's a fairly inexpensive fix.

2. The part you are looking for is T2081740. It's #1 in this schematic and includes the shift rod and Heim joints. Unfortunately, these guys are in the UK, and Bike Bandit excludes this part number from their website. Maybe give them a call?

https://us.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5596290/street-triple-r-from-vin-560477/gear-change-mechanism

Hermy's Triumph sells it for $115.26 If it's just the peg, a drill, a bolt and some nuts, and a bit of small rubber hose can sort things quite nicely. Or, you can take your chances trying to straighten it by slipping an appropriately sized box end wrench over the peg and very slowly and gently bending it back. If you do try this, be very careful. The peg is pot metal, it will bend and also break very easily. Best to have the drill, bolt, nuts, and rubber hose standing by, if you try this.

Reactions: RoadRash83

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah ik, he was being an idiot, just the lever is bent-not the toe peg part--the lever that's attached to the 1" toe peg, no linkage. What would I expect to experience if the internal mechanism was damaged?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems every part is out of stock, was wondering if ebay had some similar lever with the length/teeth.

·
Premium Member
8,638 Posts
Yeah ik, he was being an idiot, just the lever is bent-not the toe peg part--the lever that's attached to the 1" toe peg, no linkage. What would I expect to experience if the internal mechanism was damaged?
Any chance you can post a picture of it? I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around how the lever could bend before the toe peg. Also, let me check my spare parts bin. I swapped my rearsets for ones from a Daytona a while ago, and might still have a spare, if I didn't already send it off to someone else.

I'm no mechanic, but understand that excessive force to the shifter can result in bent shift pawls - the little bits that rotate the shift drum - or maybe even the shift forks. Those are the levers that move the dogs on the drum to engage the gears. If your bike is shifting normally, it should be fine. Also, older oil can make shifting less than snick-snick. If it's been awhile since you've changed it, swap it and your filter for new.

·
Premium Member
8,638 Posts
Crikey. With a rag, an adjustable wrench, and maybe some heat, that should straighten fairly easily.

Reactions: islandtosh

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Don’t know if your a member of triumph675.net , but some one has a Daytona left side rear set with the shifter for $10 shipped in the classifieds.
I’m almost tempted to buy just cause it’s so cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don’t know if your a member of triumph675.net , but some one has a Daytona left side rear set with the shifter for $10 shipped in the classifieds.
I’m almost tempted to buy just cause it’s so cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you think they would fit the street triple? I had just about given up on OEM options and was wondering if anyone had any luck with some generic ebay cnc parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts