Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike is! There's been so much ridiculous **** that's happened with it and the guy who sold it to me was definitely spooked, I think he jinxed me with his bad vibes...

Enough of the cute ****...

So, I put the bolts in the stator, torque them down to 12nm, everything's fine. I do the wire bracket bolt last and on what would have been my last crank, it sheared down about 2/3's - 1/2 the way down.

I had taken the remaining 1/2 (or less), cut it back about 3 threads to so I could bear down so it wouldn't butt againt the sheared bolt, hit it with some instant cold galvanize and loctite. I put it in and it torqued to 12nm, but it seemed like it would keep spinning if I really put anything into it, which also pisses me off, but it is ON THERE!

Bad bolt? How often does that happen!?! So, now I've decided to borrow a company truck and truck my motorcycle back to Salt Lake because I'd hate to risk it.

So what do I do when I get home?

Do I try and extract the bolt? Do I drill it out, retap it, and put a bigger bolt in?

I'm so pissed right now, but I gave up throwing things a few years ago when a whole turbo ending up in some drywall, however that happened.

Anything is welcome. Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I have had to change out two bad stators and am familiar with the bolt of which you speak. The good news is that the bolt is only holding a wire clip and can be taken to the bench for repair or to a machinist if you don't want to spring for a heli kit. If the bolt will still tighten to 12 nm, I would put a heavey coat of red locktite on it, let dry overnight and go. If the bolt will NOT go 12 nm without stripping I would go up 1 bolt size or helicoil depending on which is cheaper for you.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I'm talking to dude at the local stealership and he says that "Oh, well, we don't even torque things like that to spec with a torque wrench. Even at the manufacturer suggestion, it's just too much torque sometimes and we've sheared a few off. We tighten them with a small ratchet."

I've had more fun being punched in the face than I have rebuilding this bike.

I picked up the body pieces from my guy and they look awesome. Gives me a little encouragement after this fiasco.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my vote is for heli-coiling it. that will be stronger than just drilling and tapping it bigger.

I don't think it has to be that serious. It's just pressing the stator wire down to the sidecover. That's it's only purpose. No moving parts, no active torque is being put on it. I'm sure the only reason it's even that size bolt is so that it's all uniform. I'm questioning the integrity of the other bolts actually holding the stator on.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I'm questioning the integrity of the other bolts actually holding the stator on.[/QUOTE]

Be sure and put blue locktite on those.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, guys...

Update.

So, I had trucked the bike over to a friend's house to drill out and retap. I had taken the cover off and handed it to him and something fell out of it that I thought was locktite but ended up being a broken bolt, which would make sense that it sheared off at 12nm.

We had taken it to the bench and the guy kept saying "I can't feel anything in here." and I couldn't believe it until I put it in the light and I guess it just made it's way out.

Also, the remainder of the bolt that I locktite'd into oblivion wasn't easy to get out and would have easily held the stator wire in place.

I guess that's luck for you, huh?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts