Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*Updated photo on next page.....

Been working on the thing (again) since 3:30 in the morning (I guess I can be a little obsessive). Trying to attach a front fender with it's bent fork brace, chipping paint, and a little colorful lang'udge.

I learned that if you strap a couple straight edges across/perpendicular to your tubes, one at the top and another at the bottom; with the top pinch bolts loose as well as the "Jesus nut", you peer down the two straight edges to check for alignment, align everything, then tighten it down. If they are not parallel, then your tubes/front-end is not aligned..... possibly contributing to unwanted head shake. So I spent a good portion of the early hours putting the front-end back together and attempting to align my front end.

This is a project bike that I pushed out of the house last week after 8 months of gathering parts-is-parts, then eventually working on it's construction in the comfort of my living room . I rode it up & down the street that night and found that the front-end was off, the tach wasn't working, and the engine wasn't running 'right'....
The tach's wires were crossed, Jason was right about the carb's spitting out of the intake tubes (they were loose), and with the aid of some curtain rods, I have gone through the motions of a tubal alignment. In the reconstruction, I added some loctite, torqued things correctly and am STILL fighting with fitting of the front fairing to my satisfaction (still not satisfied).

This morning I applied some stripes to the front wheel. One set was Silver, the other Red..... I was looking to create some contrast between the dark tires and the dark (gun metal gray) wheels. The Silver didn't provide enough contrast, so I'll go with the Red..... just gotta go out in that garage and finish up on the task at hand. And then to shower, put some clothes on, and see how I did on the alignment and if that miss the engine had has been addressed.

So once again, a shameless attempt at seeking praise for my project bike turned "BonnieRed":

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2006-11-20 12:34 ]

·
Registered
859 Posts
Pat, thats beautiful! Looks fast just sitting there. I like teh red stripe on the wheel, also.

Heres what I suggest: Smaller indicators, black headers, bar end mirrors, and lose the saddlebag rails.....

Good work!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Striped up the other wheels, showered, gonna eat some left-overs from last night, use the D tool to go three turns out..... then RIDE!

I have some bar-ends, gotta figure out the bars, see how the headers Blue, then maybe someday go with the Lucas tail lamp and small indicators.

The saddlebag rails don't flatter the bike, but I hadda see what they would look like powder coated Black.... they're still conspicuous though. That's my BonnieBlack seat pictured on the bike, I still need to figure out a cool method of attaching that seat cowl (it's just set in place right now) to the seat it's meant for. If I can rig it up the way I want, the other seat is cut away and hollowed out under the cowl so I can stash tools, a bottle of Jack Daniels, cigars and a fleece.

Well, been awake since 3:30 with no food to buffer the acidic coffee what been keeping me going. Gotta eat and twist the D tool then go fer-a-spin.

TON UP BABIEEE ! ! !

:razz: :-D :cool:

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2006-11-19 12:08 ]

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Pat,keep the stripes on the rims,but lose or replace the gaitors. Also, the black "Magic Marker" that I used on my oil lines is holding up great.Maybe do the hoses black and the fittings red,or the other way around.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Almost forgot. The cowl seems to follow the seat sides pretty good.How about bending a couple straps to hook under the passenger grab strap and pop rivet them to the cowl? Maybe a small single one at the rear to hook under the seat. Tool free removal and install. :???:

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
B E A U T I F U L! :clap: :wink:
On 2006-11-19 11:02, FattRat wrote:
... This morning I applied some stripes to the front wheel.
I've been looking everywhere for those red stripes for my rims. :upthumb:
Where did you find them (I hope they are decals and not painted :???: )

·
Registered
578 Posts
A very nice bike, Pat, I can tell you've put many hours of hard effort into it. It's very original, and I like the cafe racer theme, and the bright red paint.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Look's like the fork brace has the gaitors a little bound up..( understand I'm not critisizing )....awesome job on the bike pat.

I'd like to see some shot's from different angles if you can bear the shame :)

Some black header pipes and using a marker as burner suggested on the oilfeed lines would really complete the look.

What shock's do you have on the rear?

·
Registered
196 Posts
you need to ditch the mickey mouse rear views for handle mirrors (I have the cat eyes), and get rid of those bulbous out of date lighting fixtures. (yuck)

ref:

[ This message was edited by: KingStreetRat on 2006-11-19 14:59 ]

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Pat that's one nice looking ride .... it'll be right at home on the beautiful mountain roads of California, or parked at "Bike Nite" in all it's Triumphness. Nice!

Bob

BTW - where did you find the fairing? Looks like one off a vintage R90S or R100S BMW.

[ This message was edited by: ohiorider on 2006-11-19 16:28 ]

·
Registered
913 Posts
Killer bike FattRat, keep the shameless pics coming!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Parts is parts on the BonnieRed from my photo album

You Tube "Sunday morning pass" on the BonnieRed

Bob,
The fairing is a cheap plastic fairing outa JC Whitney catalog, $60.00 I think.

SCC',
Those are Hagon Nitros in the back with corrected springs more appropriate for my 210 pounds. Up front I put weight appropriate single rate springs in some Thruxton tubes with adjustable preload. Yeah, with a little twisting I think I've helped the gaiters out a bit.... gotta keep 'em, they're old school.

JMV,
Yeppers, Red decals.... available in lotsa different colors. I got 'em off ebay from an outfit calling itself "clutchlevers" I think. The stripes come already curved and are in sections that are easy enough to apply.

Rodburner,
I can't believe how easy a mod it was to take a Black perm' marker pen to those oil lines!!! And as you suggested, that seat cowl is actually DESIGNED to be attached to the passenger strap. There is a screw that attach's the cowl to the back underside of the seat, and then they provide hardware to slip over the passenger grab strap..... it misses the mark though, and I think I can figure some'n out better.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Pat - if you're looking for narrower gaiters sometime in the future, you might explore the ones from a W650. I cannot personally confirm this, but others on this site have said they fit quite nicely. Here's a photo of my W that shows off the gaiters. I can provide the Kaw part numbers if you want them.

Bob

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Ridge - did you use the Kaw clamps to attach the W650 gaiters?

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
....been a long day, up for over 16 hours now, gonna sleep well tonight, the bike's done (for now). The W650 gaiters might streamline things a bit, but I've straightened out that crooked looking eye-sore from my first picture.

Yeah, I thought the same thing about the video....
*!DANM!*
Where'd that loud music from come?!?!
(insert eye popping icon here)
And why no thumb's up???
I was really really tired, running on steam & stupidity, couldn't think to do the "swinging" (thumbs up) sign.

I took her for an 80 mile spin this afternoon, spun her up, stopped for a Jack & water at the 40 mile mark, came home and lubed the chain, added some oil, adjusted the handlebars.... and went out for another 80 miles this evening. It runs danm good, saw the ton easily a couple times, shifts good, accelerates strong, sounds great.

But I'm falling out now, awfully tired, but still giddy with excitement over the new Bonnie, and everything hurts from fatigue. I'm calling it a day, thanks for allowing me to share my school boy excitement. As they say in the Blighty (somewhere), keep yer peckers up blokes!

G'night.
:cool:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts