Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of any resources where we can share TuneECU maps? I thought I'd start a new thread with a map I created for a 2018 765 R that mimics a booster plug but the forum is not friendly to the file types. I've seen the TuneECU repository but there doesn't seem to be a place to upload community maps, ala dynojet.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Good idea. I have a 25th generaton TT600 map that I worked very hard on and could share with people. Sharing via Google Drive or DropBox or Sync.com, etc. is not technically difficult. The problem is how to make it known and who is going to manage it.

·
Registered
2000 Speed Triple 955i
1,001 Posts
There's a section of the TuneECU site for custom maps here. It looks to still be updated since there's maps for the new rocket there.

Maybe contact the site to see how you upload your maps?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
The TuneECU library was compiled, edited and maintained by Tom Hamburg on behalf of Alain Fontaine. Freely donated and uploaded custom maps were a disaster. Very few people have the skill to create a custom map (such as one that 'mimics a booster plug') without potentially compromising the base tune. Even fewer understand the importance of documenting, cataloguing and correctly referencing such things. Testing and verifying a tune so it does no harm is a whole other thing again. I've seen the debacle caused on another Triumph forum that attempted to keep it's own library of tunes and shook my head at the number of people who couldn't even quote the proper map reference number 'it's just a typo mate, no big deal'. Aargh!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The TuneECU library was compiled, edited and maintained by Tom Hamburg on behalf of Alain Fontaine. Freely donated and uploaded custom maps were a disaster. Very few people have the skill to create a custom map such as one that 'mimics a booster plug' without compromising the base tune. Even fewer understand the importance of documenting, cataloging and correctly referencing such things. I've seen the debacle caused on another Triumph forum that attempted to keep it's own library of tunes and shook my head at the number of people who couldn't even quote the proper map reference number 'it's just a typo mate, no big deal'. Aargh!!
Not with that attitude! On a lighter note, sure, the quality of the maps would vary, but it's better to share and crowd source knowledge than just assume only an elite few are capable of adjusting fuel maps. I'm not sure about your inflection with the booster plug comment so to explain, a booster plug is a pretty minor modification that does nothing more than add 4-6% of fuel across the range. It's a nice little mod for modern FI lean burning engines. Tried it and didn't like it, great, put the factory map back in. You've otherwise saved time and money on purchasing and installing any hardware

I think in the end we end up with a repo of crowd sourced and peer reviewed maps that support common modifications we can ultimately use to tweak our bikes.

If that's not your thing, no worries, don't use them I suppose.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good idea. I have a 25th generaton TT600 map that I worked very hard on and could share with people. Sharing via Google Drive or DropBox or Sync.com, etc. is not technically difficult. The problem is how to make it known and who is going to manage it.
That's the spirit!! I'd be willing to host and maintain a thread assuming we can have a thread somewhere dedicated to linking and descriptions. I'll check with the mods to see if we can get a sticky.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would agree that version control and documentation are an almost insurmountable problem. This after having updated Triumph map 10089 30+ times. Since I'm in IT my changes were documented in a general way but only for my benefit.

With TuneECU it's better for a novice to understand some general principles. Off the top of my head: 1) start with a genuine Triumph map 2) know how to save and return to either your stock map or your "best map" 3) Make changes incrementally (a few percent at a time) and only to throttle opening and RPM ranges that are deficient. For example I never touched TT600 settings over 50% throttle. Almost all it's problems were in the 3 - 4K rpm range 4) be very careful when going leaner 5) learn the technique of mouse dragging fuel map curves to smooth out factory curves that are suboptimal and in place to pass emissions 6) when and if your mileage greatly decreases you are too rich

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I recall one instance (in the case of a Tiger 1050 map) where the unwitting 'tuner' had mistakenly transposed the % changes they had made to sections of the fueling table onto the ignition tables. He then offered it to everyone, via a forum, singing the praises of the 'remarkable increases in power everywhere in the rev range' that his unique mapping skills had wrought! Fortunately we picked it up before too many hapless TuneECU users suffered much potential damage.

Tom Hamburg put a lot of effort into vetting the custom maps submitted to him before adding them to the TuneECU custom library. Then of course there is the mess so called 'community maps' caused the Triumph populace that used TuneBoy well before TuneECU stole it's thunder but that's another story.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I recall one instance (in the case of a Tiger 1050 map) where the unwitting 'tuner' had mistakenly transposed the % changes they had made to sections of the fueling table onto the ignition tables. He then offered it to everyone, via a forum, singing the praises of the 'remarkable increases in power everywhere in the rev range' that his unique mapping skills had wrought! Fortunately we picked it up before too many hapless TuneECU users suffered much potential damage.

Tom Hamburg put a lot of effort into vetting the custom maps submitted to him before adding them to the TuneECU custom library. Then of course there is the mess so called 'community maps' caused the Triumph populace that used TuneBoy well before TuneECU stole it's thunder but that's another story.
For a guy that rides motorcycles you sure are risk averse! I'm not even sure how you can transpose fuel trim to ignition maps considering ignition maps do not have a trim table, sounds like a bit of a fable to me. In any case, a simple map compare would have prevented anyone from installing the obviously highly modified ignition tables to their bike. If you are willing to use community maps you should at least be doing your due diligence. I think people understand that the maps are very much use at your own risk, I think Tom Hamburg even posts an identical disclaimer on the maps he has indexed.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
For a guy that rides motorcycles you sure are risk averse!
Ride motorcycles? me? you've gotta be kiddin' wouldn't catch me on one of those deathtraps.
No, I ride a Vespa, but it's not just any Vespa. No sirree, mines been chipped, mapped, power commandered and booster plugged by a guy works down the chip shop swears he's Elvis who has a seat of the pants waay better than any damn dynamometer thingy operator.
Grrrrr.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts