Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all my name is Willys and im a proud new owner of a 1996 trophy 900. The problem im having is i bought it not running, the guy said that he put the battery in and hooked it up backwards. He said that the bike turned over but he realized he hooked the batt. up backwards, stopped and reconnected it the right way and now it wont fire at all. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what to look for or if someone had a complete wiring diagram for the bike. Any help would be great!! Thank you and sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Hi, Willys,

Did you check the "kill switch" on the r.h. bar; and did you check the sidestand safety switch?

Just a thought from the "village idiot": Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes i have checked the kill switch and it is working properly, i havent checked the side stand switch. My concern is that the previous owner hooked the battery up backwards and tried to start it. He said that it actually turned over!?! Im wondering if that has something to do with it. I will check the side stand switch tonight. Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Is that even possible? I'm no electrical genius but I don't believe a bike will turn over with the polarity switched. May "fry" something though.
There's more ignition cut-offs on these things than I thought possible.
Ignition switch.
Kill switch
Clutch
Side-stand
In-gear
Security system
It's a wonder they start at all!:mad:)

Carry on!

·
Registered
33 Posts
fuses

hi guys .sounds daft maybe not but have you checked the fuses?
Check to see if you have a spark . my have damaged ecu/igniter.or coils may have got damaged .
if a good spark on all 3 cylinders . should fire . change plugs anyway.will have a think on this.
coils pvl . same as on bmw's/. cheaper than triumph. Nology are good .

martin trophy 1200.and 900.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i checked the side stand switch and it is working properly. I also checked the kill switch and its working right also. Im just going by what the previous owner told me, I didnt think it was possible for it to turn over either. I have put a new batt. in it properly hooked up, i have put new plugs in it also. I checked the fuses today but all are ok. I checked for spark but it doesnt have it. She turns over fine just no spark but is getting fuel. It would help out alot if i could find a wiring diagram for it. Thank you for all the suggestions and help!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Check the pick-up on the RH engine case. It has a two wires coming from it. If your right foot was on the peg it is just in front of your toes. It should ohmn at 540 (I think). It is easy to change, with minimum loss of oil if on side stand. Without this working the plugs do not know when to fire. This is a common failure item.
Mark

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hard to imagine all three coils went bad at the same time.
Igniter and the above pick-up.
I washed mine once and she didn't start for 2 days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It should ohmn at 540 (I think). Mark
Well i checked the sensor and it read .494k ohms. That seems far away from the 540 ohms, so is it possible that this is the problem? Is there anyway i can check the ignitor box? Thank you all the help!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well i checked the sensor and it read .494k ohms. That seems far away from the 540 ohms, so is it possible that this is the problem? Is there anyway i can check the ignitor box? Thank you all the help!
If you mean 0.494 kilohms, that's the same as 494 ohms. My Haynes manual says 530 +/- 10%, so in the range 477 to 583 ohms., so your 494 ohms sounds OK.

Be aware a resistance check can only tell you it's faulty, it can't tell you it's OK, so it could still be that your pickup sensor is bad.

·
Registered
348 Posts
If I remember correctly, the side stand(s/s) switch allows the engine to crank but kills the ignition. How did you check the s/s switch?
The clutch switch is the same, cranks but no spark. The kill switch stops everything.
Just hoping its not the igniter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts