Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my carbs adjusted pretty close to correct and my new muff ears fell apart internally. I changed to a new style muffler that I liked better and surprise surprise my carbs are no longer jetted right. I ended up with my Amal MK2 carbs with the left carb needle in the bottom groove and still too lean. I talked to an "old guy" and he told me to shim under the needle to enrich it a little. I have not heard about shiming like that but it appears to work. I added a .025" washer under the c-clip to raise the needle a bit and the plug chop looked a little better. Anybody know the pluses or minuses of that?

·
Premium Member
9,988 Posts
If it works, fine, but why not contact burlen (or a USA supplier) and ask what that might equate to?
Then fit a new needle of the appropriate size?

Assume this is the "standard" jetting and needles

·
Super Moderator
13,386 Posts
Once you go beyond the available notches on the slide needle, you need to go up or down on the jet. Shims are not the proper solution for jetting Amals; although this trick works on modern "nail" needles in CV carbs, TO A DEGREE.

Using shims to overcome improper jetting will not result in proper carburation across the throttle range.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts