Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am not really a new member - just away from normal computer and could not remember log on details (normally known as Carn).
I was having a great ride today and had just gone down the Mount Victoria pass west of Sydney at a fair clip and had just got onto a straight bit of road when the lower pivotal arm that the shock absorber attaches to snapped at the back pivot dropping the bike nearly onto the wheel. Was only stopped by one of the coils hitting the swing arm.
This bike is only 18 months old (19,000 kms). I feel that if this had happened whilst getting stuck into a bend 150 metres back, I might well and truly be dead!
Is this a weak point that I was not aware of?
I want to take the back wheel off to get the 'arm' out and replace, but I cannot find a spanner big enough to take of the wheel nut off!

Bloody Hell!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Ken, there's a recall on the drag link because of similar (but according to T rare) incidents. I think you will find it is the bolt that failed rather than the link arm. Your bike should've had this recall done already, you can look up your VIN number on the Triumph site to see if there are any outstanding recalls. We would all be very interested in pics and follow up.
Mick.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the offer of the socket Mick - I might wait until Monday and see if this is a warranty thing as the bike is only 18 months old.
Then I will just have to get it down to Sydney to Triumph dealer.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Greetings...

It is under warranty - only today a mate of mine with an 08 Sprint ST dropped his in for it to be done under warranty.

The exact same failure occurred to my 07 Sprint ST - two weeks after the warranty expired. The dealer AJ's of Shepparton were excellent and pushed Triumph Australia to honour it under warranty as it an known issue. They came to the party, and now all is fixed.

Cheers,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Greetings...

It is under warranty - only today a mate of mine with an 08 Sprint ST dropped his in for it to be done under warranty.

The exact same failure occurred to my 07 Sprint ST - two weeks after the warranty expired. The dealer AJ's of Shepparton were excellent and pushed Triumph Australia to honour it under warranty as it an known issue. They came to the party, and now all is fixed.

Cheers,
Good one, will ring first thing Monday. Do you happen to know the correct name for this failed part?

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Isn't a rear linkage or drag bolt (but what do I know:D)

all they did on the recall for mine, was take it out, visually inspect it, then grease it up and replace it back in, no new part, so lets hope the fracture is THAT obvious, if it is going to happen.

Oh and glad you're ok Carn / Kenoath:D:D

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Isn't a rear linkage or drag bolt (but what do I know:D)

all they did on the recall for mine, was take it out, visually inspect it, then grease it up and replace it back in, no new part, so lets hope the fracture is THAT obvious, if it is going to happen.
IIRC, there were at least two recalls. The early one replaced parts. I know that for a fact because the replacement bushings were distinctively marked, and I have my old parts. I do not know what the later recall(s) did.

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Lucky lad Carn. Glad it happened at the right spot in the road..

·
Registered
764 Posts
Thanks Kenoath for posting that up. I haven't seen that one before.:eek:

Check the surrounding parts for damage and hit Triumph up for those as well including the swingarm. Make sure that they repack all of the linkage bearings with grease when they reassemble.

Glad you're OK. That's freakin' scary.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Make sure that they repack all of the linkage bearings with grease when they reassemble.
Yes insist on it. My linkage bearings siezed when the bike was just out of warranty. Upon disassembly it was obvious the bearings had not been lubricated enough (or with the right lubricant) at the Triumph factory.

Failure of a part such as that seems life-threatening to me. It should justify a recall on its own if there have been more than one or two worldwide. The only recall I've seen for the rear suspension involved replacing a bolt and some bearings. Of course the bearings they replaced in the recall were not the ones that siezed on me later!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Good one, will ring first thing Monday. Do you happen to know the correct name for this failed part?
That would be your 'drag link'. (Thanks www.bikebandit.com)

This really gives me peace of mind for Monday's track day given that this still appears to be an issue on recent production (I did just visually inspect my '05 which has the update)......

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
MickSprint06 and others are correct that the recalls were for the bolts and not the drag link itself. Sorry for misleading the forum.

I think this is going to get interesting as it gets sorted out. I Googled to see if there were any other reports of link failures reported elsewhere and got nothing. I expect Triumph will be rightfully watched closely by the forum on this one.

In the interim it would not be a bad idea for members to do a quick visual inspection themselves for signs of stress on the link. I just did mine and had a bit of a start because I thought I could see a hair line crack in a radius on the link. After using a 10x glass and a strong light, I determined it was a machining mark. Often, such defects can be stress risers but, considering the miles on my bike, this must not be the case.

I can't help but think that the link failure is still related to the bolt to link interfaces in some manner. If the link is free to pivot as designed, there should be minimum levels of stress on it and that stress would mainly be compression. If some mode of interface failure occurred, there would be a possibility of the link seeing a bending moment, or even the end of the shock contacting it. Just my quick opinion.

I hope kenoath gets a quick resolution and keeps us informed.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
You know whats bloody odd is that the recall is for 05 to 08 bikes and the recall came out before the 08 bikes hit the showroom floor. So in essence Triumph didn't even do the recall on their own bikes before they left the factory.

Also the recall is for the bolt BUT may include the bearings and surrounding parts. On my 05 when they did the recall they replaced a ton of stuff including the bearings and bolts.

One has to wonder if the bolt breaks and the bearings are bad if the downward pressure would be enough to do this. All in all it is a pretty serious recall and I am going to bet that Triumph will blame that recall on this failure.

I am dang glad no one got hurt with this happening because that is a major failure.

I also support OnD's comment for everyone to A) get the recall done! and B) check you machines for any hairline cracks or stress fractures.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Look everybody, Carn has a lowrider! :D So that's how you're lowering the Sprint.

Seriously, glad you are ok, could have been real bad. First time I seen a failure like that. Is that part a cast or milled metal?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts