Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

Would like some general advice.
My triple is out of warranty (just) and its 12k service is up.
I can do most of the work need and to be quite honest I am looking forward to it
but do NOT want to check my engine tolerances and shim if ness.

My triumph guys who are truly excellent are truly expensive, they want £450-500 to complete, fluids and anything extra.
I have used them in two insurance claims ( third party) and they have done a really fantastic job, however...

My local garage, non branded but helpfull guys will do the job at £160 ( 3 hours labour ) plus a £5 for every shim plus fluids.

This seems like a no brainer except I will not have my stamp in my book.
What are your thoughts. What would you do. Money is by the way in rather short supply with the recession and everything.
Cheers

·
Registered
657 Posts
As you say - it is out of warranty... Why do you need a stamp in the book? For resale? I don't think any serious buyer will be turned off by the lack of it.
Even for warranty, they cannot refuse claim just because you do not have the stamp. Save your money.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi,
I'm in a similar position and just purchased an '05 1050. It was serviced by the dealer (not Triumph), but I'm not confident they checked the valve clearance (no evidence of engine work), and to be honest I'd feel better checking anything critical (and achievable) myself.

I'm fairly comfortable with most mechanicals and have a copy of the service manual.
I'd appreciate advice from those in the know on whether the valve check and any adjustment is a difficult job?

Many thanks for any info.

Cheers

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input guys,
Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts