Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Mine are self-cancelling. If I remember to do it.
I laugh inside my helmet at newbs leaving their blinkers on and try to help them out with the finger flash, then to my horror, catch myself leaving my own blinkers on once in a while. Doesn't matter how much practice you've had, memory doesn't improve with age, which is why I like the OP's link. You can forget thousands of times with only the consequence of looking like a dork. It's that one time.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I wonder how many of us who have put a lot of miles on road bikes can honestly say that they have never been riding along only to notice their turn signal has been on for a long distance after the turn? There have been times on my Triumph, particularly with winter gloves on, that I had thought I had turned them off, but didn't push the switch in adequately. Other times I have been distracted by something, like cars potentially pulling out in front of me, that just caused me to just plain forget. It doesn't happen that often and I don't think I am that unusual or incompetent of a rider. But I'd venture it does happen on occasion to most all of us mere mortals. If it has never happened to you, which I will agree is possible, you are indeed an exceptional rider. Another scenario could be that it just doesn't bother a rider if he found that he rode for miles with his turn signal on.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
On our bikes, pressing the button doesn?t always turn the signal off.
Standard Triumph button philosophy: press (all the way in) and release completely. Works for every button, every time.

Positive movements get positive results. A half-hearted effort is likely to get nothing.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
On our bikes, pressing the button doesn?t always turn the signal off.
Standard Triumph button philosophy: press (all the way in) and release completely. Works for every button, every time.

Positive movements get positive results. A half-hearted effort is likely to get nothing.
I?ll try do be more deliberate in the button pushing department. My TBird had an auto cancel. Buttons are passe.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just ordered an STS also. Tired of discovering a flashing green arrow on my dash long after I turned. Plus, my left thumb is getting tendonitis from pushing that stupid cancel button!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had the STS on my first Street Twin. It was...OK. My biggest issue was that the smallest wiggle at a stop light would cancel for your signals, but often the action of changing lanes on the highway wouldn't. I haven't put them back on the new bike, and I really don't miss it all that much.

·
Registered
252 Posts
If anyone has any install questions, we can definitely help out. We have installed on both air cooled models and water cooled models. We also offer extension harnesses to make the install a little easier at https://www.ajcyclesny.com/product-page/safer-turn-sts

I?ll be putting a detailed install article together shortly
Good, as I have the module sitting on my table contemplating how I and where I will install it on my '17 Bonneville T100.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just ordered an STS also. Tired of discovering a flashing green arrow on my dash long after I turned. Plus, my left thumb is getting tendonitis from pushing that stupid cancel button!
You do have to push it very straight, and awfully hard. Thick gloves can make the job even worse.
I make very sure I have the signal cancelled as we have enough trouble with cars pulling out in front of us without making them think we intend on turning. I'm a little surprised that DOT hasn't insisted on self cancelling signals as a safety issue. If I ever decide to start modifying my machine, this and the flashing brake light will be a couple of the first things. I saw a flashing headlight last summer, but it could have been something the guy rigged up on his own. Not sure f that's legal (for daytime use), but it was sure hard to miss the guy coming.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts