Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SERIOUS help needed (engine problems after pulling plugs)

Today, with an hour to waste, decided I was going to pull and check my plugs. I removed the gas tank to do so (pulling the 2 hoses and turning off the petcock-no biggie). Pulled the plugs and checked the gaps(everything fine), wiped them off and put them back in. Plugs are fine...

Start the bike and expect everything to be normal BUT IT'S NOT! It sounds like the bike is revving at high levels, making a whining noise! With choke in, I'm at 1,000krpm as I should be. Pulling out in even the slightest disrupts everything and revving jumps significantly. The headers get hot instantly.

What the hell happened? Seems like the bike is firing on both cylinders! I'm afraid that if I leave it running it might explode. Carbs flooded? Running on one cylinder?

Anyone have a similar experience? I've done all this before with no issues... :(

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm going to add that when I start it up and blip the throttle, I almost hear a sound I would assume to be misfiring; it sputters and almost stalls.

You should see me outside my house with flashlight in hand trying to figure this out. Pathetic.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Check your throttle cables. You may have moved something when you pulled the tank off and replaced it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Check the large air hose on top of filter box, may not be pushed in all the way, it goes under the tank and connects at the vac pump, check that end too, check all vacum connections. you could have knocked one off during tank r&r.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't get it. Drained carbs, that didn't help. Checked connections, no luck. I don't think that it's the throttle cable, everything seems OK at both ends.

Sounds like a freaking crotch rocket when I blip the throttle, really weird... like it would redline easily.

I can't ride it anywhere to get checked out. Ahhhhh!

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Do you still have the AI system? The whining sound makes me think you disconnected something and they're sucking ambient air all the time.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually not a dumb suggestion, I did forget to turn it back on at first.

Sounds like there is a spitting sound in the right carb (which earlier I was mistaking for "misfiring"). I might pull the bowl and see if the jet is clogged and float height.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I would take the tankoff again and redo the entire job. Remove and reattach the hoses. Check the fuel. These engines rev up from idle when they go lean.

Also - check that you actually have the plugs in snug. My socket gets stuck agaist the cylinder head and feels like the plug is getting tight when they are actually loose.

·
Registered
76 Posts
What Sal said and pull the plugs, you may have dropped one on the head while attemping to insert and unknowingly mashed the electrode closed, regap the plugs.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Strangest thing I ever seen/heard!

I'm going to take your advice and take the tank off and start over. Hopefully that will settle everything.

I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, today I took the tank back off, checked ALL hoses. Removed float bowls and checked float height/jets. Put everything back together. Started right up and was acting completely normal!

Well, 1/4 mile from my house it started again. A lot of popping from right side muffler and SURGING. Bike acting powerful but completely strange and unhealthy. I pulled right in my drive and turned it off. Black smoke coming from right side muffler. Completely backfired when I started it again to showing a friend.

What the HELL?!

I will admit this time that I did not pull and check the plugs (I have limited tools-pathetic, right?). I'm hoping that I just cracked the ceramic insulator on that plug when reinstalling last time... Would that be a cause to all this trouble?

If so, what spark plugs are compatible? I'm close to Auto zone, napa, Carquest...

HELP!

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Just a suggestion and probably not the problem, but I had a similar sounding problem a while back and turned out to be a problem with the spark plug lead and cap. Result one cylinder was not firing.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a suggestion and probably not the problem, but I had a similar sounding problem a while back and turned out to be a problem with the spark plug lead and cap. Result one cylinder was not firing.
Did you replace the cap or just the plug alone? I really think that the plug could be the root of the problem.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Mine turned out to be a loose cap. I didn't replace the plug. The cap turned out to be the problem. I made sure the connection between the cap and plug was good and the problem was gone and has never returned.

Others will know better than me, but I think if you have a problem with your plug, cap or lead it will result in something very similar to what you're experiencing. If you're confident the plug is ok, check the cap and the lead. It maybe as simple as an ill fitting cap.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wish I had time! No car so parts store is only accessible by bicycle. No time in between work/school!

I'm going to try to go today, if not then tomorrow. I'm going to call ahead, hopefully one of them will have the ngk deals.

Thanks for the support guys. I'll report back soon.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have no advice about how to get the engine running well again, but I do have some advice about running it when it's not well. If you're losing spark on a cylinder, if you run it long enough like that, you stand a chance of soaking the silencer packing with unburned fuel and eventually igniting it. Your silencer will turn pretty colors, just like your headers.

Ask me how I know.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts