Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally went ahead with a rejet this weekend after installing new pipes on my 05 T100. Unfortunately, one of my mixture screws seems completely seized. I won't budge in either direction. I don't think the previous owner ever touched them. Fortunately, it looks to be at about the same level as the other one, which I was able to adjust. But there's no guaranteeing that I won't have to tweak anything, so I'm wondering what to do. I tried Liquid Wrench to no avail. For what it's worth, the D Tool I got from British Customs (in addition to providing almost no torque) seems to be a bit too large.

Any thoughts on how to move this thing? What are my options?

·
30,527 Posts
If it were me I would take the carbs right off to address that, then you can make sure you get the D tool right on the screw, nice and snug. Leave the carbs upside down overnight with some liquid wrench soaking into the screw. Then give it a try.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have two D-tools....one is great, the other has 30 degrees of slop and surely couldn't provide any torque.

I think you just need a good D-tool. The good one I have came from newbonneville.com

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If it were me I would take the carbs right off to address that, then you can make sure you get the D tool right on the screw, nice and snug. Leave the carbs upside down overnight with some liquid wrench soaking into the screw. Then give it a try.
I've had two D-tools, one was crap, the one from NB wasn't bad, went with NB idle mixture screw on my "old" CVK's.

O.K. As far as seized bolt's Prop's idea works, another trick I use at work as a plant mechanic for crushing, washing, batching concrete and asphalt operations when bolts are rusted, and can't torch them off with Victor, (Don't F/U those bearings!) I use a little anti freeze sprayed on the nasty bugger and BINGO! No strip! Especially on Allen head bolts that get a lot of water exposure...
Works for me...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
propforward: I had them off, but didn't let them sit for quite that long and now I've put them back on. I guess I'll have to pull them off again.

dledinger: That 30 degrees is about what mine is doing. Good thing it only cost $15! What a waste.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Flaco: Are those the NB thumbscrews or are they just stock replacements?
NB's still in the bag... unused...
Part # nbep-1040...
Oh G_D a tax number as a part number!!!
Want 'em?
pm me...
gotta go...
Check email tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Webmaster...
What's up w/ the classifieds?