Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as much as I hate it I’m selling my bike. It has been a pleasure to be part of this forum and to converse with you all. But the service department at my local dealership says I have to live with the birds chirping in my bike… little did I know that they could not and apparently don’t care to correct this problem.

So I will pass this problem on to another person who will then probably be as discouraged as I am, and Triumph will have two more dissatisfied customers. And the company execs will sit in their cozies offices wondering why their bikes aren’t selling; they’ll probably blame it on the economy.

Happy riding to you. Maybe the next time I see you I’ll be riding an American made bike!!! I wonder if HD has bikes that don’t chirp? :)

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Have you tried to call Triumph directly?

If have only been talking to the dealer, you haven't even given "the company execs" a chance to remedy the situation.

Not to mention the issue of passing along those problems to someone else.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
"next time I see you I’ll be riding an American made bike!!! I wonder if HD has bikes that don’t chirp?"

Guess you will have to go get you a new pirate outfit at the Harley store while your there picking up the Hog. Good luck w/ the Harley. Bye, bye.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Two things to try...

Have you been going to just the one dealer? Like most things in life, there are good ones, and bad ones... I'd be looking for an expert second opinion or another dealer if I were you. Also, BigAl8295 is right: if you're dissatisfied with your local dealer, pick up the phone and express that to Triumph USA. Otherwise, your complaint will never reach them, and your problem will become someone else's. I've dealt with Triumph USA a few times, and have found them to be extremely helpful, responsive, and gracious. Give them a try before you bail on the brand; it's only fair. If you still don't get a satisfactory resolution, then you're completely justified in "leaving the fold". If corporate receives enough negative feedback on your local dealer, they may terminate the dealer's franchise agreement; an uncooperative dealer doesn't serve Triumph's interests either! OK, I'm done; vaya con Dios...

·
Registered
733 Posts
Easy Big Fella...

fWms, How many miles do you have on your bike? Are you running synthetic or regular oil? Is it even broken in yet?
My '08 T-100 seemed pretty "whiny" and /or "chirpy" to me when I first got it. I attributed some of the noise to new parts wearing in and found the more miles I put on it, the more the noises seemed to dissipate. After a full synthetic oil change and a 350 mile trip, it seemed much better. Another 3,000 miles, some TORS and another sump of synthetic along with some prudent thrashing seems to have completed the break-in nicely and I hardly notice the noises I once heard.
With all due respect (and speaking as one who has passed the half-century mark) is it possible that some hearing problem has exacerbated the problem? I have found that over the years, my exposure to loud noises has attenuated certain frequencies and amplified others.
I agree with the others on this forum about at least getting a second opinion before doing something you may regret.
If possible, see if there's a local "British Bike Night" you can attend.
I have gleaned a lot of useful knowledge and considered some of their opinions as to what's normal and what is not.
Who knows? You may even make a new friend or two.
Don't give up on the Speedmaster just yet.

·
Registered
78 Posts
RIP Triumph Owner

I know how you feel, because I have been there. My 01 Tbird cut out after 6500rpm
after I bought it, the dealer didnt want to help me. I found a mouse den in my air box and
fixed it, but without some time and frustration. My 96 Daytona 1200 Purchased from
an authorized Triumph Dealer, Capital Area Triumph is a complete lemon with a rusted
tank and much work to be done. I have contacted Triumph of North America and may
seek legal action (on the 96 Daytona). Properly sorted out they are great bikes,
but as we all know quality service is what sells. My 99 Bandit 1200 has been bullitproof.
I purchased it from an individual. I may not buy a Triumph from a dealer again.

My sympathies are with you

Well, as much as I hate it I’m selling my bike. It has been a pleasure to be part of this forum and to converse with you all. But the service department at my local dealership says I have to live with the birds chirping in my bike… little did I know that they could not and apparently don’t care to correct this problem.

So I will pass this problem on to another person who will then probably be as discouraged as I am, and Triumph will have two more dissatisfied customers. And the company execs will sit in their cozies offices wondering why their bikes aren’t selling; they’ll probably blame it on the economy.

Happy riding to you. Maybe the next time I see you I’ll be riding an American made bike!!! I wonder if HD has bikes that don’t chirp? :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you tried to call Triumph directly?

If have only been talking to the dealer, you haven't even given "the company execs" a chance to remedy the situation.

Not to mention the issue of passing along those problems to someone else.
I guess I should have mentioned that I received a survey from Triumph. In there I told them of my problems. The survey mentioned that my response would be forwarded to the triumph USA… No response from anyone.

I tried telling the sales person (yea, right). I sat at the service mgr's desk doing every thing but banging my fist on his desk. I even called the dealership owner, who was not in but, I was told he would get right back to me... no responce.

And as far as trying another service department, the nearest dealer is 90 miles away.

Years ago service was giving with a smile and a guaranty that if your not satisfied bring it back and we’ll fix it. And they did because they wanted to stay in business. Today you’re told that "the computer can’t find a problem so you must be mistaken". :eek:

As for the passing on issue, hopefully the next person will hear and not buy until the problem is fixed.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
You filled out a survey and didn't hear back? Are you kidding me?
That stuff goes to a subcontractor and the data is compiled then given to corporate. Nobody that can help you read it.

Why are you afraid to call Triumph corporate?

If you are right then just call them and give them a chance to fix the problem!

Customer Service: (678) 854-2010, extension 2064

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Trade it in and get a different bike. Then you'll be happy.

Or, see a different mechanic for repairs. It doesn't have to be a Triumph dealer. Any good wrench will do.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
And as far as trying another service department, the nearest dealer is 90 miles away.
I had a serious problem with a new leftover, didn't have confidence in the 3 local dealers so I hauled it across 3 states to a dealer 130 miles away.
Two weeks later problem solved, warantee claim filed and the bike was like it should have been from day one.

So it's all in the dealer you find with and his mechanics.

I'd ask around to find the best one in driving distance and make the trip before giving up, even if for nothing more than not pass on your disappointment to an unsuspecting buyer.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
If a chirp gives you grief I'll suggest that you stay very far away from Harleys. There's more grinding, mashing and shaking going on inside these motors than you'd ever believe. But that's what we love about them. I'll offer, if you want smooth and quiet and a total lack of character, go to any Japanese bike.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Poor ownership experience?

I love my bike but it's kinda got a special history...I love Triumph but I repeatedly here of these bad experiences...I was a bit put off when I "stopped in" to Triumph U.S. (Georgia) let's all get together and WRITE TO THE FACTORY!!! with our concerns. Heck I've sold more Triumphs than the goofballs in Georgia! When I inherited the old girl a lot of riders told me that my local(ist) dealer was a [email protected]#$%-hole, yet I swear Canandaigua Motor Sports has treated me better than the dealership my friend's dad owns ( non-Triumph ). Evey RUBBIE owns a HARDLY EVERRIDDEN LETS GO OUR OWN WAY!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Have you tried contacting Peter Calero at Triumph in Newman, GA?

His number is: (678) 854-2010, extension 2064. He has been really helpful on getting results on Rocket III's, I wouldn't give up on your bike till you've told him about your problem and heard what he has to say first. If no satisfaction at least you can say you tried and Triumph will have one less customer.

Dennis

22 dtg Dubai
23 dtg Home

1 - 14 of 14 Posts