Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested to know other riders thoughts on the safety of self driving cars. I'm not sure if I would be happy travelling on the same stretch of road as one.

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
They are an absolute menace. I can not believe they are permitted on public roads at their current level of performance. Numerous cases of collisions and deaths from these already. Companies are not held responsible because driver is supposed to be ready to override at all times. That right there says these things should not be legal. They need to be held to at least same standard as human driver to get a license. They need to pass actual driver road testing like a human does at a minimum.
Human drivers are far from perfect but these things are even worse when they encounter unusual situations. Anyone thinking the tech is ready is fooling themselves.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At the moment they still need a person in the vehicle to like you say 'override' the system in the event of an emergency, so they are still dependent on human reaction times and there have already been deaths caused with this system. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think companies are far off making cars totally autonomous, these are the one's that bother me the most, there is this thing about the car having to make a decision on what to do in the event of a collision, does it run the school kids down crossing the road or hit the lone motorcyclist or little old lady? the needs of the many theory. I'm not to keen on that bit.

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
Yes, fully autonomous still on horizon. Real issue is none of these systems actually have what we call life experience. They "learn" how to decide what to do by being given huge databases of objects to identify. So they know what a cat is by seeing thousands. But they dont know how a cat behaves in a given situation. They see a child on sidewalk and a ball moving but cannot make the prediction of what might happen next.

You raise the morality issues. Id like to think if I had to choose what to run into,the family on side walk while surviving myself. or the lamppost and likely dying, I'd put myself at risk.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You raise the morality issues. Id like to think if I had to choose what to run into,the family on side walk while surviving myself. or the lamppost and likely dying, I'd put myself at risk.
This is it, I would do the same I think that's human nature. Would an autonomous car make the same sort of decision though, kill it's passengers or kill the family, I can't see how it could make a rational decision like this to easily.

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
This is it, I would do the same I think that's human nature. Would an autonomous car make the same sort of decision though, kill it's passengers or kill the family, I can't see how it could make a rational decision like this to easily.
And then you would need to live with that system's decision rest of your life (assuming you survived).

Another point, insurance fault. Right now the car vendor has absolutely no responsibility/full immunity. So if a claim is made, the "owner/operator" must take all the burden here, even if it was the automonous systems failings that lead to the claim.

These systems should not be allowed to operate in public until legislation catches up with all the potentialities. Right now it is the wild west...

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And then you would need to live with that system's decision rest of your life (assuming you survived).

Another point, insurance fault. Right now the car vendor has absolutely no responsibility/full immunity. So if a claim is made, the "owner/operator" must take all the burden here, even if it was the automonous systems failings that lead to the claim.

These systems should not be allowed to operate in public until legislation catches up with all the potentialities. Right now it is the wild west...
I think as it stands with the cars that are not fully autonomous on the roads at the moment the insurance responsibility should be completely down to the owner as it is now. With fully autonomous vehicles then surely responsibility should be down to the vendor. I don't think these vehicles should be on public roads full stop, as you well know there are way to many hazards around for accidents not to happen. Maybe if every vehicle on the road was autonomous, and used on streets with no pedestrians, not for a long time yet though.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I'm interested to know other riders thoughts on the safety of self driving cars. I'm not sure if I would be happy travelling on the same stretch of road as one.
This guy is just hilarious :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
I'm concerned about the self driving cars but I'm scared to death of the thought of semi's self driving, hell 40 tons of cargo along with the weight of the semi scooting down the interstate at 70mph doesnt seam like a good idea to me but I'm sure its coming.

·
Driftless Admin
11,399 Posts
I wonder. The self driving vehicle folks will say their vehicles kill people at a lower rate than manned vehicles kill people. But folks don't do probability well. All we know is we don't want robots killing us. They can't make an unmanned vehicle 100% safe, so I think the lawsuits will keep 100% autonomous vehicles from being anything but a niche.

Lane assist and technology that steps up cruise control to automatically adjust speed based on distance to other cars is getting mainstream. We'll get more technology to help drivers be safer. But personally I think 100% self-driving cars will ever come, not until after we get our flying cars anyways.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Now, the self-driving motorcycle... that'll be the thing.
No special clothing required.
You could just wave it bye-bye and sit on the couch watching the scenery thru wireless.
And just think... when it crashes, you won't be on it!
Fun!

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
You could just wave it bye-bye and sit on the couch watching the scenery thru wireless.
Fun!
Here you go, Honda has a self balancing concept bike:

Just saw a rerun of the original Star Trek " Ultimate Computer" where crew of Enterprise try unsuccessfully to regain control of ship from the M5 computer. M5 attacks four other ships while the crew is powerless to stop it. Kirk is earlier referred to as Captain Dunsel, a part of a vessel that services no purpose. When the attack begins the other ships blame him for it.
This is our current reality folks!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'm concerned about the self driving cars but I'm scared to death of the thought of semi's self driving, hell 40 tons of cargo along with the weight of the semi scooting down the interstate at 70mph doesnt seam like a good idea to me but I'm sure its coming.
They're talking about running those things in convoy sort of like a train of them, that'll be a bloody big mess to clear up in a smash. I just can't see how they can introduce these things to the road whilst you still got normal stuff driving around.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fun!
This is a quote that 'ripper' posted on another thread, It seems BMW are already on that one,
BMW also have a concept bike with self balancing and they say it eliminates the need to wear any gear, even a helmet (their words, not mine).

·
Registered
282 Posts
Automated would be preferable to autonomous. The former should take you wherever you instruct, the latter might decide to ambush you one day with a surprise journey to an unknown destination, perhaps deciding to lock the doors to prevent escape.

The automated car will probably reduce car ownership by individuals by 90+% in urban areas in the UK. Press buttons on your handheld device and a car turns up; this already occurs, but with a human driver.

The widespread use of automated cars in the UK will probably result on all automated cars following routes as designated by "the authorities" ; this will probably create a network of virtually unused sideroads which can only be enjoyed by those who prefer to be in full control. Yes please!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Automated would be preferable to autonomous. The former should take you wherever you instruct, the latter might decide to ambush you one day with a surprise journey to an unknown destination, perhaps deciding to lock the doors to prevent escape.
NEVER leave home without your cordless angle grinder and portable oxy-acetylene. 🤣

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
For the record... I have no desire to have a self-driving motorcycle or any other self-driving vehicle, nor do I like the idea of being on the road with any of the sort.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For the record... I have no desire to have a self-driving motorcycle or any other self-driving vehicle, nor do I like the idea of being on the road with any of the sort.
The whole idea just sounds like madness, but you never know humans may be able to get used to it pretty quick. It wasn't that long ago people thought the idea of flying was crazy, but millions do it now. I'm with you on this though, I think it's a crap idea.

·
Premium Member
1,801 Posts
At the moment they still need a person in the vehicle to like you say 'override' the system in the event of an emergency, so they are still dependent on human reaction times and there have already been deaths caused with this system..
can't say I am too keen on sharing the road with them. imagine this. 99.9999% of the time they operate just fine and as the person in the vehicle just sits in there and is expected to "overide" the system if bad things suddenly happen, how would he or she react? often that overiding person would have gathered so much trust and false comfort in the vehicle they become blazei. as a result their reaction maybe tardy at best or at worse the occupant is asleep at the wheel, or just too preoccupied on their smart phone.

last year I had the personal experience where a car nudged my back wheel while I was sitting on my bike at a stop sign. no damage, but it gave me a good push that I wasnt expecting and my first reaction was "WTFWT?". questioning the driver of the car that reared me the response was "oh, I wasnt paying attention as I thought the autonomous brakes would take care of things"
I dont know why it happened, maybe the car's sensor was dirty or I was obscured some how, but I mean "fer Christs sake watch where yer bloody well going"

1 - 20 of 27 Posts