Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2003 speed triple with 11,700 miles on the speedo and a few upgrades....actually I stole it(for 3300). The bike has been running great and I have put about 300 miles on it since I picked it up on Tuesday. The only problem I have had is with the gas indicator light. The first day that I took it out for a ride the bike died at a stop light...I had run out of gas. When the bike died the oil light also came on though so I was kind of worried. Luckily I was 300 feet away from a gas station so I just rolled it over there. I filled the gas tank up and topped the oil off(just in case) and started it back up and I was running fine. I have not had any mechanical problems with the bike yet and the oil level has stayed true but every time I turn the key now the gas light comes on and the low oil light flashes. As soon as start the bike both disappear. The only reason I am posting this is because when I first got the bike neither one of these indicators would show up when I turned the key.

Is this just a normal starting procedure for the bike or is there something I should be looking at? This is the first triumph that I have owned so I am not really sure what to look for. Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
22,199 Posts
Oil light will always come on when the ignition is on, bike not running. It's an oil pressure light, not a level light. You don't want to overfill it - it will just end up in your airbox.
It's odd that you had no fuel level light on before it ran out completely - if there is a problem with the sensor you will typically get an MIL (aka check engine light).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot. That is what I thought but I wanted to be sure. I am leaving in a week for a month long 2000 mile road trip and I want to be in good condition before I head out. The guy I had bought the bike from had it serviced just a couple hundred miles ago and it has new tires, brakes, and fluid...I just wanted to make sure everything else is working properly. Any suggestions on a good chain oil? I hear that cod liver oil is good.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oil light will always come on when the ignition is on, bike not running. It's an oil pressure light, not a level light. You don't want to overfill it - it will just end up in your airbox.
It's odd that you had no fuel level light on before it ran out completely - if there is a problem with the sensor you will typically get an MIL (aka check engine light).
I know that the check engine light and oil pressure light are supposed to come on when I turn the key, but I also get the flashing oil can on my screen right next to the engine temperature readout.

As far as the fuel light goes it is possible that it could have been on right before it ran out of gas...I was too consumed with my new bike to pay enough attention. What I am saying though is that when I got the bike the fuel level light did not come on when I turned the key(before I start it) and now when I turn the key it comes on every time until I actually start the bike. I also have no check engine light when I do start the bike.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The guy I had bought the bike from had it serviced just a couple hundred miles ago and it has new tires, brakes, and fluid...I just wanted to make sure everything else is working properly. Any suggestions on a good chain oil? I hear that cod liver oil is good.
Since it was recently serviced, check the electrical connector (fuel warning) under the tank and make sure it is fastened. You can access it from the left side of the bike.
Here is a link for chain lube. Good stuff.
http://www.spoiledbiker.com/origcnlube.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.