Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aaarrggh I have a problemo.
Just spotted a virtually brand new Triton - '74 handbuilt Triumph unit twin motor in a Norton slimline frame built by the best Unity Equipe - to sum up the dogs bollocks. All virtually brand new, stunning engineering and the looks to go with it.
However just bought an 09 Thrux - which is great, goes well, handles well, sounds good, looks great, is utterly reliable and I love it but..........well, should I buy the Triton which is believe me, better than anything I have seen albeit 35 years old or should I keep my Thrux and ride without that 70s feeling and sound.........in other words sell the 09 Thrux...........no space in the garage and wife that is not supportive .....know what I mean?......aaarrrggghhh...help

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Longjohns my thoughts too, but as Sweat says one would have to maintain these machines yet as you say, basically one ought to have both. I agree with you, we should have the right to have both, it should be up there with liberty fraternity and egality.

·
Registered
249 Posts
if you are pretty mechanically inclined id get a manual for the engine then go from there. do lots of research and keep up on the preventative maintenence. its very hard to find a bike like that around my parts.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'd say it depends on your riding. Do you use the Thruxton as your daily affair? Or do you tend to drive most of the place? A bike like that Triton is absolutely stunning, far beyond the average measure, and built by UE really does mean something to all of it concerned.

But the Thruxton you can take anywhere and everywhere and walk away from with little worry. It's the joys of having your modern classic. It isn't so rare that you have to worry as much about it being nicked, or bumped, or random blokes coming over and sitting on it while you aren't around...

I'd have trouble riding a bike as beautiful as that Triton the way I ride any of my bikes, the '73 Tiger, and my '73/67 Triton included.

Simplicity though, I'd sell the Thruxton and buy the Triton in a heartbeat - but it would cost me piece of mind.

·
Vendor
2,337 Posts
That sure is a beautiful looking Triton.

But it really depends on what sort of rider you are. If you ride your Thrux like you stole it, best stick with your Thrux. If you bought the Triton and rode it like that as Sweat says you'd better be bloody good with the spanners, because every other weekend you'd be wrenching rather than riding. If you generally ride much slower and don't use revs much then it would last longer between wrenching sessions.

Now if you can find a Triton with a Hinckley Bonnie engine.....

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I've been riding and maintaining my '68 Bonneville for over 40 years, and also have TWO 66 Bonnevilles. They really aren't that much work to maintain, especially once the electrical gremlins have been exorcised. I'd sell one of my '07 Bonnies in a heartbeat for the Triton.

Dick

·
Registered
623 Posts
Aaarrggh I have a problemo.
Just spotted a virtually brand new Triton - '74 handbuilt Triumph unit twin motor in a Norton slimline frame built by the best Unity Equipe - to sum up the dogs bollocks. All virtually brand new, stunning engineering and the looks to go with it.
However just bought an 09 Thrux - which is great, goes well, handles well, sounds good, looks great, is utterly reliable and I love it but..........well, should I buy the Triton which is believe me, better than anything I have seen albeit 35 years old or should I keep my Thrux and ride without that 70s feeling and sound.........in other words sell the 09 Thrux...........no space in the garage and wife that is not supportive .....know what I mean?......aaarrrggghhh...help

You can find a Thruxton any day.
A Triton like that one, its unique!
Not a brainer!
Go for it!

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Tough choice indeed. The Triton is spectacular, but might be too rare/valuable to ride everyday. The Thrux is an everyday ride proposition. If you can afford both, why not get the Triton and see what the future holds?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Get the one that makes you heart race the fastest - the most often.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think it comes down to how you use your current bike. Is it your only mode of transportation?
If so, you need something reliable so keep the Thrux.
If you have another bike or car available to you, go for the Triton.

I have a car...so I'd have the Triton to go with it!!! :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've only had a short, six year career with bikes; and I started at age 58. Before that, never thought about them much. It was when I was walking out of a restaurant and past a dealer that I just happened to glance sideways and saw a new Bonneville. I thought "now that's a real motorcycle". After some agonizing, I bought it. Made the mistake a couple years later of trading for some other bikes, and now I'm thinking of rebuying one.

So, my approach is pretty basic, I go with what looks good as long as it runs and handles ok. And I love working on them, so the foibles of a vintage type would actually be a plus for me.

If the picture is any indication, that Triton you have in mind must look fabulous. That's the reason I'd get it. How much time have you got to come across another? Thruxtons look good too, but you can get one of those anytime.

·
Registered
255 Posts
From your description, the Triton is one of your Holy Grails. Will you be bummed that you didn't buy it and settled for something 'inspired' by the real thing?
One can look at a modern Triumph one of two ways. Its either a modern interpretation of classic styling with a personality to be envied, oooorrrrrrr, its a hollow caricature of the original, lacking its persona. I don't think either view is wrong, just different.
If it were me I would like to have the Triton as long as I could have it as a second, 'Sunday morning' kind of bike. But then again I'm not much of a mechanic.
One last thing though, to quote Mr. Spock "You may find after a time that having is not nearly so pleasing a thing as wanting. It is illogical but quite often true"

·
Registered
142 Posts
you gotta be kiddin`me !

you can buy a thruxton,,anyday,anywhere,and in the course of ones riding career you may have many,,,but i doubt that you`ll ever be able to duplicate that creature,thats something that you`ll be buried with,,thrux`s are cool,,,but they aint THAT cool ! for me the choice would be easy,,,,id opt for a divorce and have them both !!:eek:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts