Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, I have a new Speedmaster and as with all on my cars i always prefer to service them my self, i was reading through the Triumph Warranty Terms and it Stated it must be serviced at Authorised Triumph Dealer,

is this correct? as i thought the law changed a few years ago.

i would class my self as a proficient mechanic and have always use Genuine Parts and followed the manufactures servicing requirements.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
My dealer, over 100 miles away, said this to me when I picked up my Bonnie... It's a long way back here just to get an oil change and tighten a few bolts. Do you want to pick up some maintenance items today so that you can do this yourself when the time comes?

He then went and got the service manager and had him show me a few spots on the bike to check (bolts that loosen, how to check this or that, etc). The service guy was a great help with everything.

I beleive that he was trying to sell me some filters and Mobil1, but none the less.. he knew I wasn't coming in for the scheduled services.

I've read the same thing in the manual. I think Triumph would lose in court if you could prove that you did everything according to schedule. Save receipts for oil and filters, get a copy of the scheduled maintenance items (go to www.triumph.co.uk - select Australia, I think, they have a tech section which has some PDF's there for what to check). Save a marked copy of the scheduled items, showing that you did it. A greasy Haynes and well used shop manual would go a long way as proof also....

Again, I think you'd win out in court, but dang, wouldn't that be a hassle!!!!?? My bonnie has over 5K so far, runs like a champ and I beleive it will continue to do so. Sure, warranty claims are made, for valid reasons too, but the percentages are way in our favor. These are great rides and very well made.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the relpy, i have been looking into it and as far as i have been able to clarify the law chaged for cars only, i have been speeking with the OFT today and they are looking into it

·
Registered
991 Posts
I hear that self servicing can make hair grow on your palms!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts