Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Speedy used with 1000 km on it in Mar 09.
I know the 1 year service was done on it and they did a thorough inspection and fluid change when I purchased it.

I'm not sure if the service intervals are the same as the 2005 but the 2005 manual that I downloaded says that 2 years (20000km) is the next service interval. I have the remainder of the factory warranty until June 2010.

Should I bring the bike to a dealer to have the next service done? The 2 year will be due right as the warranty is coming up.

The reason I ask is I have a very good mechanic who has been working on my previous bikes for a long time and he has much better prices than the dealer. Unless the dealer finds some huge problem that is covered by the warranty the amount I save in labour alone could pay for whatever small things are need during the service e.g. oil or other fluids, etc.

this is my first bike that actually had a warranty left so I'm just not sure what the best course of action is.
thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Maybe your warranty is better than mine, but services are not covered. I have to pay for them, and if you do as well take the bike to your trusted guy. If he finds something wrong, you can take it to the dealer for the warranty work. If he is worth his salt he would not be upset about you taking it to the dealership for the warranty work, and it sounds like you would be able to trust that he is telling you the truth.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe your warranty is better than mine, but services are not covered. I have to pay for them, and if you do as well take the bike to your trusted guy. If he finds something wrong, you can take it to the dealer for the warranty work. If he is worth his salt he would not be upset about you taking it to the dealership for the warranty work, and it sounds like you would be able to trust that he is telling you the truth.
thanks that sounds like a good plan. the guy I've been using has consistently "under" sold me on things I thought I needed in the past so I know I can trust him to just do what is needed and let me know what could be covered by my warranty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts