Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree with Lantesh but finances always take precedence. I have an 07' Yamaha FJR1300 that I bought new and recently purchased my Storm. The FJR would be similar to your RT.

After having both I think it boils down to the kind of riding you like to do. For long rides I'd take the FJR as that's what it was meant for. Riding around town or day long rides I'd take the TBird.

Most of my riding is around town or just taking day trips so I'm on the Storm. It's an incredible bike. Very easy to ride. Handles great in the twisties as well as on the straights. And the Storm feels like it weights half of what it does when in motion. If I had to get rid of one bike it would be the FJR and its an incredible bike as well. The TBird just fits the type of riding I do so well.

Good luck with your choice.

Bill

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
The Storm handling is second to none in the cruiser market, but pales to the handling and nimbleness of the T100. I swear I can jump curbs going from the Storm to the T100.
Just to keep things in perspective, and with all due respect qball62, i have seen several bonnie owners buy Tbirds and proclaim the bir a better handling bike than thier bonnie. Even one thruxton owner said as much. Also saw 2 sportbike guys say it's in the same league except for ground clearance of course, which is the one thing that keeps it from really competing where a cruiser would ordinarily never go.

I'm not saying this to prove you are wrong, as it is subjective to some degree and there are others on your side of the debate. I'm just trying to show it's not set in stone how well the Tbird fares compared to the 865's. Personally i feel if peg clearance were good i could take on a lot of sportbikes and actually do quite well. And in fact i've done that a couple times when in high speed twisties where lean angle isn't as radical and watched some sportie guys scratch thier heads. Even had one pull over and wav me by. I'm not suggesting the bird is better than a sportbike in the curves, but a little difference between riders can level the playing field because the bike is so close, which is just crazy for a heavy cruiser. But I wouldn't say it pales compared to anything except the best of the sporties.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Just to keep things in perspective, and with all due respect qball62

Dazco,

All good.......you can say anything as long as you say with all due respect (lol).

My point being in tight twisties the T100 is more nimble, and let's you carry higher entry speeds. Mid corner corrections also favor the T100. The Storm is slightly behind in these areas, and not because of ground clearance, but because of weight. Nimbleness is good handling......period.
Now on high speed twisties the game changes more in favor of the Storm. The Storm carries it's weight at speed remarkably, and corner exits are orgasmic. Two bikes that both handle well, but in different ways. The Storm is a dream around town, but just not as flickable as the T100. On the highway the Storm is much more planted, and stable at anything approaching say 60 mph turns.

Back to the thread: If you want a tourer the RT is the bike to have. Everything from the fairing and windshield is in harmony and makes for a comfortable ride.
The T100 is a excellent all rounder, especially around town, and tight back roads.
The TBird is again an excellent all rounder, but I doubt it's comfort level compares to the RT when eating miles.
The TBird is excellent configured as a roadster (much better than the T100), and can also eat miles, but the ergonomics (fairing, and windshield) are not on par w/ the RT.

Conclusion: T100 rocks on 200-300 mile trips, on backroads. Comfort is an issue the longer the ride.

TBird rocks on superslab on 200-300 mile trips. Can also handle the tight stuff of the backroads. Much more comfortable and relaxed than the Bonneville on the superslab.

RT is the weapon of choice for long touring. Everything work in conjunction to that purpose.

So I guess it all depends on the riding you do. I have the T100 and the Storm because I rarely stray more than a couple hundred miles from home, and the differences, as well as the similarities in each are a shear joy under one garage roof. If I ventured to long touring the RT, or the Sprint would be my choice, and a decision would have to be made on keeping either the Storm, or T100. Tough choice.......gladly one I don't have to make.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I certainly agree in low speed twisties. 100% agree there. But I guess i'm looking at it from the perspective of my backyard where most of the roads i ride ARE higher speed. In the tight stuff yeah, i can see that, exceopt for one thing that i can't explain but goes against that..... once i was following a good rider (actually a member here, or at least he was....you still around jerry?) on a bonnie thru the tightest road we have here and I kept up with him to the point where he was surprised and told me as much after the ride. Granted, he would pull me just a bit here and there, but the kicker is that was on my speedmaster, a bike that didn't handle nearly as well as the Tbird. So i still can't help but wonder...

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
When I first got my Bonnie, (after a couple of years riding) I could ride it faster through the twisties than my RS (which was my first bike).

However, a few weeks doing the tight stuff on my bonnie, and feeling calmer about leaning far, scraping the pegs and turning deep in a corner and I was ready to go back on the RS.

With my new found confidence I found the RS to be so much more capable than me, and I could now hit the corners 20 to 30 mph faster than on the bonnie.

Different bikes bring out different levels of confidence in a rider. Maybe the Tbird is a very confidence inspiring bike.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Maybe the Tbird is a very confidence inspiring bike.
You couldn't have said it better. That was the first thing i noticed the day after i got it and took it up the mountains. It was confidence inspiring to the point it felt like i wasn't even doing the work, the bike was. As tho it was computer controlled and you couldn't lean too much or too little if you tried. I guess experience has taught me not to take anything for granted so i never end up taking it too far. But since then i've come to realize the bike's capabilities are above my own, so it's a safer ride than many other bikes because I tend never to push it past it's limits due to the fact i get to what i feel are mine and back off before i get to that point.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I went for a ride yesterday with a group of riders I met. They're a nice bunch of people and I'll probably do a lot more with them. They are not hard core. They do fairly easy riding on country roads and probably up to the Blue Ridge Parkway every now and then. I suspect that 200-300 miles in a day would be a long day for them. And that's how it's been for me in the past. The RT is undoubtedly the best bike I've ever owned. But it is a bike for putting on miles. I hate to say it, but I find the bike a little boring on the kind of rides that I do. It certainly is nice for when I get on the interstate at the end of the day to get home from wherever I've been. But since I don't put on 500-600 miles a day, and since I like to enjoy the twisties at a leisurely pace rather than attacking them, I just think a cruiser is more my style. Yesterday we rode out to a state park and the first 45 minutes we spent on fairly straight roads at 45-55 mph. Sitting on the BMW I was thinking I might as well me in my car.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
sgl0226,

As others have said.......get a long test ride on the TBird. I would look riding the SE, and the Storm as a comparison. Try to take your test ride on a variety of different roads, and long enough (100 miles) so that you can get over the anticipation, and relax on the bike.

Guarantee that the TBird will sell itself! Let us know how it goes, and keep us all updated.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Dealer has good prices on a couple of SE's. One was demo and other is used and has 3500 miles on it. But my son and I like the 2011 blue and white one that is on dealer floor. I'm testing the waters on cycle trader with my RT.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
About six weeks ago I helped the dealer out with demo days. I helped take groups out on demo rides, and each time I got to pick a bike to ride. I rode the Tbird on one of the rides. I just really enjoy riding cruisers. The ride home on my RT was definitely the most comfortable ride of the day, but to me motorcycle riding isn't necessarily supposed to be overly comfortable.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Told the dealer to get the blue and white 2011 TBird ready to go. Will pick it up a week from this Friday. Just couldn't resist.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I'm spending some time on the forum and came across this thread that I started. I figure I'll give an update. I sold the RT and got the Thunderbird ABS. I absolutely love it. I added the longhaul seat, Rivco risers, floorboards, tall and medium shields, bags and quick release brackets, moto lites, passenger floorboards, rider and passenger backrest. I just ordered hogslayers to give it a little more sound. I couldn't be happier. As it starts to turn cold I know I'll miss the adjustable shield, fairing, heated grips and heated seat of the RT. But then again, as much as I enjoy riding I really don't ride when it gets cold. The guy I sold my RT loves it but the last I heard he was having electrical problems with it. It's disappointing that a bike like that is so trouble prone.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Trying to choose between the two bikes, I would trade the Bonnie in and keep the BMW. I think the Bonnie and T-Bird are too similar in nature to have both,keeping in mind your two-bike thinking. Having the BMW and the T-Bird would make for a more useful and enjoyable pairing.

·
Banned
247 Posts
Trying to choose between the two bikes, I would trade the Bonnie in and keep the BMW. I think the Bonnie and T-Bird are too similar in nature to have both,keeping in mind your two-bike thinking. Having the BMW and the T-Bird would make for a more useful and enjoyable pairing.
NO doubt. The Beemer will out handle the Bonnie easily and in much more comfort.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Actually, now that I have the Tbird and enjoy it so much, I probably will sell the Bonnie. I really love the Bonnie but as you said, the two are very similar in nature. I just happen to like the nature of the Triumphs more than I liked the nature of the BMW. Not that the BMW isn't a great bike, it's just not the kind of bike that I enjoy for the kind of riding I do (2-3 hour cruising).
So if anybody out there wants a 2011 Cream/Brown T100, let me know.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts