Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
67 t100c

has been sitting for 30 years motor wont kick start, gear foot selector is frozen as well..

any tips on freeing these up before I begin complete teardown?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Don't really know about 30 yrs. worth of seizeure but I freed off a well stuck engine with heat. Penetrating oil for sure, let it sit overnight in an unheated area, the colder the better then heat the barrels with a torch as evenly as possible all the while rocking it back and forth in top gear.

·
Registered
424 Posts
A study found that a 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone was the most effective over Kroil, PB Blaster etc. The kroil came in a very strong second.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
If it's a complete bike,start by tying the clutch lever back to the handlebar.
Take off the primary cover and see how much rust is there.That alone could be stopping it.
Drain the water out of the gearbox (it's sure to be there),and re-fill it with penetrating oil (WD-40 etc).If the gearbox is already in gear,that could help.

Pull out sparkplugs and see how far pistons are from TDC;about mid-stroke is good.Pour some penetrating oil in the cylinders,and re-fit the plugs.

I like to see that the valves are not stuck.Some penetrating oil on the stems can help;through the rockerbox,and into the ports.If the pistons aren't close to TDC,you can bounce the valves open 1/16" or so and see if they spring back.

You might be able to detect some movement,if you put a spanner on the crank at the rotor nut.

Let us know what you find.It will be easier to pull apart or even start up,if you don't go any further than that for now.I've started up stuff that sat in a field 30 years,and had it running after unsticking valves.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's where we went...

Thank you for your responses!!

I'm gonna start my resto photo series, I post everything there..

Cheers
Rob

·
Registered
892 Posts
Good Luck with this project. I will be very interested on how it goes for you.

You may want to check out a copy of Motorbooks Workshop "How to Restore Your Motorcycle" 2nd edition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts