Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my Thruxton 12K miles service done, with Jack Liley of Triumph! With 2 Bridgestone tyres, total cost £770, sweet baby Jesus, I nearly fell over.At least Dick Turpin wore a mask!
I could buy a bike for that!!!

Does anyone know of anybody in the London area, outside Triumph that has all the kit and resources to carry out future servicing (repuably, with a good history), because I can't afford to do this next time.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
You can do it yourself even under a tarp outside. As far as tyres, pull off the wheels yourself and bring into a shop. If you don't want to pay the piper, learn to work on your bike. No help for a cheaper shop though.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
'You can do it yourself'

I am cabable, done simple mods already, I.e. indicators, tail light, oil pressure gague etc. I have a T140, and work on that, but when it comes to efi and mapping, wouldn't touch!

Just would like the option of going to someone a lot cheaper, who could carry out future work.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Unless your modifing things you shouln't need to remap. Normal maintamce is just the same as the carb version. Well, tank removal is different but no harder.

Even Remapping isn't that hard if you follow the procedure on the TTP (Triumph Twin Power) website.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers plodalong, I will look the site up.

But if anyone knows of someone in the London area, it would be appreciated!

·
Registered
658 Posts
The 12k service involves a valve inspect/adjust. That's where your money went. 5-6 hours labor for the 12k. Plus the service kit is about 200usd and tires and tube... Sounds like a fair price for that service

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
The major services are a killer but I do all the minor bits myself. You never get over the pain over the valve clearance / shims service. It is the only thing that I can't (don't feel confident in) doing myself.

A good man knows his limitations. :eek:

I even know Jack Lilley is expensive and I am in Oz!

·
Registered
658 Posts
The major services are a killer but I do all the minor bits myself. You never get over the pain over the valve clearance / shims service. It is the only thing that I can't (don't feel confident in) doing myself.

A good man knows his limitations. :eek:

I even know Jack Lilley is expensive and I am in Oz!
That is something to think about, just having them to valve inspect and you do the rest will save you some coin for sure.

·
Registered
488 Posts
From experience over the years with both automobiles and motorcycles, I would learn at least how to check the valves yourself. If out of spec., then have a shop do it if you must. I say this because over half the time a shop was to check/adjust my valves they never took the valve cover off though they charged me for the service. If the valves are in speck the first time you look at them, you most likely will never have to adjust them again (unless you have a pushrod/rocker system, or never change your oil and otherwise abuse the bike).

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 12k service involves a valve inspect/adjust. That's where your money went. 5-6 hours labor for the 12k. Plus the service kit is about 200usd and tires and tube... Sounds like a fair price for that service
Know they checked valve shims etc, I can normally get my diesel van serviced with tyres for around £500, but you could of knocked me over with a feather when he handed me the bill.:eek:

Always felt more confident with my T140, doing servicing, tappets etc, until I over stretched myself and did a re-bore and it never ran quite the same, ended up seizing it and its been left in that state for over 10 years. So I tend to back off when it comes to servicing, leaving it to the professionals.

Have to see what finances are like come next service, it might force my hand, end up doing it myself.
Biggsy

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
It is the overstretching part that I take my lesson from. I replaced my wife's 1953 Morris Minor head gasket 3 times before taking it to someone that knew what the were looking at.

My father always used to say "learn from the mistakes of others as you don't have enough time to make them all yourself."

I would be fine if I could sit behind somebody doing a valve shim job but I still wouldn't necessarily know what I am looking for if it is a fault/broken/worn etc................. and I trust my workshop to do the job. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts