Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I love my little adventurer. I am at my whitz end with the bastard bike. I was riding a mile and a half in I went to shift into second and it shut down. I pulled over hit the start button again and she fired up. Then I shifted into gear and it stalled all points go to the side stand switch but i pulled it out and it is not the issue. Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Clutch switch. It's a change over type & can cause odd behaviour when it fails. Had something similar happen on mine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there anyway to test or bypass the clutch switch? By the way you are awesome. I really appreciate your help. With out you I would be back to Japanese bikes.

·
Registered
384 Posts
adv,

Mike certainly is! He's saved my bacon on a number of occasions - especially with the Ignetech igniter. This lad is a helluva resource!

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
You can put a meter (ohms/continuity range) on the terminals & see if it switches properly.

If you haven't a wiring diagram, here's one att. (Reccommend getting at least a Haynes manual if you intend to keep the bike any length of time.)

Besides needing clutch in or neutral to enable the ground side of the starter relay (solenoid), the Igniter must get a ground input, in order to run, on one of the grey/white or green/white wires which are from the clutch/neutral combination & sidestand switches. Note, the grey/white also loops thru' the factory option alarm, if fitted.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update. Got the bike home last night. I followed the kickstand safety switch wiring to the main harness, and what did I find? Fried wiring. I cut off the damaged wire twisted the two exposed wires together, and presto no more issues.

Thank you for your help. Until next time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts