Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,608 Posts
At the moment they still need a person in the vehicle to like you say 'override' the system in the event of an emergency, so they are still dependent on human reaction times and there have already been deaths caused with this system. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think companies are far off making cars totally autonomous, these are the one's that bother me the most, there is this thing about the car having to make a decision on what to do in the event of a collision, does it run the school kids down crossing the road or hit the lone motorcyclist or little old lady? the needs of the many theory. I'm not to keen on that bit.
That is correct but it did not work from killing the lady walking her bicycle across the road in Arizona. The Person in the back seat of the car was watching videos on her phone while she was supposed to be watching the road. Ran right over the lady. Never even hit the brakes. But, they said it was a glitch and is "Fixed" now. Right.....

I am by no means supportive of this autonomous self driving cars or trucks but I am afraid it is inevitable and it is going to happen. Bad news for us riders. I am not keen on it either.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That is correct but it did not work from killing the lady walking her bicycle across the road in Arizona. The Person in the back seat of the car was watching videos on her phone while she was supposed to be watching the road. Ran right over the lady. Never even hit the brakes. But, they said it was a glitch and is "Fixed" now. Right.....

I am by no means supportive of this autonomous self driving cars or trucks but I am afraid it is inevitable and it is going to happen. Bad news for us riders. I am not keen on it either.
I did see that on the news, so even with these semi-autonomous cars how can the powers that be, be 100% sure that the human in the car is being vigilant all the time and not playing games on their phone. I think you are right about it being an inevitability that these things will start using the same roads as us, I just hope that whoever's in charge has done their homework properly.
I do think it'll be a long time off though, hopefully.

·
Super Moderator
1,608 Posts
I hope so too but I really think it's right around the corner here in the US. The 18 wheelers are in use right now from what I seen on the news. That actually worries me less than the in town high traffic areas.
Remember those movies from wayyyyy back where the robots and electronics take over the planet.... Funny how so many things in those crazy far fetched old Si Fi movies and TV shows actually have come true and are coming true. :alien:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I know they are testing the cars on UK roads, not so sure about trucks, but I think a lot of it would be down to affordability over here. Electric cars have only just come into a lot of peoples reach, so I would imagine something with self-driving tech would be massively expensive to purchase and well out of the average persons price range.
Here's some stuff from 'Star Trek' when William Shatner was captain that has become reality, not sure how accurate this is mind you,

This ones a bit better, you don't have to join up :rolleyes:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just wondering. Can self driving cars see the huge pot holes we have in N.E. Pennsylvania?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts