Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is looked down upon or not here, but I could use a bit of help.

The time has come to part with the T150V that I rebuilt last year. Selling it after rebuilding it was always my intent although I'll admit that I have become very fond of it!

Yes, I know this is the worst time of the year to sell...

First question- Where to list? I've listed it on craigslist and the local wantads, and most recently on Walnecks. Only two hits in the past three weeks- only one seems seriously interested. Where else can I list that would find the right crowd? Ebay scares me a bit as I don't think I'll get the most money on there and I think I'll end up with some deadbeat bidders as well. Shipping the bike doesn't appeal to me either.

Second question- Price Point. Most of you know are familar with the bike and maybe even what the rebuild entailed. Its a 1972 Trident T150V which has pretty much been gone over bottom to top. There's a few flaws with it and its not restored to original. I've always realized I won't get what I put into it but i did spend over $8k on the project. What do you think is a realistic selling price for this time of the year if I can find somebody that is truely interested? Should I jump on an offer for $5k or wait out hoping somebody will offer $1k more? Keep the pile of spares to sell separately or throw them in the deal?

Thanks guys- its time to move to the next project!

·
Registered
18 Posts
While I am new to the Triumph market and do not know the price range, I have bought and sold a bunch. Typically I would sell the parts separate. You will not get the value for them and parts cause the buyer to think of repairs, damage, etc. The bike buyer is looking at the bike and thinks of the parts as free money but the deal does not hinge on it.

Keep the bike deal clean and straight forward.

Better to sell the parts off and have room to negotiate on the bike....

·
Super Moderator
12,577 Posts
Not only is it the wrong time of year to sell, it's the wrong YEAR! It's been a buyer's market for a few years.

What you DO have, is the Bator auction at barber's in Birmingham, AL next weekend. There will be a few deep-pocketed buyers there, and you at least have a FAIR chance of getting near the top end of the market value. Sadly, I don't think it'll be what you have into it.

Definitely sell the spares on e-bay.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Unfortunately, this is the risk you take when you make something "custom". It narrows down the market significantly. This is true for pretty much all vehicles. Just take a look at hotrod prices. Those guys truly lose their shirts on cars they have built or worse, have had built for them.

I think Spring is going to be your best bet. Another possibility is working thru a local dealer. Yeah, he'll get a piece of the action, but he's probably get top dollar as well. I know a Honda dealer that makes most of his money on used bikes because the margin on new bikes is pretty slim these days. He buys as many used bikes as he can in the fall when prices are down and then never had enough in the spring when the buying frenzy kicks in. So, you could either sit on the bike yourself until spring or see if a dealer is interested in buying or consigning your bike. It is a very nice looking bike so couple that will showroom floor making the juices flow and it should go fast.

Not sure if my friend is interested in Brit bikes. But if you want to talk to him, PM me and I'll give you his contact info.

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it's sold. I listed it on eBay with a hidden reserve and by auction end I only had a high bid if $4,050 which was lower than the reserve.

A nice guy contacted me after the auction and offered me $6k so after some thought I took the offer and he's sent me a deposit.

I'm happy, and he's happy so all is well! I hate to see it go but it was a fun project and I learned so much while doing it.

Now I just have to finish this 76 kz400 cafe project, start and finish the 75 z1 project, then I can finally get back into British iron and do the 64 triumph!

Thanks again for the help on the bike guys, ill still be lurking around the site.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't break even no, but i knew I wouldn't. I spent over $8k...

But if you take into account the amount of money I didn't spend but going to the bars or anything else while I was in the garage, maybe I would have broken even!

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Congrats on selling the bike, Travis. I think the market is still pretty soft. I think you did pretty good given that it was not a stock resto.

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
884 Posts
Didn't break even no, but i knew I wouldn't. I spent over $8k...

But if you take into account the amount of money I didn't spend but going to the bars or anything else while I was in the garage, maybe I would have broken even!
Travis,

Good on you! No amount of money can replace the gratification of doing what you did to YOUR Trident. I think you did real good. Don't be a stranger.

dale

1 - 10 of 10 Posts