Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I'm fairly new here so go easy :)

I picked up a 03 speed Triple about 6 months ago and absolutely love it. It has the Triumph Racing pipe and has been "chipped". Not sure on what chip though. Everything else is pretty much stock. Had 6500kms on the clock. (less than 5,000 miles for the pommy folks). I have a background in tuning, modifying and servicing high performance cars (500+hp) etc so this shouldn't be too big of a deal.

But like everything you love (cars, wives etc) they need servicing.

I have a few Questions:

Problems: its got a bit of a stutter down low in tall gears (2nd - 4th) and won't stop unless you wait it out or back off and hit it again. Does anyone know why this would be? Maybe I need new plugs?

There is this really high pitched squeak \ slight dry rubbing sound coming from the top of the engine its not that loud though. Its revs dependant. (even in neutral and clutch in) sound liek the top of the engine. Is there something I should check? My mate has an 04 model, and his doesn' do it.

Oils -

I need to change the oil and put a new oil filter on, but I'm not sure what best oil to use is. I'm not after a "what brand is better" but what weight, etc. I'd assume fully synthetic is the best also?

Air filter -

Apparently I need to remove the tank to get to the bloody filter? If this is the case, does anyone have a rough idea on how to get the tank off, and if there is anything in the way (ie Fuel pump etc). Can you get good filters for them, like a unifilter etc, or woul I be better with a paper type etc? I know some people are against "wet" or "oiled" filters.

Injectors -

I wouldn't mind having them cleaned. Are they easy to get to? Anything I should know before I take them out? Do I need to tell the guy cleaning them anything?

Tank -

While the tank is off I want to clean it. I've noticed after washing the bike, there is a build up of water around the filler, and if I open in, water goes into the tank. I think there is a little drain hole there but its probably blocked. I guess I'll hit that with the compressor. What could I used to clean the tank though?

Would methanol be okay?

Spark plugs -

I might as well change them while I have the bike apart, so what kind do you guys recommend? Coppers, Platniums, Iridiums, What heat range, and prefered brand?

Chain -

It needs to be lubed and probably tightend. What kind of lube do you think would be good? Just normal Motorcross lube, or is there a good one I need to look out for?

Apologies for all the questions, and thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Love the bike, and can't wait to get the tuneboy kit to help it run a bit better.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Welcome; the S3 will either put a grin on your face or let you know you're dead. :D

Can't really help with the stutter or the squeak, sorry.

As for oil spec, & many of your other questions, it sounds like you need a manual. Get yourself a Haynes; well worth the dosh!

Triumph factory air filters actually tend to be rather good.

Sounds like your filler drain probably is clogged.

Again, just go with factory spec on the plugs. (On my '04 RS, factory spec is dual-electrode NGK.)

Chain lube is a religious issue, just like motor oil. I use 80W90 gear oil on mine, as I like being able to apply it from a bottle instead of an aerosol can. Be very careful not to over-tighten the chain! You probably want about an inch & a half / 35-40mm slack at the loosest point, measured halfway along the bottom run with the bike on the center stand. (Yeah, I know it has no center stand. Again, buy a manual!)

I don't know that I've ever heard a bad word about the TuneBoy.

Cheers, HTH,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
The Mafia, Here we go...
"Problems: its got a bit of a stutter down low in tall gears (2nd - 4th) and won't stop unless you wait it out or back off and hit it again. Does anyone know why this would be? Maybe I need new plugs?"

There is this really high pitched squeak \ slight dry rubbing sound coming from the top of the engine its not that loud though. Its revs dependant. (even in neutral and clutch in) sound liek the top of the engine. Is there something I should check? My mate has an 04 model, and his doesn' do it."

See how it does following the tune up and oil/filter change.

"Oils -

I need to change the oil and put a new oil filter on, but I'm not sure what best oil to use is. I'm not after a "what brand is better" but what weight, etc. I'd assume fully synthetic is the best also?"

I use 15W50 Mobil1

"Air filter -

Apparently I need to remove the tank to get to the bloody filter? If this is the case, does anyone have a rough idea on how to get the tank off, and if there is anything in the way (ie Fuel pump etc). Can you get good filters for them, like a unifilter etc, or woul I be better with a paper type etc? I know some people are against "wet" or "oiled" filters."

Not that big of a deal to remove/replace the tank. Keep track of what and where the items you remove were. There's two hoses on the left side, two fuel lines and two electrical connections, IIRC. Speed density engines are less effected by wet air filters.

"Injectors -

I wouldn't mind having them cleaned. Are they easy to get to? Anything I should know before I take them out? Do I need to tell the guy cleaning them anything?"

Same as on a car and the person rebuilding should know what to do (ie. new filters). Unless it sat up for a long time, should be okey.

"Tank -

While the tank is off I want to clean it. I've noticed after washing the bike, there is a build up of water around the filler, and if I open in, water goes into the tank. I think there is a little drain hole there but its probably blocked. I guess I'll hit that with the compressor. What could I used to clean the tank though?

Would methanol be okay?"

If like the '02 and '04 D955is here it's a plastic inner and outer tank...just use soap and water. Drain is probably plugged.

"Spark plugs -

I might as well change them while I have the bike apart, so what kind do you guys recommend? Coppers, Platniums, Iridiums, What heat range, and prefered brand?"

I just used the OEM plug. Usually there's some debate on this subject similar to oils and tires.

"Chain -

It needs to be lubed and probably tightend. What kind of lube do you think would be good? Just normal Motorcross lube, or is there a good one I need to look out for?"

I use wax lube...a lesser debated topic.

Brad

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
As for oil, let's explicitly state that synthetic is the way to go. Mobil1 makes a 15w50 specifically for motorcycles. That's what I use. Don't use car oils of recent manufacture; they can cause clutch slipping. Don't use really old car oils; they'll have broken down, and the viscosity figures on the label won't be accurate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey, thanks for the heap of information everyone.

I'm going to go and get busy today.

AS for the noise I can hear in the top end, a friend of mine (who is quite knowledeable) said that it could be the cam chain or tensioner.

I', not sure how this setup works, if its auto adjustable or not etc. I'll check the owners manual and let you all know how I go.

Thanks again for all of the responses.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
problem..

Hey guys, I finally got her stripped down and I pulled a plug out...

This was the result:

Doe this mean I have a leak, or somehow water has got down the holes and corroded the plug?

THis has got me a little worried. all three holes have this slight corrosion and the coilpack seal rubbers are a little worn.

After taking the plug out and seeing this, I grabbed a vacuum cleaner and sucked the hole dry of this loose corrosion. Before I took the plug out I hit it with te compressor to get rid of anything that may have fallen into the cylinder anyway.

Also, what would be a good way of cleaning out the holes? There is corrision around the spark plug seats.

Maybe a little bit of petrol and a paintbrush, then blown out with a air compressor or suck with a vacuum?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
The Mafia, I've found a smear of grease around the coil base helps a bit with water, but somehow I always find a fine silt inside the deep plug wells of any engine so equipped.

I don't know about your S3, but the '02> Daytonas have a rubber shield that lays on the cam cover that helps keep water out, at least a little.

Brad

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
hi again guys. Finished my service. Bike runs really good, no more dead spots, lots more torque, and has better throttle response.

Thanks for the advice Brad, but I got something a little better (and smeared some boating grease on it.) I went into the local Triumph dealer, and one of the bright young lads picked up on me only buying 3 plugs (don't think there are any other bikes superior enough to have 3 cylinders :p), and noticed the corrosion.

He sold me these little rubber mushrooms ($7au each) that are far superior than the original ones, and said that they change them on every speed triple that has the water seal problem.

Here is a picture.

One thing though, I noticed nothing was hooked upto this on the fuel tank. Is this normal?

If anyone knows what it is, let me know. Bike runs fine without anything hooked up to it.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
The Mafia, The item circled is the fuel pressure regulator. The '02 and later engines won't have anything connected to it.

The seals are a good tip for all, thanks.

Brad

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
What is it?

The item you have circled in the picture is the fuel pressure regulator. The port supplies reference atmospheric pressure. Some models in certain markets (depending on emission regulations) appear to have them left open to ambient air pressure and some are plumbed into the airbox, which might make sense on a model with ram air (because the airbox could be slightly pressurized). A shop manual should provide the correct routing for your model and market.

Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts